• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Silence Of The Schnauzers

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:27 am Reply with quote
Must buy... Hot Gimmick... now... must...

>.< This column just reminded me that though I have read the first three volumes of Alice 19th, I don't own any, and am horribly behind. Oi, I need to go manga shopping.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:59 am Reply with quote
Nothing that really sparks my intrest this week. I'm behind on Alice, but I need other things right now
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
...MegaMan NT makes Beyblade look like a godsend.

Although the american adaption of Rockman.EXE undenibly sucks, that statement just seems a bit overexaggerated... =/
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
manafairy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:11 am Reply with quote
Though nothing here really sparks my interest, it was still a good column. However, I must say, I found the Golden Cain review rather amusing (helpful, but amusing). It sounded like you were actually looking for a shred of plot in a run-of-the-mill yaoi one shot Laughing
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Shiki MSHTS wrote:
Quote:
...MegaMan NT makes Beyblade look like a godsend.

Although the american adaption of Rockman.EXE undenibly sucks, that statement just seems a bit overexaggerated... =/

Oh...I dunno. Go ahead and read Megaman NT. You may be surprised!

I'm glad you guys enjoyed the column. It was a rather bland week as far as reviewing goes. Nothing really was *exciting!!!*, so hopefully next week will bring more pizazz. Thanks!

manafairy wrote:
It sounded like you were actually looking for a shred of plot in a run-of-the-mill yaoi one shot

Hey, I go in with an open mind. The artwork was pretty and the back of the book sounded intriguing. :p
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I have a quick question: why waste your money on crap like Deus Vitate when you reviewed the first column? I could understand if there was people online going on about how it improves, but I have yet to see anything overwhelmingly possitive writen online. I'm all for giving series another chance, but only if I hear possitive things about how they improve. Why not try another series, even if its not new this week instead?
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
I have a quick question: why waste your money on crap like Deus Vitate when you reviewed the first column? I could understand if there was people online going on about how it improves, but I have yet to see anything overwhelmingly possitive writen online. I'm all for giving series another chance, but only if I hear possitive things about how they improve. Why not try another series, even if its not new this week instead?

Well, there are a couple of reasons, Kagemusha:
#1. It was something that was sent to me, so I felt I should review it.
#2. I was interested to see if it had gotten better.
#3. RTO is a review column that should be included in those "online opinions." I don't read other people's opinions to decide what to review...people should be reading the column to figure out what to buy.

I do this column not only because I like to, but I also do it so I can hopefully inform you guys one what's worth your time and what's not. Who knows...I could've had some sort of brain fart and thought volume 2 of Deus Vitae was wondiferous this week.
Thanks for reading!
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:47 pm Reply with quote
So it was sent to you? Meaning free? Now I can see why you would review it. Interesting...
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Oh yea, why Schnauzers?
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Oh no, I've just finished Bone and the recent chapters of Exaxxion, meaning I have nothing to read (In case you haven't noticed by my three posts in a row, I am easily bored)! Any with only enough for one trade, what shall I go for: Alice19th volume 4, or shall I try that Hot Gimmick that everyone beed raving about? It seems like there are no good seinen things out anymore, and Viz will be slowing down Vagabond too (I still can't see why they made it once a month when the know that it takes about 3 1/2 months for one to be released). Until Monster...
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Gosh, I don't know. Hot Gimmick is good, but it's really girly. I think it may throw you into shock based on what I assume you normally read. :p If you can find it, STONe is what I'd recommend...only 2 volumes, though. :/ Humm...hmm...check out High School Girls...that's seinen, right?

And if you read the blurb under the link, I chose Schnauzers because the stupid neighbors' dogs had been barking for like an hour and I had them on the brain.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:16 pm Reply with quote
lianncoop wrote:
Gosh, I don't know. Hot Gimmick is good, but it's really girly. I think it may throw you into shock based on what I assume you normally read. :p If you can find it, STONe is what I'd recommend...only 2 volumes, though. :/ Humm...hmm...check out High School Girls...that's seinen, right?

And if you read the blurb under the link, I chose Schnauzers because the stupid neighbors' dogs had been barking for like an hour and I had them on the brain.

Oh, whoops! Sorry. But I can't stand any dog thats small; my cousins chiwawa tried to bit my thumb off last time I was at her house. Luckly my dog is too friendly to bark at anyone.
But I think I might pick up Hot Gimmick with so many possitive reviews, but probobly later. I've had my fill of drama for now after reading Exaxxion (thats an understatement; poor Gun Sad ). I've been trying to read more shojo titles lately because I can't stand most of the shonen stuff on the market, and DH/Viz is so damn slow in releasing alot of my favorite series.
I've read the first volume of Stone, and its pretty good. But from what I read in your review, High School Girls sounded like an older shonen title, not so much seinen.
Calli

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:30 pm Reply with quote
If schnauzers bark for an hour then someone didn't raise them properly. (ADDENDUM: Blurb? I didn't see any...) Anyway -- glad to see Alice 19th is getting stronger with each volume, since only 2 volumes in (Japanese and English) I'm hooked.

On the other hand, since you'll probably be reviewing Saint Marie vol. 2 soon -- I picked that and vol. 1 up at Borders based on a couple of reviews (yours included). I wasn't that impressed, and now I feel like I wasted my money. It's a little TOO soapy for my taste, as well as weak art and wobbly focus. If things were tightened up to focus more on Dah-In, and to involve her more in the actual events, I think it'd be stronger, but as it is I'm upset that in good conscience I can't take these back and return them now. I'm wondering how you'll place vol. 2 when the time comes, and your own opinions.

Nevermind it looks like Saint Marie is at least partially timewarped to pre-Second Vatican Council (girls' head coverings??) -- which amused me, but didn't exactly impress me.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:34 pm Reply with quote
If Saint Marie 2 gets reviewed...it'll probably get an actual review. Since it's Korean, it showed up in the Manwha special column..and as far as Korean titles go, I thought it was really good, so I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it as much as I did. Sad I'm gearing up for another Manwha special soon, so hopefully I can recommend some other series that you'll find worthwhile.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Sorry I didn't address this in my other post but:
Quote:
Gosh, I don't know. Hot Gimmick is good, but it's really girly. I think it may throw you into shock based on what I assume you normally read. :p

Now I've read shojo titles before, but you make this one sound like something diffrent. If it has yaoi in it, thats fine. If girls can put up with fanservice, a couple of girly men making out shouldn't bother me. Or is it something about the actual story of the manga. The only realistic shojo manga I have really read is Kare Kano, and I like that. Would it be like that?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2