• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Rivals/Adversaries Tournament-Minigame

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:40 pm Reply with quote
The Naked Beast wrote:
Key, the spreadsheet link is giving a "Page Not Found" notice.

Corrected; I accidentally chopped off the "s" in "xls."

And I don't know what's up with my preceding post, as I posted that on Friday but somehow it now has a Sunday date on it. Curious. . .

Anyway, I am working on the bracketing right now (along with a couple of other things), so hopefully I'll have it up within a couple of hours.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:43 am Reply with quote
The bracket is finally done. It can be found at the link below and at the one on the OP. This bracket can be used for the Minigame sub-tournament. (Dorcas_Aurelia, could you post the standards on this?)

Rivals Tournament bracket

A few notes on the bracket:

*This was my most diligent effort yet to avoid power match-ups in the early rounds. I also made sure that when a franchise was represented more than once in the same Group (which I believe happened twice), those entries were on opposite sides of the bracket within that Group.
*Seeds went down to 8th in each Group, so each second-round pairing only has one contestant with 7+ votes feeding into it (and one peaks at 6 votes).
*After that, it got a little tricky. The top half of vote-getters split the 4-point crowd, so there were seven 4-pointers mixed into the bottom half. That means that there are probably one or two first-round matches between contestants on the median.
*The top-half contestant in each match is on the top of each match-up; the bottom-half contestant is on the bottom. I am otherwise not revealing who the seeds are, although in many cases it shouldn't be hard to tell.
*Note that the series name for Asobi ni Ikuyo! has been updated in the bracket to reflect the God-awful English name that Funimation gave it in their recent acquisition announcement (i.e. Cat Planet Cuties Rolling Eyes).

Because of the peculiarities of the nomination process, I fully expect that we're going to see a fair number of minor upsets in the first round, as I am convinced that the strength of some candidates wasn't fully appreciated in the nominations process. But which ones will they be????

Anyway, the tournament will start no earlier than the 12th of July, and it will only start that early if I can get up to speed on setting up the Guide entries. That will be tough with the Preview Guide running full-strength between now and then (and next weekend in particular, which will be crunch time for the Guide, has a lot of new series due out), but we'll see what I can do. If I have to push the start time back another week, I'll know that for certain by next Sunday evening.

Last edited by Key on Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:16 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Rules for ANN's Best Rivals Tournament Mini-game
Submissions:
To enter the mini-game, fill out and send me a completed bracket. Brackets can be emailed to me at Sean_A_Rooney [at] yahoo [dot] com. Submissions may be submitted up until the tournament starts.

Detailed Instructions
1. Download the bracket spreadsheet file that Key provided.
2. Copy the names of the characters you expect to win into the respective fields.
3. Rename and save the spreadsheet with your username in the file name.
4. Email the completed spreadsheet as an attachment to me, preferably including "minigame" in the email topic.
5. ???
6. Profit!

Scoring:
First round - each correct guess is worth 1 point.
Second round - each correct guess is worth 2 points.
Third round - each correct guess is worth 3 points.
Fourth round - each correct guess is worth 4 points.
Fifth round - each correct guess is worth 6 points.
Semifinal round - each correct guess is worth 8 points.
Final round - a correct guess is worth 10 points.

Prizes:
First place will receive $150 worth of anime, manga, and/or related products of their choice.
Second place will receive $100 worth of anime, manga, and/or related products of their choice.
Third place will receive $50 worth of anime, manga, and/or related products of their choice.
In the event of a tie, the prizes will be split evenly (e.g. if the results produce a first place winner and a tie for second, first place receives $150, the two in second receive $75 each).

Eligibility:
Anyone may enter. In order to receive the full prize, you must be able to provide a mailing address to which the prize can be delivered.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I have so far received minigame submissions from the following people:
marie-antoinette
Ggultra2764

That's it.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:48 pm Reply with quote
People do have time to get their entries written up, though, because the chance that I'll be ready to go by Monday night is now next to nil. (I have just gotten crushed by the Preview Guide work, amongst other things, over the past couple of days.) I'm now looking at pulling the trigger at midnight on Tuesday the 19th, GMT-5.
Tris8

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Hey Key, just wanted to say thanks for your work here! The bracket looks great, my only complaint would be that Kazuki vs. Papillion are up against Li vs. Reinhard in the first round Anime cry. I suppose it's possible they might win.... Anime hyper
And Dorcas_Aurelia too, thanks for doing the minigame for us!
Olliff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:21 am Reply with quote
Planning on particpating as always. Glad I have some extra time, too, Key. Some of these early round match ups are tougher than usual and I sense a lot of inconsistencies between the number of nominations and actual strength. I factored in popularity and general series respect among ANN posters, and things still don't add up. I'm calling that at least of the 1/3 top 16 vote getters won't making into the sweet 16.

And it goes without saying thank again Dorcas_Aurelia for making these tournaments possible along with a big thank you to everyone else who helps out here and there as well.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:44 am Reply with quote
I have started working on my brackets, but I am hesitating to send it- Im gonna suck big times this time round...I was not even aware how many characters and series from this tournament I have never heard of :/
kimbeey13

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Just finished and sent in my bracket. I had a lot of fun filling it out and I spent a decent bit of time going over who I thought would beat whom. Thank you for hosting this minigame, Dorcas_Aurelia!

Last edited by kimbeey13 on Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
The bracket looks great, my only complaint would be that Kazuki vs. Papillion are up against Li vs. Reinhard in the first round Anime cry. I suppose it's possible they might win.... Anime hyper

I know, seeing that one crushed me a little, especially after seeing Signum/Fate starting off against Tutu/Kraehe.

So, I've received another 5 entries, which means there will actually be a competition for who gets a prize.

Participant list:
marie-antoinette
Ggultra2764
Mylene
Past
Unicorn_Blade
Kimbeey13
The Naked Beast
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:17 pm Reply with quote
That's a relief. Thank you Dorcas_Aurelia for your work on this, and you too Key-sensei.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Just emailed my entry. No confidence at all.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:02 am Reply with quote
Yeah, two match-ups make me sad: Blast vs Trapnest being up against Light vs L and Tamahome vs Nakago up with Lelouch vs Suzaku. I love all these rivalries and wish they could all make it to the second round Sad
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:15 am Reply with quote
Key,

Just a little nit-pick about your document: You list the Goku vs. Piccolo Jr. rivalry as being part of Dragonball Z. That rivalry occurs mainly in Dragonball and is pretty much over by DBZ, where Goku's main rival is Vegeta, not Piccolo.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:51 pm Reply with quote
I will look into that nitpick.

General Update: All of the character files are done, so the tournament will, without question, start at midnight EST (GMT-5) on the 19th as previously announced.

And after reading all of these files: wow, it's going to be interesting picking my bracket, as I think a lot of these matches are going to be a lot less clear-cut than their nomination numbers suggest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 20