• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nike Ads Spark Graffiti Complaints in Singapore

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elniro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Everything is controversial, everything will influence people. I think that graffiti style art is some of the best stuff around, i wouldnt mind sumone spray painting PROPER graffiti words and/or images on my wall.
Izlude

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Hahaha, thats kinda funny.
Angel Lily

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:38 pm Reply with quote
That is very funny. I read my the article and he liked it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
jsyxx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Remind me never to visit Singapore. Sounds like their country is ran by a bunch of nazis. Props to the graf heads there for sticking it to those pricks.

Last edited by jsyxx on Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
biliano*

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Two words for Singapore: WAKE UP!
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:43 pm Reply with quote
i remember a long time ago, an anerican kid got caned for painting graffiti in singapore. it was over the news and everything.
AlphaBlitz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Well I've been to Singapore, I think the US should take a lesson, the punishments may seem a little cruel but thats how you have the public stop doing crimes. FYI, this is my first post.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Well I've been to Singapore, I think the US should take a lesson, the punishments may seem a little cruel but thats how you have the public stop doing crimes. FYI, this is my first post.

The US is a free country. Still some serious problems, but we are above such BS barbarity as a legal punishment. Any society in which you get caned for spray-painting has serious problems. I will never visit that dump if thats how it is. We don't live in the 1700's anymore.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:08 pm Reply with quote
As someone not familiar at all with that particular advertising campaign, I went to the official site and I'm still not seeing anything that looks like anime, or any other style of Asian cartoon. Everything on the site looks like a kung-fu movie.

I'll take the word of the article that there is some kind of anime connection with this campaign, otherwise it wouldn't be here, but is there a site that actually shows screenshots of the parts produced by Studio 4°C?

EDIT: Oh, never mind, I found the anime-ish commercial, though that's not a very user-friendly site to navigate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsyxx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:11 pm Reply with quote
2 of the commercial are done in anime style. Probably animated in Japan from the level of quality. I find the advertising campaign pretty anoying though. I'm sick of corporate vampires sucking the life out of hip hop culture.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Nike's Chamber of Fear has the commercial spots produced in flash, so you can see each part once you beat each level.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:19 pm Reply with quote
You seem to be able to watch the commericals without playing the games, unless there's additional footage you need to play the game to see, but I don't have the slightest bit of interest in doing that.

Eh, that's the most pretentious corporate advertising site I've been to in quite a while, and that's saying a lot. They should just have an "eff this game crap, I just want to watch the commercials" button on the front page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:19 pm Reply with quote
It may be somewhat Barbaric, but slaps on the wrist don't help the crime rate either. The idea that consequences don't matter (or are even considered an option) may be one of the reasons why we have some of the problems with crime in the US. Let's face it, it's not as if one is stealing bread to live here... vandalism is a deliberate act in which you deface property that does not belong to you, with no justification behind it.

Not only that, but from my understanding, there were numerous signs giving warning of the consequences of caning. The idea behind consequences is to have it be a deterrent, but it's not very effective if those consequences are weak. Sometimes I think the US's punitive system is too weak and lax, which is why have some of the problems we have today.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
jsyxx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Too bad those ultra-conservative, back-water attitudes have gone the way of the dinosaur in this country, where they belong. Lets not mention that they adressed this in the constitution, but lets just throw that out he window to lower the crime rate a tad, and make the entire youth hate the government that was originally put in place to serve the people.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:36 pm Reply with quote
It's not like we are talking about loss of life and limb here, it's just recognizing that the punitive system in the US is less than effective, especially in comparison to other countries. If people don't feel that there is a higher power keeping them accountable, there isn't much to stop them from doing whatever they want, when they want. Or am I to understand that you think society would be better off run by anarchistic tendencies?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5