• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Field of Wings

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I'd go ahead and hit Roland up for his take... But not on twitter. Put that last paragraph in an email and send it to his japanamerica addy. That way you remove the strange while keeping xuriosity in the question. 'Course you might want to warn him if he will need the brainbleach, if it's that bad. Wink Wouldn't want to scar him for Otakon...
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I must correct you on OreTsubasa. It's episode 01-12 that should be flushed, not 01-10.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:41 pm Reply with quote
I should really get to watching the Taisho Baseball Girls collection I got a few months back. It sounds very enjoyable. Also, Erin, thank you for saying this:
Quote:
I'm a sucker for sports anime/manga, even though I'm not a fan of watching real life sports.

If only more people were seemingly like Erin and myself... Then maybe sports anime/manga would sell much better over here!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Ah, Taisho Baseball Girls, or as I and some of my friends dub it, Moeball. A good review, and I would agree that Koume in particular was very bland. I wonder if the light novels are written from her perspective, or if she was just the focus. It was a cute show and I did like the little historical details as well as gender issues being given a spotlight, as I don't think that happens too much in anime, at least from what I have seen. A dub would have been nice, but honestly, I'm just thankful that Sentai licensed it and released it. Now... if they could get Saki then my moe SoL/sports collection will be even larger.

Last edited by Megiddo on Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rankarana

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:49 pm Reply with quote
why no love for oretsuba

I really like OreTsuba and I normally haet haet haet fanservicey VN adaptations. Maybe 'cause it's more like director Nakamura of Trapeze and Mononoke's stuff that his own new show this season, but also because it's self-deprecating, fairly funny and pulls off the mindscrew and twists pretty well.

A lot better than [C] does, anyway.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:54 pm Reply with quote
I'll just put in that I really dislike sports anime in general, but I loved Taisho Baseball Girls. I agree that it really could have had a larger audience - it was adorable, fun, and generally left me with a goofy smile on my face. So don't be scared off by "baseball" being in the title or sports anime fans liking it! Wink
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:57 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to see Taisho Baseball Girls get some love. Like Erin and some other posters, I'm not a big sports fan, but I have very much enjoyed sports anime titles like Hajime no Ippo and Big Wind-up.
ommadon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:26 pm Reply with quote
"Princess Nine" is another girls baseball series, with an emotional ending worth the wait. If you got nothin' better to do for 572 min check it out.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:01 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
It's nice to see Taisho Baseball Girls get some love. Like Erin and some other posters, I'm not a big sports fan, but I have very much enjoyed sports anime titles like Hajime no Ippo and Big Wind-up.

There's no question on how much I love Taisho Baseball Girls and how much I recommend it to others and how greatful and excited I was when Section23 picked it up last year. I'm surprised on how Ms. Erin was oblvious to how baseball anime doesn't sell well. This is why Taisho Baseball Girl wasn't dubbed, Big Windup itself is a good title but it sold so poorly, that Funimation completely passed up on the second season and pulled the title from print!

Thats the tragedy you need to understand Ms. Erin, you've got to be more optimistic and open to baseball anime, review more of it! Recommended to people around you. If more people brought baseball anime titles like this, then maybe Funimation will have the guts to pick up Cross Game.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:16 pm Reply with quote
FUNi doesn't need to pick up Cross Game, because Viz has the license to it. Heck, they stream it via Hulu.

I'd love to own it though I doubt that will ever happen.
jyuichi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:57 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
I must correct you on OreTsubasa. It's episode 01-12 that should be flushed, not 01-10.

Since 12 isn't out it seems a bit unfair to rate something you haven't watched.

Though I have a very different opinion of OreTsuba than Erin (I like it) this is the fairest review I've seen of the show. Thanks and good job Smile
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:05 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

At the time I wrote this only 1-10 were on Crunchyroll... so I haven't seen 11 and 12 yet.

ArthurFrDent wrote:
...if he will need the brainbleach, if it's that bad. Wink

Wait, I need brainbleach. Where can I obtain this miracle product?

Lord Geo wrote:
Quote:
I'm a sucker for sports anime/manga, even though I'm not a fan of watching real life sports.

If only more people were seemingly like Erin and myself... Then maybe sports anime/manga would sell much better over here!

All the sports manga fans I've met (who I think are all girls) share this viewpoint. I've met guys who like Eyeshield, but they usually know about actual football as well.

ommadon wrote:
"Princess Nine" is another girls baseball series, with an emotional ending worth the wait. If you got nothin' better to do for 572 min check it out.

I never finished watching Princess Nine. I think the added historical interest of Taisho Baseball Girls makes it slightly superior... I also remember some off-model scenes in Princess Nine.

GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
I'm surprised on how Ms. Erin was oblvious to how baseball anime doesn't sell well. This is why Taisho Baseball Girl wasn't dubbed...

I know why it doesn't sell well. It's the eternal rivalry between jocks and nerds in America... like when there's a baseball game during Otakon and the nerds and sports fans eye each other on the street...

Rankarana wrote:
why no love for oretsuba

There is some love, but that love ain't healthy. I need the brainbleach. If I start intentionally liking bad things, how long before I'm running Anime Hell or writing for Teleport City?
Pippin4242

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:33 pm Reply with quote
WOW. The Shelf Life collection is fantastic! That's pretty much my dream collection! Except I think a bunch of it can't be purchased in R2. But WOW!

Oh god I want to touch them.

- Pips
dizzon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:49 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:

GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
I'm surprised on how Ms. Erin was oblvious to how baseball anime doesn't sell well. This is why Taisho Baseball Girl wasn't dubbed...

I know why it doesn't sell well. It's the eternal rivalry between jocks and nerds in America... like when there's a baseball game during Otakon and the nerds and sports fans eye each other on the street...

As a fan of both baseball and anime I can honestly say I've never been the least bit interested in watching anime about baseball.

When I need my baseball fix I'll watch an actual baseball game as I'm doing right now while typing this. When I watch anime it's because I want to watch it and not baseball, or any sport for that matter. Anime is for when I'm not in the mood for sports, and when I am in the mood for sports I'll watch the real thing.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:25 pm Reply with quote
@Dizzon. I'm a baseball fan(SF Giants fan for life.)

I don't understand your point, because your tangent made no sense at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3