• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: North American Anime, Manga Releases for May 2011

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redlinks

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait for Arisa vol.2 and Shugo Chara! vol.10! x3
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Soul Eater is being released by Sentai Filmworks. I am curious about how the Chobits BD looks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WTK

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Missing Echo Bridge Ent. Pokémon releases/re-releases (distributing for Miramax)
- Pokémon - Destiny Deoxys - 5/3/2011
- Pokémon - Jirachi Wish Maker - 5/3/2011
- Pokémon Heroes / Pokémon - Destiny Deoxys (Double Feature) (Blu-ray) - 5/15/2011

Missing Aniplex USA releases
- Baccano!: Blu-ray Disc Box (LE) - 5/17/2011
- Durarara!!, Part 3 - 5/31/2011
WTK

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:52 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
I don't think Soul Eater is being released by Sentai Filmworks.

And Yu Yu Hakusho S1 BD isn't getting released by Media Blasters.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm I don't see the 4th (and last) .hack//GU novel up there :/ It was supposed to be out last week, but with Tokyopop I'm wondering if it'll be released at all! They close their doors pretty soon and I hope that, at least, makes it. Then their .hack titles will have been completed.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
Hmmm I don't see the 4th (and last) .hack//GU novel up there :/ It was supposed to be out last week, but with Tokyopop I'm wondering if it'll be released at all! They close their doors pretty soon and I hope that, at least, makes it. Then their .hack titles will have been completed.

Been wondering this, too. TRSI said it came out last week, but I'm not sure if they actually got it in. Amazon says it was due this week, but they never got it in. Barnes & Noble never even listed it. Has anyone actually been able to get volume 4 or is this basically a hopeless situation? Tokyopop isn't closing officially until the end of the month and these should have been printed and ready some time ago. I'm wondering if they never even bothered putting these to print knowing they wouldn't be around long enough for it to matter to them and silently canceled the fourth volume.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dpkworldwide

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Soul Eater and Yu Yu Hakusho are both being released by FUNimation.
prince the ripper

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:12 pm Reply with quote
in a shonen jump issue it said the rosario vampire DVD's come out may 17th
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:22 pm Reply with quote
There's a Stand Alone Complex manga? I just finished buying the original GitS Manga (unedited Dark Horse release, of course)!
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:23 pm Reply with quote
prince the ripper wrote:
in a shonen jump issue it said the rosario vampire DVD's come out may 17th

No. Funi took extra time to hammer deals for extras and ran into a production snafu that's supposedly pretty big. I believe the last I heard sometime in the fall.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

Been wondering this, too. TRSI said it came out last week, but I'm not sure if they actually got it in. Amazon says it was due this week, but they never got it in. Barnes & Noble never even listed it. Has anyone actually been able to get volume 4 or is this basically a hopeless situation? Tokyopop isn't closing officially until the end of the month and these should have been printed and ready some time ago. I'm wondering if they never even bothered putting these to print knowing they wouldn't be around long enough for it to matter to them and silently canceled the fourth volume.

Emerje

I read on the Dothackers community some interesting news: people have seen it in Australia, so it IS out there. But, others are saying that TP North America has cancelled ALL of their May releases, even though this was technically an April one :/ Amazon is saying it's been delayed, and TRSI's status is "more coming soon!"

Ugh... I think the worst part for people still following some TP series, is the fact there has been NO ANNOUNCEMENTS on what will happen to their ongoing titles. Bad enough that TP announced a "garage sale" for selling all their staff copies/extra manga, but unless you live in LA, you have no chance of getting anything ._.
Spinal Cord Fluid-kun

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Otaku_X wrote:
There's a Stand Alone Complex manga? I just finished buying the original GitS Manga (unedited Dark Horse release, of course)!

I've heard it's pretty terrible, but I guess that's to be expected since it's a manga based on an anime based on a manga. :/
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:36 pm Reply with quote
For those wondering about the Yu Yu Hakusho Blu-ray sets, the video is indeed from the Japanese release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfbCzQ5fq9A
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I like the whole month format, it makes it easy to budget things out.

GS Mikami 4 is a must, of course. I'm planning on getting the Chobits box set, but haven't decided on DVD or Blue-ray. Chobits is old enough that the blue-ray is probably overkill, but then again, it is only five dollars more. Excel Saga is tempting, but it depends on how much of a discount off the sticker price I can find. I like Excel Saga, but I like $50 more. The Project A-Ko dvd is such a WTF moment, but I have to buy it, if just to put next my Assemble Insert DVD on my shelf. I already have Samurai Champloo, so no need for a repurchase. And at a certain point I will probably buy Koihime Musou, but that point is not this month.
I don't read much manga, and of that whole mess, the only one I will buy is the Kimi ni Todoke volume, because that is my happy place.

The Tokyopop thing bothers me. I've worked on teams with projects under the threat of cancellation before, and we've always worked hard right up to the official cease-work order, because that was our job. Making the assumption that the manga industry is similar to the military-industrial complex here, these releases are already printed or were ready to print, and the head of Tokyopop was a gigantic dick and decided not to release them. Or it could be that the workers at Tokyopop weren't doing their jobs, but for some reason, I just don't believe that.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
Excel Saga is tempting, but it depends on how much of a discount off the sticker price I can find. I like Excel Saga, but I like $50 more.

Right Stuf is currently selling it for $30.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2