• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyo's Youth Ordinance Bill Approved by Committee

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:25 am Reply with quote
mind boggling
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:26 am Reply with quote
This is a total joke.
Unless politicians have overwhelming proof that anime, manga, and games turn Japan's youth into criminals, I see no reason why they need to be regulated. Sure there have been some occasions in the past where anime may have had a role in a crime, but those are still few and far between.
Juhachi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:34 am Reply with quote
1984 here we come. Next thing you know, the Thought Police will be knocking on your door.
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:51 am Reply with quote
Juhachi wrote:
1984 here we come. Next thing you know, the Thought Police will be knocking on your door.

Overexaggerate much?
Sailor S

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:51 am Reply with quote
Well, here's hoping the full assembly has more common sense than this committee did.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:52 am Reply with quote
Even if it did pass, I doubt anything would change.
msgundam2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:53 am Reply with quote
I guess this means Berserk is now adult only since it has rape scenes.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:59 am Reply with quote
A chapter of Outer Zone is often -- if not always -- quoted whenever politicians trying to apply censorship laws to manga.

(translator wanted)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:01 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Even if it did pass, I doubt anything would change.

It's already happening:

(it's SC, so not safe for work)
http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/12/13/mangaka-my-publisher-has-banned-school-uniforms/
Kaibaman21

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:12 am Reply with quote
This is just disturbing on mass proportions how could this pass the second time? This is more disturbing then our Comic Book Code the whole thing in the early 1950s but not to this extent. This does effect Stan Lee too because of his Manga with Tite Kubo. If this fully passes in a few days I fear Japan won't be the same, publishers might move to america, Hell could games like Kingdom Hearts be affected? I mean hell I do want the Final Mix games here but not like this...truth be told I'm very worried. This Bill is Jack Thompson's Dream come true
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:12 am Reply with quote
Wait a second...

"Bill 156 would require the industry to also regulate "manga, anime, and other images (except for real-life photography)" that "unjustifiably glorify or exaggerate" certain sexual or pseudo sexual acts"

So they would have to regulate hand drawn images, but it's ok for real people do be depicted doing whatever falls into this category? If that is the case, then that makes no sense to me.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:19 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Wait a second...
So they would have to regulate hand drawn images, but it's ok for real people do be depicted doing whatever falls into this category? If that is the case, then that makes no sense to me.

Yep. In Tokyo, it'll be perfectly fine to film a movie about a girl having a sexual relationship with your little brother, but if it's an anime, suddenly it'd be under tight restriction. Good job Tokyo. Way to look stupid. Mad
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:24 am Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
Wait a second...

Yep. In Tokyo, it'll be perfectly fine to film a movie about a girl having a sexual relationship with your little brother, but if it's an anime, suddenly it'd be under tight restriction. Good job Tokyo. Way to look stupid. Mad

The film industry already has these kinds of restrictions in place. The reason Lolicon is allowed to exist is because there's no such regulations on drawn/animated content. That's about to change.
Mune

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:30 am Reply with quote
This could be a good thing, right?

Yeah, right...

I mean, this is gonna destroy the industry and possibly break Japan in the process. If this thing passes, the Japanese economy will pretty much bust and then, after this happens, Japan will change their opinion on the bill or change to a different export. I know Japan has other exports, but anime licensing brings in a lot of money and it is a multi-billion dollar industry.

Even Miyazaki films will be effected, just look at Princess Mononoke, where bandits are pillaging a village and killing people. If you haven't seen it, watch it and you'll know what I mean.

This will not solve any problems. This will cause problems.

Honestly, I'd love nothing more than to go to the assembly and beat the crap out of the people who are proposing this bill, but that would only prove the bill's point. That, I am violent and have been influenced by this "type" of material. It's a no-win situation.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:31 am Reply with quote
Looks the Hentai industry is about to go out of business Anime cry Evil or Very Mad Hopefully the Japanese Otaku's will raise hell.

Last edited by taster of pork on Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 16