• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Introductions / Meet ANN / Tell us about Yourself (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:34 am Reply with quote
Yes, I "swing both ways". I think girls are much hotter physically than guys (my fiance knows this and doesn't mind). But, I can't "be" with a girl because I can't stand most female personalities. I just like to look at them.

I, too, like 2D a lot. I wouldn't take 2D over real life, but I do have my crushes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
The Eva Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Hello everyone, my name is Aaron, I'm 27 and from Baltimore, Maryland. I thought I would spend some time here and get to know this community a bit better.

I'm a web designer by profession and wannabe filmmaker. I enjoy movies, video games, machinima, the internet, staffing conventions, and speaking at conventions as a panelist.

I'm also very heavily involved and connected within the Evangelion fan community. You may know me if you've ever stopped by EvaMonkey.Com or EvaGeeks.Org.

I also love zombies, cats, blueberries, eBay, and dinosaurs before they got all feathery and stupid-looking. When I was your age, Pluto was a planet. I can whoop your butt in Tetris and Tekken Tag Tournament. You can probably whoop my butt in Halo. I can write raw CSS and HTML in Notepad. I rock out, so take notes.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:59 am Reply with quote
So people know what's going on, I just removed about a dozen or so relatively recent posts from this thread because a) they were getting a bit too chatty for what this thread is supposed to be (i.e. an introduction thread) and b) some of the subject matter was straying in an inappropriate direction.

And just so we're clear here: making comments about someone's introduction is okay for this thread, but spinning it off into a side conversation isn't.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CMDG

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:05 am Reply with quote
Hey guys, this is my official introduction

Name: Aaron
Sex: Male
Marital Status: Single
Ethnicity: 100% Chinese or so I think..............
Job: Geomatics Engineer Student
Likes: Video games, anime (obviously lol), computers, snowboarding
Dislikes: Bad drivers (ex: not signalling, stopping in a merge lane, driving 20 km/h under the limit)
Favorite Games: Team Fortress Classic, Final Fantasy X, Pokemon Gold/Silver and Battlefield 2 to name a few
Favorite Music: Alternative rock, video game soundtracks, electronic, and a little bit of comedy rap and metal

Random facts:
- I have hazel eyes (Brown on the outside, olive green towards center) (hence i kinda question if my family is really 100% chinese)
-I'm right handed for writing, but is lefty for other things such as using a baseball bat, playing guitar hero (Anime hyper), and brushing teeth.
Metaflux

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Been a lurker for a while and hesitated to sign up because of the strict forum regulations. I guess going from Totse/Zoklet to this is a major change, things over there are extremely lenient compared to this place. But I'm kinda seeing why, probably due to the heavy traffic this forum gets compared to others (esp. zoklet).

Anyways... My name is Dana and I live close to Madison, WI and I'm anywhere from 21-25 years old. I don't really like to tell people my age for various reasons and to be honest I feel like I'm much younger than I actually am. I go to school at the MATC so if anyone here does as well feel free to PM me. I also go to the Anime club they have at my campus on Wednesdays and I really like most of the people there but I can't quite understand the club leader. He just seems kinda unresponsive to me even though I came up to introduce myself, he just brushed me off. But that's a totally unrelated subject (I threw that in there in case he sees this hehe)

I really enjoy anime and right now I feel like I'm in the transitional period from Anime newb to journeyman. Just finished watching the preliminaries and I'm starting to make my way through the lesser known titles. Mostly enjoy romance, action, mystery/horror, and comedy genres but I'm very open to anything that's good. Something I've noticed since I started going to the Anime club and this forum, everyone has these names they use to describe certain types of Anime. To be honest at one point I started to learn these Japanese labels but soon realized they kinda "cookie cut" the shows for me. It's harder to just relax and enjoy a show once I learn it was made for a different target audience than myself. It's very easy for me to find and watch an Anime series and 95% I watch it through the entire season. Really my only preliminary procedure is to check the ANN rating and as long as its halfway decent (red bar isn't 5 inches long) it's good for me.

Some other things I enjoy doing are producing Electronica Music, Ballisong flipping, reading, playing old games with PC emulators (SNES, NES, PSX, PS2), and other stuff I can't think of ATM. To be perfectly honest I'm kinda in a transitional state right now with my life and I don't have many friends or people to go and hang out with. Especially with school, homework, and my daily Anime dose, it's hard to find time to go out and make friends. Despite this things can get kinda lonely around these parts... Especially after watching a really good or depressing Anime. A lot of times I find myself wanting to talk to someone about it but alas there is no one to talk too. My only friend who likes Anime is stuck in an late 80's time warp and horrible relationship. He will never find the time to watch anything I would recommend, but how can I hold him to that, he does have a family now and such.

