• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - I Heart You Too

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JackBassV

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:52 am Reply with quote
Just a quick word about Tsukihime:
It gets better. Lots better.

The relationship between Arc and Shiki: the history that Ciel and Arc share, and the instant hatred that Shiki's sister has for both Arc and Ciel are a dream to watch.

This series is very addictive.

JBV
Rion

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Yes! The Two on my must have list made shelf worthy!

Im glad to hear the PeaceMaker got a good review. It looked really interesting when i saw it in the store. I kept on debateing if i should get it or not. I ended up not getting it.

ARRRGG! Now i have to go back to the store and pick it up.

It's also great to hear that LastExile went out with a bang. Very Happy

Great Review Bamboo Dong Cool
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
one3rd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Dear Bamboo,
I just finished reading your column, and I must say, I [liked] it very much. I was especially [interested] by your review of [Lunar Legend Tsukihime]. I [agreed] with your comments about [hardcore anti-Gundam SEED zealots]. [However], I would like to express my [discontent] with your opinion on [the latter half of GTO]. One thing’s for sure though. I totally love Shelf Life though, forever and ever and ever.
Yours truly, [Me]
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Dear Bamboo,
I just finished reading your column, and I must say, I [enjoyed] it very much. I was especially [intrigued] by your review of [PeaceMaker]. I [disagreed] with your comments about [GTO]. [However], I would like to express my [agreement] with your opinion on [LastExile]. One thing’s for sure though. I totally love Shelf Life though, forever and ever and ever.
Yours truly, [Ken]
manafairy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:41 pm Reply with quote
How "Kenshin" is PMK? After seeing it get a good review, I was considering picking it up, but being it also utilizes the shinsengumi, I was kind of afraid it would feel too Rurouni Kenshin-ish (this wouldn't be a problem if I liked Kenshin, but frankly, I don't). What I mean to ask is: Do you think someone who disliked RK could enjoy Peace Maker Kurogane?

I swore off anything regarding the shinsengumi after seeing RK so hopefully that'll be an error on my part.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I guess it depends what you didn't care for with regard to Kenshin... If anything, I'd say that it's a little more comedic than Kenshin, but when it gets serious, it's deadly serious.

Without knowing what it was about Kenshin you didn't like, it's really quite impossible to answer your question.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
manafairy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I think the characters are what bothered me the most about Kenshin. Most of them really grated on my nerves and the love story aspects irritated me. I guess a better question might be:

Is there a focus on romance at all and are the characters very similar in personality to that of Rurouni Kenshin's?
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Having only seen this first DVD of PMK, there haven't been any real instances of romance as of yet.

As far as the character's personalities go, that's a bit more difficult to pinpoint. After all, you have your personality base, but the writing is really going to direct where that's going to go.

Is there some sense of "Kenshin-esque" to some of the characters? To some small degree, much of the supporting cast does. But in other ways, it has some of the playfulness of Fruits Basket in there as well. Your best bet is to give it a rental and check it out if you are unsure. I personally enjoyed Kenshin, but I enjoy PMK for entirely different reasons. The characters are definetly different. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that they show the potential of being more well-rounded in PMK than in Kenshin.

Clear as mud? Wink
Even so, if you are unsure, give it a rental.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
manafairy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm still a bit unsure about buying it, but you've been a great help. I'll indefinately at least be giving it a rental sometime soon then. As long as there's not a repeat of characters like Kenshin, Kaoru, and Yahiko, I should be able to enjoy it.

Thankies Anime smile
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Personally I found PMK fairly mediocre and that it mostly borrowed from other samurai stories, but maybe thats me (I'm more into seinen samurai manga anyways). The last couple of episodes are great, but the rest of the series bored me to death.
biliano*

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Dear Bamboo,

I just finished reading your column, and I must say, I enjoyed it very much. I was especially intrigued by your review of Peacemaker, as I plan to rent it in the very near future. It doesn't surprise me that your two Shelf-Worthy titles are Gonzo titles; but I'm not complaining because I'm one of the biggest Gonzo fans on the planet (and I'm NOT referring to the Muppet). I agree with your comments about the anti-Gundam SEED zealots; however, I disagree with your comments that Azumanga Daioh and Gundam SEED are just "rentals". Azumanga Daioh is one of the best dubbed series on the market, and I would consider it to be J.C. Staff's best title if it wasn't for a little series called R.O.D. One's thing for sure, I love Shelf Life forever and ever. Please try to make it a weekly column. Thanks.
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
Personally I found PMK fairly mediocre and that it mostly borrowed from other samurai stories, but maybe thats me (I'm more into seinen samurai manga anyways). The last couple of episodes are great, but the rest of the series bored me to death.

Yeah, that's more or less how I felt about the series. I started off digging it, but it just kind of wore on and on and on...and then it was over. Nice art and animation, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Circle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I thought PMK is mediocre also. It's got some funny episodes but most are rather slow and boring. The last part of it... after ep17, gets good though.

And yes, Tsukihime is like cigarrettes. I tried it out because of peer pressure. It tastes horrible (too slow and moody for me... *snore*) but I stuck to it for some coolness factor and just to see how it ends. In the end I regretted having wasted part of my life on it. :p

Never seen Gundum Seed but I agree with the other reviews =).
Nani?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo,

Thankyou very much for the hard work you do on Shelf Life. I also understand that sometimes people (me among them) are pains in the butt and it's very easy to let opinions get to you.

Please, don't let us bug you too much. Please, continue to do the quality job you do, even if I or others sometimes disagree on one show or another.

All the Best,

Nani?
biliano*

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Nani? wrote:
Bamboo,

Thankyou very much for the hard work you do on Shelf Life. I also understand that sometimes people (me among them) are pains in the butt and it's very easy to let opinions get to you.

Please, don't let us bug you too much. Please, continue to do the quality job you do, even if I or others sometimes disagree on one show or another.

All the Best,

Nani?

Ditto from me Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2