• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

7 Victims of Kyoto Animation Fire Still in Hospital

posted on by Rafael Antonio Pineda
Personal damages from fire are over 4 billion yen; custody of donation account handed to local government

The Asahi Shimbun newspaper as well as the Asahi Broadcasting News reported on Saturday and Friday, respectively, that seven injured women from the July 18 fire at Kyoto Animation's Studio 1 building are still undergoing treatment at the hospital. Three are in critical condition, one in serious condition, and three are still being treated for burns or broken bones.

A total of 70 people were inside the building when the July 18 fire broke out. 35 people died, while 34 were injured, with one person unharmed. An additional man in his 40s on his way to work in the area suffered minor injuries from smoke inhalation.

Among those injured, there are 15 men and 19 women, with ages ranging from 21 to 53 years old. More than 70% of the injured are in their 20s and 30s, and mostly from the prefectures of Kyoto, Osaka, Shiga, and Nara. The Asahi Shimbun reported that there are several workers who are unable to return to work due to the trauma they experienced.

According to Daisuke Okeda, Kyoto Animation's lawyer, personal damages resulting from the fire amount to more than 4 billion yen (about US$38 million), even after workers' compensation.

Kyoto Animation also revealed last week that it has handed control of the account it set up to receive donations to the custody of the Kyoto Prefectural Government, who will oversee the donation money's transfer to the victims of the fire and their families. Kyoto Animation added that it will not handle the money itself.

On July 18 at around 10:30 a.m. JST, devastating arson was committed at Kyoto Animation's 1st Studio building, killing 35 people and injuring 34 others. 30 fire engines responded to the fire, and firefighters were able to extinguish most of the fire within five hours after it started, but the fire was not fully put out until 6:20 a.m. on July 19. Kyoto Prefectural Police have already apprehended a 41-year-old man who allegedly used gasoline to start the fire, and they are investigating the case as arson.

Sources: The Asahi Shimbun (link 2), ABC News, Kyoto Animation via Crunchyroll

discuss this in the forum (5 posts) |
bookmark/share with: short url

News homepage / archives