Anyways I'm a single male and my ethnicity is 50% Korean and 50% French/English. If I had to describe myself it would be like: Some what nerdy but still "well-rounded" as they say around here. I believe in a monotheistic God but not really a Christian one parse. Even though I think the Koran and Bible have relevant information; if I had to accurately describe my spirituality it would closely resemble a Spinoza ideology regarding religion. If I had to put it in Anime terms think "FMA" and the "all-is-one" analogy, and no I didn't get this bright idea from the show. After reading the Bible and Koran I slowly realized how silly people are sometimes with religion and how literal we take it. The best way for me to describe it is how "If we do this and this, then we are good people and can be forgiven for our wrong doings." Its like we take this external concept and try to press it upon ourselves from the outside in. But rather if I learned anything at all from these two books, rather it should be from the inside of our hearts blossoming out into the world around us. The problem with the latter is if we just try to follow a bunch of pre-determined rules we aren't really learning anything or being anything besides what we are told to do. However if you let "God's" (or whatever put "humanities" for the atheists) love permeate your heart than no matter what happens you will know the right thing to do.

Wow what a ramble but I guess this is just something really important to me. Anyways I really really love Anime and I find having to ration myself or I'd be neglecting my homework watching this stuff. Sometimes after watching a really good series I get kinda depressed because maybe I get attached to the story and characters. I guess that's only natural for me to do at this point in my life. I noticed being that I don't really have many friends, I started watching a lot of Anime. Maybe I did this subconsciously to fill in that gap until I finish school and have more time to myself. Well to anyone who actually read this whole thing feel free to e-mail me if you ever want to chat or whatever. It's [email protected] and [email protected]

Here are some pics of me:
http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss18/metaflux/2010-11-2814-21-33097.jpg

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss18/metaflux/2010-11-2814-25-50340-Copy.jpg

And yes I know I'm pasty and white, I haven't been feeling that great lately so I probably don't look my best. Also I was just messing around with the rest of the album. I really didn't try to look tough or anything, I'm just being silly.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Melaflux wrote:
I believe in a monotheistic God but not really a Christian one parse. Even though I think the Koran and Bible have relevant information; if I had to accurately describe my spirituality it would closely resemble a Spinoza ideology regarding religion. If I had to put it in Anime terms think "FMA" and the "all-is-one" analogy, and no I didn't get this bright idea from the show. After reading the Bible and Koran I slowly realized how silly people are sometimes with religion and how literal we take it. The best way for me to describe it is how "If we do this and this, then we are good people and can be forgiven for our wrong doings." Its like we take this external concept and try to press it upon ourselves from the outside in. But rather if I learned anything at all from these two books, rather it should be from the inside of our hearts blossoming out into the world around us. The problem with the latter is if we just try to follow a bunch of pre-determined rules we aren't really learning anything or being anything besides what we are told to do. However if you let "God's" (or whatever put "humanities" for the atheists) love permeate your heart than no matter what happens you will know the right thing to do.

Personally, I take a dim view of organized religion. Just for the hell of it, here are some quotes from Samuel Langhorne Clemens:
  • In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination.
  • Man is kind enough when he is not excited by religion.
  • No sinner is ever saved after the first twenty minutes of a sermon.
  • But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?
  • Man is a Religious Animal. He is the only Religious Animal. He is the only animal that has the True Religion -- several of them. He is the only animal that loves his neighbor as himself and cuts his throat if his theology isn't straight.
a_nobodyXIII

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:48 am Reply with quote
Hello there ANN. My first time accessing here and post something. Just sign up today. I hope I could befriended with anyone here. I do hope so.

Sorry for my lack of grammar. I'm not really good at English you see.. (waves)

Call me Maria and I'm 13. Smile
poilk92

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:51 pm Reply with quote
@nbahn

I love that guy!!!
james d

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Name: James

Age: I was a kid when Robotech first aired in the 80's. So....yeah

First anime series watched: Robotech

First anime non-series watched: Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

Currently watching: Nurarihyon no Mago, Shiki, Crossgame, Eyeshield 21, Maid Sama!, Xam'd, Canaan, Fortune Arterial, Sora no Otoshimono, The World God Only Knows, Highschool of the Dead, Otome Yokai Zakuro, Kuragehime, and Shigofumi

Currently reading: Bleach, Naruto, and Negima! Was reading more than this but times are tough.

