• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Mitsudomoe Zōryōchū! Episodes 1-4 Streaming

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Razzuel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:29 am Reply with quote
I respectfully disagree, Carl. I think Mitsudomoe 2 is just as funny, if not funnier than the first season. It certainly isn't as disgusting (though hilarious) as the beginning of the first season, and as the first season moved forward, it dropped the graphic, sick humor for humor based around misunderstandings — it's as if the writers were honing their comedic skills with each episode, and Mitsudomoe 2 continues this trend. I think Mitsudomoe 2 is a refined version of Mitsudomoe's own brand of comedy; it feels more consistent and fluid than the original, and I find myself smiling, occasionally laughing, and enjoying myself throughout each episode.

It's a shame that it seems like Mitsudomoe and other similar comedies like Kanamemo are being ignored for the North American market. As an aside, it seems like most of the generic and/or obvious shows are being licensed while some original (in my opinion), good shows are being left alone, such as the aforementioned Mitsudomoe and Kanamemo, along with Aoi Hana, Erin the Beast Player, The Tatami Galaxy (you better release this, Funimation!), and etc.
utawoutau

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:40 am Reply with quote
I couldn't get past the first episode of season 1. For some reason I find students bullying their teachers without any real negative consequence to the bully to be one of the most distasteful tropes - it makes something almost completely unwatchable for me.
J. Kudo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:58 am Reply with quote
The 1st episode of season 2 was hilarious. It makes me wish they would do a spin-off OVA series (or somethin') of the Gachi Rangers. Cool
Tarofex

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:19 am Reply with quote
I have to disagree too... I think in season 2 they are leaning a bit away from the potty-ish humor to explore other areas and I think it works a little better... the greater variety of humor that is.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:18 pm Reply with quote
utawoutau wrote:
I couldn't get past the first episode of season 1. For some reason I find students bullying their teachers without any real negative consequence to the bully to be one of the most distasteful tropes - it makes something almost completely unwatchable for me.

You might want to try growing a sense of humor. There is no "bullying" going on here, since there is absolutely no ill intent on anyone's part.
Thallium

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I think i don't fully agree either. It is less extreme than the first season i suppose, but i am still entertained and occasionaly laughing out loud at some of the jokes per episode. Obviously, when humour is involved the opinions vary alot, but to me personally the 2nd season is just as funny as the first one. Just that they're being a bit less disgusting about it this time around. Wink
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Not too surprised at the review. I enjoyed it so that's a guarantee ANN won't.

I can agree that these episodes are predictable but I think the reviewer has on rose-tinted glasses if he remembers the original series as being wholly original in every episode. To me it's like a sitcom. I don't really want them reinventing the wheel. I want to see my favorite characters acting like themselves and being put in situations where they can do what they do best.

J. Kudo wrote:
The 1st episode of season 2 was hilarious. It makes me wish they would do a spin-off OVA series (or somethin') of the Gachi Rangers. Cool

I would watch that. I remember viewing that episode like, "whoa, is this what they've been watching all this time?!?"

Razzuel wrote:
It's a shame that it seems like Mitsudomoe and other similar comedies like Kanamemo are being ignored for the North American market. As an aside, it seems like most of the generic and/or obvious shows are being licensed while some original (in my opinion), good shows are being left alone, such as the aforementioned Mitsudomoe and Kanamemo, along with Aoi Hana, Erin the Beast Player, The Tatami Galaxy (you better release this, Funimation!), and etc.

I agree with this and would add something like Kaiba and Real Drive (c'mon, this is from the Ghost in the Shell guy but it got completely ignored). In the defense of R1, i'd point out that there's some super pedo content in Kanamemo so I can understand why that one might never come over here.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:59 pm Reply with quote
utawoutau wrote:

Same reason I also dropped the series as well as the general creepiness of the series as well. Bullying isn't a joke and has also killed people before as well. It's a serious issue and I've seen first hand what effect it has on some people. Let me tell you, it's not nearly as comical as this.
kaizoku00

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
utawoutau wrote:

Same reason I also dropped the series as well as the general creepiness of the series as well. Bullying isn't a joke and has also killed people before as well. It's a serious issue and I've seen first hand what effect it has on some people. Let me tell you, it's not nearly as comical as this.

I don't see the relevance of this topic regarding this season two review. A brainless comedy shouldn't warrant such scrutiny.
Anyways, I love questionable comedy and I think this season they've focused on what has really worked for them. The first episode of the second season with the Gachi Rangers was an uproar and every episode so far has been extremely amusing to watch. Shameless comedies= win in my book.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:28 am Reply with quote
kaizoku00 wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
utawoutau wrote:

I don't see the relevance of this topic regarding this season two review. A brainless comedy shouldn't warrant such scrutiny.
Anyways, I love questionable comedy and I think this season they've focused on what has really worked for them. The first episode of the second season with the Gachi Rangers was an uproar and every episode so far has been extremely amusing to watch. Shameless comedies= win in my book.

The show tends to scream 'I'M HAVING FUN AND MAKING WHATEVER JOKES I WANT AND NO ONE CAN STOP MEEEEEEEE' and I feel that results in it very much being a love it or hate it show.

Again, there aren't a very large amount of shameless comedies. Mitsudomoe 'panders' to no one, it does whatever it wants HOWEVER it wants and isn't concerned about whether or not it's offending someone.

It's the prime example of what a good 'sitcom' is like and with most comedies 'trying too hard' these days (Like Baka to Test and it's 'LOL RANDUM' approach to jokes) it just feels like a pleasant departure.

Also, to the two people who believed that there was bullying going on in episode one, I beg you, WATCH THE EPISODE AGAIN ALL THE WAY THROUGH. You've completely misunderstood what was going on in the show.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:09 am Reply with quote
Mitsudomoe Zōryōchū, while hilarious, is not as good as the first season. The main thing being the first season also had that line of character development tying everything together - especially with the character Hitoha. The second doesn't really have that (to the extent of the first season, anyway) and is more 'pure fun'. And while it's an enjoyable and hilarious show, it just isn't really up to par of the first series because of it.

For Hitoha, the first episode showcases her anti-social loniless and bitterness towards the world around her, and characters like Yabe and Miyashita noticing it and trying to help her open up and make friends. Watching her struggle to find friends while all this crazy crap is going on around her added to the humor, but also made you feel bad for her - especially when Yabe and Miyashita's efforts tended to backfire due to the zany schemes of the class and simple misunderstandings. It all came together in the penultimate episode when she finally opened up to her class and was not met by ridicule like she feared, but open arms.

It's also worth noting Mitsuba was a pleasant 'fake out' for me. In the first episode you can easily write her off as a 'witch', considering how she wants everyone to worship her and loves to cause pain, but as the show goes on you realize she's the only good sister of the three. Hitoha doesn't care about anything other than Gachi Rangers or Nipples, and Futaba doesn't care about anything but boobs and playing. Mitsuba is the glue that holds them together, and the first one to defend her sisters when they get into trouble and looks out for them (God knows her sisters aren't going to do it) and this also gets showcased in the final episode when she, without hesitation, sacrifices her tickets to the amusement park so her sisters can have fun in her stead (I assure you Hitoha and Futaba would never do that)

Zōryōchū failed to recapture that little magic spark that made the first season so enjoyable for me. It's still one of the funniest shows I've seen, but it does feel a bit tacked on and more of 'extra content'. It seems to be focusing more on the side characters, which is perfectly fine. I love seeing more Yuki, Miku, and the others. Shame stuff like this never gets licensed, though, because I think a good dub would make it even funnier.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1