The Edit List
Dragonball GT 36, 37
by Mike Majeski,
1. IN RECAP – In the shot of Goku (in Gorilla form) and Pan in the background, and Mr. Satan/Hercule in the foreground. The word “SATAN” has been removed from his back.
2. During Goku's transformation from giant gorilla to Super Saiyan 4. The panning shot from the back to his face – CUT. (Probably because he's butt naked)
3. In the continuing shot Goku's transformation from giant gorilla to Super Saiyan 4. The scene is cropped to eliminate Goku's bare butt.
4. In the shot of Mr. Satan/ Hercule's back, the word “SATAN” is removed.
5. Goku's “Mr. Satan, you'll take care of Pan.” changed to “Hercule, you'll take care of Pan.”
6. Scene where Goku is taking repeated punches to the face, ending with Baby punching Goku in the stomach – CUT.
7. Goku quiet laughing and Baby saying “stop laughing!” – CUT.
8. NOT AN EDIT – In the shot of Baby on Bulma's monitor. All of Baby's wounds where left in.
9. In the second shot of Baby in Bulma's monitor. The blood driping from the corners of Baby's mouth has been removed. (This will be the case until Baby's transformation into a giant gorilla)
10. IN PREVIEW – In the close-up shot of Baby (In giant gorilla form), blood coming from his mouth has been removed.
I know what your thinking, why did I list edit #8? Especially since it seemed so minor at the time. Well, the answer is quite simple. Just before Goku transformed, he had similar wounds and the censors edited them out.
37. The Tuffle Gorilla Attacks
1. Pan's “Grandpa Satan!” changed to “Grandpa Hercule!” (I have to admit, either way sounds strange)
2. In the shot of Mr. Satan/ Hercule's back, the word “SATAN” is removed. (5 occurrences)
3. In the shot of Baby's (in gorilla form) face, after Goku kicks him in the back of the head, blood coming out of Baby's mouth is removed.
4. In the close-up of Goku's face, the blood spray has been removed. The result of Baby's, in gorilla form, punch.
5. Goku's “Mr. Satan, can you take care of these two?” changed to “Hercule, can you take care of these two?”
6. Shot of a group watching a dog pissing on a fire Hydrant, just before Baby's attack lands on the earth – CUT.
7. Close-up shot of a pedestrian looking up, just before Baby's attack lands on the earth – CUT.
8. Goku's “Now, laugh at this.” changed to “Now, smile for me.” (Why? This edit makes no sense.)
9. Goku's “I'm sorry, Vegeta. I had to sacrifice your body, but it was for the survival of the Earth and its people.” changed to “I'm sorry, Vegeta. I had to sacrifice your life, but it was for the survival of the Earth and its people.” (Again, Why?)
10. In the successive shots of Gohan, Trunks, and then Goten. The red coloring in their scraps has been removed.
Blood edits, I hate blood edits. Most of the edits in this episode could have been left in and hardly anyone would of noticed, they're that minor.
And then we have those confusing dialog edits near the end of the episode. At the point when Goku attacks Baby. Baby is laughing at Goku's anguish, so changing Goku's line to “Now, smile for me” makes little sense. And then in the next edit, I guess the censor's believe that sacrificing someone's life is better than their body. It seems like the same thing to me.