Hello to everyone and see you around.
DragonFire212

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Name: Dante
Drink: only socially
Music: Anything DnB / electronic / pop / hip-hop is fine. No Country!

Anime is just one thing I like... regular TV (House, Fringe, Burn Notice, White Collar) is good too. So are western cartoons when I'm in the mood (Avatar, Ben 10).

Well thats it!

DM
larinon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Metaflux wrote:
To be honest at one point I started to learn these Japanese labels but soon realized they kinda "cookie cut" the shows for me. It's harder to just relax and enjoy a show once I learn it was made for a different target audience than myself

I think some people like to over-analyze things to exhaustion, or else they like to think they have very broad tastes but end up watching the same types of show all the time. It's not really a bad thing, necessarily, but it can be a bit annoying to others. I guess when some people don't like a show they tend to pigeonhole it as a way to belittle it, like its very existence is a personal affront to them. I try to avoid this type of over-analysis myself, and I don't feel any less of a dedicated fan for doing that.

Metaflux wrote:
...producing Electronica Music...

Cool. Do you have any samples online?

Metaflux wrote:
Sometimes after watching a really good series I get kinda depressed because maybe I get attached to the story and characters.

Yeah, I guess I'm sad to see the characters go or something, even if it's a good ending. But that's probably part of why we like it, the fact that it is possible to become that attached.

Metaflux wrote:
And yes I know I'm pasty and white

Hey, it could have been the glow of the computer screen or bad lighting. We were prepared to give you the benefit of the doubt at least but you outed yourself Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
alaskaslim

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:10 am Reply with quote

I'm very moose-like in that I will step into a situation, thinking I know everything, yet won't observe the obvious until it's right in front of my snout.

Behold my shear lack of clarity and TREMBLE! TREMBLE I SAY! B)

spoiler[
Please don't whine about the cold around me, I'm rather confident where I' am is at least a few degrees cooler.

and If I did something "bad" with the image here, besides the joke I mean, please tell me.]
Obsidian451

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Hi folks!

It's been a long while, nearly four years, since I've posted on an anime forum (long story). But, on and off, I've still managed to watch some anime, do some gaming, and get to a convention once or twice a year.

Currently, I'm in grad school (and therefore extremely busy!), but I've been meaning to get back into an online anime community for some time now. Anime and gaming are mainly outside hobbies for me by this point, but I still make some time for them.

In brief - I'm a lifelong video gamer and I love video game music. Gundam is my anime saga of choice. I'm a big movie buff and will watch just about anything, anime-related or not. Also, I'm a huge fan of anime and video game inside jokes/parodies, and I'm usually willing to check out things like "The Guild" or "VGCats" or an Abridged series.

I look forward to posting!
sekainatsume

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:26 am Reply with quote
Name:Sekai Natsume
Sex: Female

Blood Type: B negative.

Religion: Catholic

Pets: A dog, Dalmatian ^^.

Drink/Smoke: nope

Dislikes:Illnesses, and BLOOD!.

Favorite anime: ToraDora, Bakemonogatari, Fate/Stay night,
and many more Very Happy

Favorite Manga: I'm in to naruto manga for now.

Favorite Books:The litttle Prince, I guess.

Favorite game: Zelda The ocarina of time, MvC2, Bayonetta, DMC Series, Final Fantasy VII, etc...

Favorite TV shows/Movies: Mythbusters,

Favorite Drink: Juice.

Non-Alcoholic Drink: Coke and other juices or chocolate drink

Favorite Foods: Anything Italian and Bacon ^^

Favorite Sites: Animenewsnetwork, Facebook, Animefreak

Favorite Music: Japanese music usually J rock, Rock, Screamo, and a little bit of emo

Job: none

Hobbies: Playing games and watching anime
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Favorite Foods: Anything Italian and Bacon ^^

So, I'm on the same level as bacon now, huh. Nice way of calling me pig very indirectly, thank you very much. I don't think we can be friends.
Quote:

No, no, no. Just no. This is the part where you're meant to say "single but double bed".

Quote:
Sex: Female
Favorite anime: ToraDora, Bakemonogatari, Fate/Stay night,
and many more

Doesn't compute... don't tell me that "more" is equivalent of Queen's Blade, Sekirei, Ikkitousen, Qwaser, etc.?

Anyway, welcome. You may notice that nearly everyone here is really normal, so I'm sure you'll fit in. You normal person with a barebone introduction, oh you. Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 119 of 233