Free London Screening of Giovanni's Island on August 12 (Updated)
posted on by Andrew Osmond
A previous version of the story gave the screening date of Chieri to Cherry as Sunday 18 August. In fact, it is Saturday 18 August; apologies for the mistake.
The Japan Foundation has annnounced a second batch of free screenings of Japanese films in London in August, under the heading "Summer Explorers". The screenings must be booked online; scroll down the page to find the booking links for all the films. The anime screenings are:
- Misuho Nishikubo's film Giovanni's Island, showing on Sunday August 12 at 4.15 p.m. at the Courthouse Cinema at 19-21 Great Marlborough Street (off Regent Street).
- Makoto Nakamura's 54-minute puppet anime film Chieri to Cherry (Chieri and Cherry) showing at Saturday August 18 at 2.30 p.m. at Regent Street, 309 Regent Street. The film's story centers around Chieri, a sixth grade girl. Her only friend is a stuffed toy named Cherry, which she found while hiding in the cellar during her father's funeral. Chieri and Cherry undertake a journey on the border between fantasy and reality. The trailer is below:
The Japan Foundation previously annnounced other free screenings of Japanese films in London, under the heading, "Pre-Summer Explorers". These screenings must also be booked online; scroll down the page to find the booking links for all the films. The anime screenings are:
- Mamoru Hosoda's film Summer Wars, showing on Sunday August 5 at 2.15 p.m. at the Courthouse Cinema at 19-21 Great Marlborough Street (off Regent Street).
- Isao Takahata's Studio Ghibli film Only Yesterday, showing at Saturday August 11 at 2.15 p.m. at the Soho Hotel Cinema, 4 Richmond Mews (near Shaftesbury Avenue).
- Kenji Kamiyama's film Napping Princess, showing at Saturday August 11 at 4.40 p.m. at the Soho Hotel Cinema, 4 Richmond Mews (near Shaftesbury Avenue).
The screenings of Only Yesterday and Napping Princess are described as being in Japanese with subtitles, but it is not specified whether the Summer Wars screening will be subtitled or dubbed.
this article has been modified since it was originally posted; see change history