Whistle! Stage Play's Visuals Feature Cast in Costume
posted on by Kyle Hallmark
The official website of the Whistle! BREAK THROUGH -Kabe o Tsukiyabure- (Whistle! BREAK THROUGH -Tear Down the Wall-) stage play adaptation of Daisuke Higuchi's Whistle! manga revealed two new visuals featuring the play's cast in costume on Saturday and Sunday.
The visual revealed on Saturday features the members of Sakura Jōsui Junior High School's soccer club, while the visual revealed on Sunday features the members of the rival Musashinomori Academy's soccer club.
The website also revealed two additional cast members on Monday. Ryō Kitamura will play Tsubasa Shiina, and Masashi Taniguchi will play Sōjū Matsushita.
The cast of Sakura Jōsui Junior High School's soccer club includes:
- Kaito Nakamura as Shō Kazamatsuri
- Ryutarō Akimoto as Tatsuya Mizuno
- Maasa Igarashi as Shigeki Satō
- Ryotarō Kosaka as Daichi Fuwa
- Shōdai Moriuchi as Masato Takai
- Ryōki Nagae as Ippei Toyama
- Takeru Naya as Yoshihiko Koga
- Kaita Fukushima as Kaoru Gomi
- Kotaro Ito as Mamoru Tanaka
- Daigo Ogata as Yūsuke Morinaga
- Ren Akazawa as Hideomi Hanazawa
- Mahiro Takahashi as Hiroyoshi Noro
The cast of Musashinomori Academy's soccer club includes:
- Taiyō Ayukawa as Katsurō Shibusawa
- Masanari Wada as Seiji Fujishiro
- Yūhei Sagawa as Akira Mikami
- Mao Katō as Takumi Kasai
- Yutori Mine as Shigeru Mamiya
- Kōta Sakamoto as Ryōhei Tatsumi
- Kōji Kominami as Shūji Nakanishi
- Yūho Matsui as Shinobu Kondō
- Takayuki Fukōin as Yasuto Negishi
- Kaisei Abe as Tsuyoshi Takada
- Yoshihito Ichinose as Yūki Ōmori
- Bunta Nagamatsu as Tomoyuki Yamakawa
Mami Suzuki will direct the play and write the script. The play will run at Tokyo's Theater 1010 for 14 performances from August 31 to September 8. General admission tickets will go on sale on June 18 for 6,500 yen (about US$60), while premium seat tickets will sell for 8,500 yen (US$79). Two rounds of a reserve ticket lottery will take place from May 14-18 and May 26-31. Additionally, a countdown event for the play will be held at Tokyo's Yotsuya Kumin Hall on May 22.
Whistle! centers on Sho Kazamatsuri, a boy who wants to play soccer, but is prohibited by his short stature. He transfers to a different school, hoping to join a soccer team with a different point of view. There, he hones his skills and struggles to earn acceptance to the soccer team while dealing with his height disadvantage.
Higuchi serialized the manga in Shueisha's Weekly Shonen Jump magazine from 1998 to 2002. Shueisha released 24 compiled book volumes for the series. Viz Media released all 24 volumes in English from 2004 to 2010, and released the manga digitally from 2013 to 2014. The manga received a 39-episode television anime adaptation in 2002-2003.