• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Formats for Anime My Collection

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
warhammerkid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:50 pm Reply with quote
I just bought several Raw Japanese Blu-ray discs, but there is not an option for them in the formats drop-down. If the "encyclopedist" could add that as a valid format, that would be greatly appreciated.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Only Dan could add more formats.

By the way, contrary to the misconception of most American users on this site, VCD has been and still is a valid, legal format that is being produced nowadays. If defunct formats like LD, UMD, and HD-DVD can exist I don't see why VCD cannot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:49 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
contrary to the misconception of most American users on this site, VCD has been and still is a valid, legal format that is being produced nowadays.

I don't think it's really a misconception but rather stems from the fact that VCDs are pretty much non-existent in North America. For whatever reason, it's a format that just never caught on here. I didn't even know what they were until the first time I visited Singapore and saw them in a store.

That being said, there is certainly a lot of legally produced anime available on VCD, so for the non-North American visitors to the site it would be nice to see it added as an option.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:16 am Reply with quote
ManOfRust wrote:
I don't think it's really a misconception but rather stems from the fact that VCDs are pretty much non-existent in North America. For whatever reason, it's a format that just never caught on here. I didn't even know what they were until the first time I visited Singapore and saw them in a store.

An important factor was that when the technology of VCD came out, most American families already had had VHS players, and the space-conscious, moisture-resistant advantages of VCD could not justify its inferior video quality. I've written about the issue almost two years ago.

That said, with VCD basically nonexistent in the legal market of North America, it is much more commonly witnessed at Asian towns selling "imports" i.e. bootlegs, thus many American anime fans incorrectly believe "VCD = bootleg."

ManOfRust wrote:
That being said, there is certainly a lot of legally produced anime available on VCD, so for the non-North American visitors to the site it would be nice to see it added as an option.

Including newest popular titles like Lucky Star.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:37 am Reply with quote
warhammerkid wrote:
I just bought several Raw Japanese Blu-ray discs, but there is not an option for them in the formats drop-down. If the "encyclopedist" could add that as a valid format, that would be greatly appreciated.

Well that was really easy to do, so done.

dormcat wrote:
By the way, contrary to the misconception of most American users on this site, VCD has been and still is a valid, legal format that is being produced nowadays. If defunct formats like LD, UMD, and HD-DVD can exist I don't see why VCD cannot.

The original reason why I didn't put VCD is because in 99% of cases it's used for piracy; e.g. people burning fansubs on VCD. Even at the time when I made that decision I was aware of a few cases where VCDs were used to distribute legal anime in HK, but even then the vast majority of HK VCDs were pirate copies. Care to correct me?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:58 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
The original reason why I didn't put VCD is because in 99% of cases it's used for piracy; e.g. people burning fansubs on VCD.

Technically speaking, if it was "burned" then it's not a VCD made from a legal factory, but rather a CD-R recorded with either DivX-encoded fansub files (my Pioneer DVD player can read those) or burning MPEG video (and one has to convert files before burning) onto a CD-R with VCD format.

Dan42 wrote:
Even at the time when I made that decision I was aware of a few cases where VCDs were used to distribute legal anime in HK, but even then the vast majority of HK VCDs were pirate copies. Care to correct me?

I understand that as a North American English-based website, with its majority of users located at the same continent, it might be necessary to make sacrifices in order to avoid unwanted accusations e.g. "how can you allow users to add bootleg VCD in their collections?" Therefore, I can only wish that evidences shown below are sufficient to provide a good reason for a VCD option as a valid format.

First I have to admit that I don't know much about the current market situations in Hong Kong, but Intercontinental Video Ltd. (IVL, now part of Kadokawa Group as Kadokawa Intercontinental Group Holdings Ltd.) has released VCD of Studio Ghibli titles like Spirited Away. If you really want more proofs I'll ask my friends in HK.

Now, for the market I familiar the most: Taiwan. The four major licensees (Mighty, Muse, Proware, Top-Insight; Proware's catalog is now complete at ANN, others' are being added now) all carry VCD even today, although in various degrees.

Mighty is clearing out its remaining VCD reserves. VCD is still available for extra-long series like Naruto and Keroro as packs, for parents don't want to invest too much on complete sets of DVD; they just want pacifiers.

Muse has VCD as combo packs as well, but including some less "generic" titles, like MariMite + MariMite Haru and Ramen Fighter Miki (just NT$299 -- US$8.99!). More "generic" titles like Love Hina is also available.

Proware is probably the last company that continues pumping its newest licenses in VCD format: Lucky Star, School Days, Clannad, Code Geass, you name it. Many of its longtime customers are bewildered by their decision and insistence, though.

Top-Insight's online store My-Cartoon does not have a dedicated VCD area like the other three, but many of its titles, either older ones like Full Moon O Sagashite or newer ones like The Prince of Tennis, still have VCD versions (and sometimes VCD only) available.

By the way, the all-time American fans' favorite Cowboy Bebop was licensed by Top-Insight as VCD, but its sale was quite poor and almost forgotten. TV appearance is still the most important factor for popularity (thus Top-Insight was the first to cooperate with Chunghwa Telecom's MOD PPV service).

Hope these information helps.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:20 am Reply with quote
I never doubted that there existed legit VCD titles, but it seems there's more of them than I thought. Still, what's going to happen is that once the release database is upgraded to be user-editable, I'll add VCD to the formats. That way there will be some oversight in terms of preventing bootleg VCDs from getting into the database. But it won't be possible to add VCD "custom releases" as you can currently do with other formats in MyAnime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1