Ajin: Demi-Human Film Trilogy Unveils Teaser Trailer, Staff from Sidonia
posted on by Egan Loo
Kodansha's good! Afternoon magazine unveiled the first teaser trailer, staff, and theatrical teaser visual for the anime film trilogy of Gamon Sakurai's Ajin - Demi-Human manga. The teaser announces that Polygon Pictures, the studio that animated Knights of Sidonia and won Daytime Emmy Awards (Transformers Prime, Star Wars: The Clone Wars) and an Annie Award (Tron: Uprising), is producing the trilogy.
Text: The forbidden comic that shocked the world
Voice: Ajin are immortal entities
Text: 46 in the world
Text: Mysterious new lifeform
Text: Immortal body
Kei: It can't be!
Text: A battle survival suspense story about a high school student targeted by all of humanity
Text: Ajin: Demi-Human
Text: Anime film trilogy green-lit
Voice: I'm not human after all.
Text: If you die, you'd understand.
The main staff includes:
- Original Story: Gamon Sakurai (serializing in Kodansha's good! Afternoon)
- Chief Director: Hiroyuki Seshita (Knights of Sidonia, Knights of Sidonia: Battle for Planet Nine)
- Director: Hiroaki Ando (Five Numbers!, Gambo, episode director on Knights of Sidonia)
- Series Script Supervisor: Hiroshi Seko (Seraph of the End: Vampire Reign, scripts on Attack on Titan)
- Production Designer: Naoya Tanaka (Knights of Sidonia)
- Character Designer: Yuki Moriyama (Knights of Sidonia)
- Modeling Director: Mitsunori Kataama (Knights of Sidonia, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle, Macross Plus)
- Art Director: Hiroshi Takiguchi (The Garden of Words, The Case of Hana & Alice)
- Color Key: Hironori Nochi (Knights of Sidonia, Fairy Tail, Love Live! School idol project)
- Unit Directors: Akio Kazumi, Ryo-timo, Keisuke Ide
- CG Supervisors: Takeshi Iwata, Yūki Mizoguchi, Susumi Sugai
- Sound Director: Yoshikazu Iwanami
- Music: Yuugo Kanno (Psycho-Pass, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders)
- Animation Production: Polygon Pictures (Knights of Sidonia, Ronja the Robber's Daughter, Transformers Prime)
- Distribution: Toho
- Presented by: Ajin Management Committee
In the manga's story, an immortal first appeared on an African battlefield 17 years ago. Later, rare, unknown new immortal lifeforms began appearing among humans, and they became known as "Ajin" (demi-humans). Just before summer vacation, a Japanese high school student named Kei Nagai is instantly killed in a traffic accident on his way home from school. However, he is revived, and a price is placed on his head. Thus begins a boy's life on the run from all of humankind.
Sakurai launched the manga in Kodansha's good! Afternoon magazine in 2012, and Kodansha published the sixth compiled book volume in Japan on Friday. The six volumes have 3.2 million copies in print. Vertical published the fifth volume in North America on Tuesday. Crunchyroll is posting new chapters as Kodansha publishes them in Japan.
The manga ranked as a top manga series on the Nationwide Bookstore Employees' Recommended Comics of 2014 list and in the 2014 edition of the Kono Manga ga Sugoi! guidebook. It received a nomination for the 18th Annual Tezuka Osamu Cultural Prize "Reader Award" last year.
this article has been modified since it was originally posted; see change history