• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Settlers of Canaan

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Really interesting article! I enjoyed both Canaan and Junjou, agreed with nearly all your points. Cool

...Think I'll probably give Rio a pass, though.
Shaterri

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 5:06 pm Reply with quote
An anecdotal description of Rio: While my anime-viewing group was watching Wandering Son and Fractale (*siiiiigh*...), we'd occasionally dip over to Rio and play Cleavage Roulette: go to the page for the latest Rio episode, drop the playback pointer to a random point on the timeline, and see how long it took before the show was offering up someone's cleavage. Our record was 15 seconds. The average was maybe 5. It is exactly what it is...
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Murder She wrote:

Suffice to say, nobody here will say it's the next Makoto Shinkai because it's not anime style with cute girls. Laughing

Murder She wrote:

I would've been happy if the show continued with a gambler-of-the-week for Rio to battle, but it abandons these sequences in favor of unusually large-scale games (think Double Dare physical challenges in revealing outfits).

OMG! Somebody remembers Double Dare!!! Laughing
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I hated the ending to Canaan. Like, really, really hated it. Which, is too bad, since this is Type Moon, and they usually have stronger endings. But yeah, I really enjoyed this series up to about episode 9 or 10. Santana was my favorite character (well, maybe Awesome Taxi Guy) because of how awesome he was. I hated that pig-tailed girl and Maria and was indifferent to Canaan herself.

Let me just laugh at you saying that you almost considered making Rio stream-worthy.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
But yeah, I really enjoyed this series up to about episode 9 or 10. Santana was my favorite character (well, maybe Awesome Taxi Guy) because of how awesome he was. I hated that pig-tailed girl and Maria and was indifferent to Canaan herself.

Don't you and I usually disagree on stuff? And yet we can both agree that Canaan is awesome through episode 9 or 10!

I thought I was going to hate the pig-tailed girl and Maria but the show won me over with strong character writing.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I've been wondering about stream worthy/flushable lately.

I know that Erin has it structured as "stream worthy" = "Shelf worthy" + higher end "rental shelf" and "flushable" = lower end "rental shelf" + "perishable".

But that doesn't really make any sense. It actually takes less time, money, and effort to stream something than it does to rent/borrow something... So should stream worthy be shelf worthy + rental shelf and flushable be equal to perishable?

Not that I have an issue with the Rio review. Very blah show, I'm actually shocked that Erin considers it almost stream worthy.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I kind of enjoyed Rio on a 'take brain off hook, have a beer, have a laugh at how insanely ridiculous it all is' basis.

I had this theory that the production team had decided it was a crap idea but hey, they were getting paid to do it, so they'd have all their production meetings in the pub, get very very drunk, and decide what the next episode was going to be.

That would explain everything....
fireaxe

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:27 pm Reply with quote
To me Erin's review for Rio was spot on. It's not a good show by any means, but I ended not hating it for some reason. I thought it was neither good nor bad, but extremely average. Rio was unoriginal and poorly written (and not all that funny), but still an overall inoffensive series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Imperialkat

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:
Actually, I've been wondering about stream worthy/flushable lately.

I know that Erin has it structured as "stream worthy" = "Shelf worthy" + higher end "rental shelf" and "flushable" = lower end "rental shelf" + "perishable".

But that doesn't really make any sense. It actually takes less time, money, and effort to stream something than it does to rent/borrow something... So should stream worthy be shelf worthy + rental shelf and flushable be equal to perishable?

On the flip side, the lack of effort it takes to stream stuff can lead to an increase in both titles watched and titles skipped. Like, you would stream more titles then you would buy or rent on disk because you have easy access, but you would also leave more titles on the table or be harsher on titles because you have so much other stuff to watch. Some people (myself included) are more motivated to slog through a batch of slow episodes of a series they own or physically have than one they would find on Crunchyroll. In short, streaming makes titles both easier to pick up and easier to drop. Just my thoughts.

Anyway, I've been interested in Canaan for a while and this review makes me want to check it out sooner rather than later. And I watched the first episode of Rio and wasn't nearly as outraged as the reviewers were. Still saw no reason to continue. Guess that's indifference.
purplepolecat

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This show, and When They Cry – Higurashi, are exceptions to the "no show based on a video game can possibly be good" rule.

Hey! Don't forget Gungrave. Very Happy
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Definitely considering buying CANAAN; anything that involves assassins usually keeps me interested!!! Anime hyper

Quote:
Takahiro Sakurai shows a lot of range as Misaki, and delivers a very believable and heartfelt performance. Hearing Misaki's thoughts moves the plot forward, especially when he's not telling the truth about his feelings to Akihiko. I'm normally not a fan of seiyuu, but Sakurai truly carries this entire show with his voice.

Yes! I completely agree! Mr. Sakurai has amazing vocal ranges. (I'm a fan) The way his voice matches almost perfectly with Misaki's emotions is quite amazing. Anime smile

By the way, Ms. Erin, the picture you're using is from Season 1. ->http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/K01VkRA5-2kGsbSuh9/browse/item/86679/4/994/48
This is Season 2->http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/K01VkRA5-2kGsbSuh9/browse/item/90574/4/994/48
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:26 pm Reply with quote
purplepolecat is dead on the money. Gungrave is one of, if not the best anime series based on a video game property. People should check it out.

As for Rio, I think everyone agrees that the show is stupid but at the same time, I think the producers were aware of the fact that the show is stupid and decided to go all out with it in the name of entertainment. Rio isn't meant to be taken seriously. Otherwise, why have an episode devoted to a ghost obsessed with chicken wings?
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
most of the show that i have are from 2003-2005 which i think was the golden age of anime in America. "

Yes! Agreed 100%! Anime stopped being good after 2005, at least for me. Nice collection. Surprised

Quote:
purplepolecat is dead on the money. Gungrave is one of, if not the best anime series based on a video game property. People should check it out.

Is it really that good? I've heard good things about Gungrave, and have thought about checking it out. If it's that good, I think I will...
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:

That's my mistake; I'll fix it. Thanks!
grooven

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:24 pm Reply with quote
lolz at anime being good up to 2005 Anime hyper yeah sure there...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4