• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gunbuster 2 Trailer [2005-02-01]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cubs2084

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:49 pm Reply with quote
What is the release rate for Gunbuster in Japan? And I wonder if this will ultimately have any connection to the first Gunbuster.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Utils

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:59 pm Reply with quote
I believe this news is about the second DVD for GUNBUSTER 2. Otherwise, this news is very old and was probably already reported last year.
LimeLover J-2-X

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:02 am Reply with quote
Hee hee hee.....this trailer gets me really excited for the prospect of a new Gunbuster. That is a good question though, will this sequel really be a sequel at all, or even have anything to do with the original? You gotta wonder.....

Pyon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:15 am Reply with quote
It's not very good, I've seen the first disc

It barely has any relation to the original, and it seems more like Giant Robo in a lot of ways, especially the mech designs. Meh is about the best review I can give it, as it lacks all of the charm and fanboy stuff that made the original such a timeless classic
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Sword of Whedon wrote:
It's not very good, I've seen the first disc

It barely has any relation to the original, and it seems more like Giant Robo in a lot of ways, especially the mech designs. Meh is about the best review I can give it, as it lacks all of the charm and fanboy stuff that made the original such a timeless classic

I think you may be right,especially after witnessing the travesty that is Great Dangaioh, which does nothing for the original classic OVA series. Revamps or sequels are usually measured to it's predecessor,wether or not it can live up to the orginal. In many ways it does when you include Gatchaman 94,Casshan,Devilman,the New Fist of the Northstar and Cutey Honey. But Gunbuster2 may be another exception IMO.
cubs2084

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I wasn't impressed with the first episode at all. It just struck me as a FLCL clone, full of blatant fanservice and a complete disregard for everything that made the original great. I'll keep watching, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
utawoutau

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:34 am Reply with quote
Is it just me or does it seem like everything that Gainax has done lately revolves around Fanservice? Its as though they lost all of the original staff and replaced them with a bunch of horn dogs.
beelzebozo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:39 pm Reply with quote
It looked more like Evangelion mixed with FLCL. Gimme the old Mikimoto character designs.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Gainax always had the fan service, but it was fun and tongue in cheek

That's the real problem. They've pretty much lost all their real talent, and the entire industry has gone to crap in the last few years, dumbing down everything

I honestly don't think I even want the Honneamise sequel anymore
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:08 pm Reply with quote
We should stop calling this series Gunbuster 2, as the real alternative title is Die Buster. After all, Gunbuster purists will be less insulted with Die Buster than Gunbuster 2.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
thebaron

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Was not very impressed with the beginning of the series....I'll stick with the tried and true original version.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1