• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghost in the Shell 2 Subtitle / CC issues

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyberphin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:36 pm Reply with quote
It just seems like they just pushed it through without really doing a good job. It's annoying ot see the sound effects in a subtitle track. I also hate the dvd cover art. I'll probably print out my own cover.
I may just get a Japanese version for the first time since many Japanese disks are starting to have english translations.
Cowpunk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I just checked the Japanese release does not have subtitles.

Looks like we are stuck with what they have released for now.

Why they did not include another sub track I don't understand.
OTP

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen Innocence yet, but really, what's the big deal? Are a couple of sound effects really going to hurt your enjoyment of the movie?
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:15 pm Reply with quote
OTP wrote:
Are a couple of sound effects really going to hurt your enjoyment of the movie?

That's the problem though, it's not a couple of sound effects, it's every one. That is, at best, annoying. The bigger issue is why they were so lazy. Even if they decided to put the caption track on subs, then I'm not sure why they didn't just add another straight English sub stream to it. I can't believe they wouldn't think this would upset many people. Maybe the question is whether they care or not.
Zeiram

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:20 pm Reply with quote
<.< how does this make a lick of sense? They want us to watch the most difficult line for line script out of Japan (even Japanese peopel had trouble with it) Without a propper translation? No dub?

I might as well watch it raw for bob's sake x_x

Even the movie in theaters (Gaaa that was gorgeous!!!!) had subs. If they allready had a propper sub, then why didn't they use that? please tell me waiiii x_x
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Aren't most of their products in English anyway and don't require subtitles, just captioning? I can see why they would say this is their standard aproach, but they should have a different approach for titles that aren't in english already.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
imppilot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone own this DVD yet? Does it actually look half bad, ie is it noticably CC and not subs (minus soundeffects)? I saw it in theaters as well (OMG the Shineyness!) and it was subbed, so what happened to that track...though I think someone else brought that up too.
GSAttack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:28 pm Reply with quote
OTP wrote:
I haven't seen Innocence yet, but really, what's the big deal? Are a couple of sound effects really going to hurt your enjoyment of the movie?

I've seen a number of Anime movies with subs and unnecessary captions are an annoying distraction. I was extremely dissappointed with the way Dreamworks/Go Fish handled this movie. It just goes to show this is one area of film that Dreamworks should stay out of. Sad
dmanjdb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Dreamworks/Go Fish have done a horrible job with this DVD like the first post I think the cover is BUTT UGLY... especially when comparing it to the japanese poster art and DVD cover. Second no English dub (Since this about the subs I will not go into detail). Now this subtitle situation. The only trouble I have is DW/GF reply about this was like "We are too cheap to change our DVD products". It doesn't looks good to anime fans when you say crap like that.
halo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I have the DVD and yes it's annoying but it doean't make it unwatchable. It's actualy funny at points, especialy when you get a caption that says [silence]. I'm personaly more annoyed with them using the translation "ebrain" as opposed to the "cyberbrain" translation than Bandai and Manga have been using, but that's just nitpicking.

As far as I can tell, neither the R2 Japanese or the R3 versions have English suntitles. I might rip the move, edit the subs and reauthor it to DVD-R if I have nothing better to do.
mrhomiec

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Zeiram wrote:
Even the movie in theaters (Gaaa that was gorgeous!!!!) had subs. If they allready had a propper sub, then why didn't they use that? please tell me waiiii x_x

i know! i saw it in theatres too, and this is the first time i heard of the dvd even out and not havin proper subs when the theatrical release did is stupid
imppilot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Didn't Go Fish learn what to do when they made Millennium Actress, they did that one well. The thing that worries me is that Dreamworks might do this to Casshern. Which if will confuse the living heck out of all who watch the film (great film though).
Erufu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Oh, no! They do have Casshern! They'll probably dub it over and call it good enough...

Are they officially releasing the Japanese version? Last time I read, it was that or remake it, and nobody was sure what Dreamworks planned to do.
Kateonfire

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I must be the odd one out, because having to watch closed captioning doesn't bother me, and neither does the DVD cover. Though since they listed both a subtitle track and a CC one on the box, it would be nice to get my money's worth.

Last edited by Kateonfire on Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
halo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Erufu wrote:
Oh, no! They do have Casshern! They'll probably dub it over and call it good enough...

It's doubtful at this point that they'll dub anything, especialy since they didn't dub Innocence.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6