• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hyouge Mono's Cro-Magnon Band to Break Up

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:54 am Reply with quote
an issue definately being the weed....

I hate weed because it made a friend of my act stupid and hurt someone because he was trying to "have fun" while under it's influence and wasn't thinking properly, but breaking up a band over it is just insane. I don't care for their music so much except for "eight beat" so this isnt reallly that bad of news for me, but it's still pretty depressing for a reason as minor as this. I feel bad for you fans.
Nemo_N

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:42 am Reply with quote
Wow, it's not like he raped someone.
hikaricore

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:53 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

I hate weed because it made a friend of my act stupid and hurt someone because he was trying to "have fun" while under it's influence and wasn't thinking properly, but breaking up a band over it is just insane. I don't care for their music so much except for "eight beat" so this isnt reallly that bad of news for me, but it's still pretty depressing for a reason as minor as this. I feel bad for you fans.

Most likely your friend was stupid to begin with and he only used pot as an excuse for his own ignorance and irresponsibility.
mercidez

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:10 am Reply with quote
Nemo_N wrote:
Wow, it's not like he raped someone.

lol, true. but I remember hearing getting caught with weed in Japan is a big deal (at least bigger deal than it is here in the states)
configspace

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:14 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

I hate weed because it made a friend of my act stupid and hurt someone because he was trying to "have fun" while under it's influence and wasn't thinking properly, ...

Well, substitute "weed" for beer and it would be no different...
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:27 am Reply with quote
hikaricore wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

Most likely your friend was stupid to begin with and he only used pot as an excuse for his own ignorance and irresponsibility.

This.

So sad people don't take responsibility for their actions, and use other excuses to serve as a crutch.
John Casey

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:11 am Reply with quote
hikaricore wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

This.

Some of the greatest geniuses who've lived were well known for their toking. Hell, I'm fairly certain Tesla was up in the clouds when he came up with the ionocraft.

It's true. Cannabis allows you to open your mind, but it's up to each individual as to how they navigate it. As you can see, some are pretty godamn stupid with that detail.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:23 am Reply with quote
the better question is how will this affect the ongoing 39 episode anime?
egoist

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:59 am Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
the better question is how will this affect the ongoing 39 episode anime?

Not much. They'll probably make another opening, end the anime at 8 episodes, demote the studio's CEO, and force the director to commit seppuku. Not much, really.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Realize that the public perception of weed in Japan is almost as bad as with that of hard drugs like heroin or cocaine.

And of course, scandals actually mean something to them. Here, you have rap artists releasing pre-recorded tracks while stuck in prison and no one blinks, in fact they somehow get positive media attention for it.

Wish there was some happy medium between Japan's shame and ruin system and the West's shameless and fame system.

Hopefully they can at least keep the tracks and soundtrack in the series that's there now. I just watched the first three episodes this week and that anachronistic retro lounge music OP is definitely a highlight of the show for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
keyinjpop

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:50 pm Reply with quote
This reminds me of L'Arc~en~Ciel's drug scandal. Not exactly the same but it hurt the band even though the member who committed the crime went to jail and broke up with the group, the rest of the band got hurt for it.
Sir Amyas Leigh

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:04 pm Reply with quote
hikaricore wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

Yeah thats what I was thinking as reading that comment. (un)Lucky our celebs and 'famous for being famous' people don't have a sense of shame like these folks clearly did. We'd have no more celebs
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
hikaricore wrote:

This.

So sad people don't take responsibility for their actions, and use other excuses to serve as a crutch.

In Japan, where workers go to after-work drinking parties as a social and business obligation, what you do when you're drunk is often excused. So what if you cop a feel, you were drunk; it can't be helped. Laughing

John Casey wrote:

Some of the greatest geniuses who've lived were well known for their toking. Hell, I'm fairly certain Tesla was up in the clouds when he came up with the ionocraft.

Many geek founders of today's tech companies were tokers back in the 70's. Laughing
KN_guro

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:11 am Reply with quote
I just can't help but to think how very few bands there would be in America if this is what happened here....
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:52 am Reply with quote
KN_guro wrote:
I just can't help but to think how very few bands there would be in America if this is what happened here....

It used to happen here in the 1960s when the "War on Drugs" began. Nixon tried to get John Lennon deported over it, and there were arrests made all over - musicians and political activist alike. However since the majority of these people's supporters were the counter culture - aka the hippy generation, they were all ready experiencing cannabis for themselves and developing their own opinion of it, and didn't hold it against the artist for using. Our courts also decided not to go through some of the charges when it became evident that some - John Lennon in particular, were selected to be charged for political reasons.

It's partly because of that generation, and previous groups such at the Beatnicks, that our country knows cannibis isn't harmful and that it's heavily associated with musicians and artists who really don't hurt anybody. That doesn't stop some states from going after easy targets like Willie Nelson though.

It's interesting to see the differences in how different societies react due to culture upbringing - in this case the US and Japan. Japan was pressured by the US to give up something that was a natural, everyday thing for their culture, and they quickly banned it and gave it a social stigma, and the whole country went along with it. The US tried to do the same thing here with prohibition - and again with the War on Drugs and a large number of our people questioned it and ignore it. Then again I guess it will just BE different when you have a foreign country who dropped an A-bomb on you, telling you what to do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2