• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Stream New Hunter x Hunter Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keyl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:56 pm Reply with quote
just want to point out that is says hunter x hunter otherwise, this is great news. Been interested in the series.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Title error. Hunger --> Hunter. Correction please.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Loved the original TV series. Definitely going to be checking this out as well.
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised Crunchy got chosen over an actual R1 licensor like Viz, but oh well I have no complaints as long as it;s simulcast.
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:24 pm Reply with quote
YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS! Crunchy getting on my good side again =D I'm going to watch this with my little brother, he wanted to watch the older version but now the remake is out! Anime smile
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
I'm surprised Crunchy got chosen over an actual R1 licensor like Viz, but oh well I have no complaints as long as it;s simulcast.

I was wondering if Viz would get it too. I'm glad Crunchyroll got it. Hooray!
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:

Doesn't mean Viz can't get it later for DVD release.. Crunchy only owns simulcast rights.
jsc315

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Well usually the only one that doesnt play with CR well is Funimation. But it looks like ill be renewing my subscription for the the new season. This was really the only show I'm interested in as of now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:28 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Divineking wrote:

Doesn't mean Viz can't get it later for DVD release.. Crunchy only owns simulcast rights.

Or they both could get it like with Bleach, Naruto, and Blue Exorcist.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Wow, a US, UK, and "the Dominions" license. I wonder if the region restrictions fall in line with the way that the Manga localizations are licensed ~ its unusual for Crunchyroll to get the UK and Ireland but not Norway and Sweden, or for Crunchyroll to get Australia and New Zealand but not South America and the Caribbean.
xScar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:32 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Wow, a US, UK, and "the Dominions" license. I wonder if the region restrictions fall in line with the way that the Manga localizations are licensed ~ its unusual for Crunchyroll to get the UK and Ireland but not Norway and Sweden, or for Crunchyroll to get Australia and New Zealand but not South America and the Caribbean.

Most likely has to do with the show being from NTV, and not someone like TV Tokyo.

As far as I know, this is the first thing NTV has put up on CR themselves. Only two other titles that aired on NTV have ever been on CR, but they were published by companies other than NTV. Beelzebub was done under YTV and Deadman Wonderland was Kadokawa.
Maciste

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:25 am Reply with quote
Yes, sweet! Fantastic news for me.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:57 am Reply with quote
xScar wrote:
agila61 wrote:

Most likely has to do with the show being from NTV, and not someone like TV Tokyo.
On second thought, that's one of the region carve-outs for DVD rights ~ I recall FUNimation saying they prefer to license for North America alone, and when they sublicense to Australia/NZ and UK/Ireland, its because it was the "English speaking countries" rights on offer.

And yes, this is the first simulcast that NTV has published on Crunchyroll, There's one more Madhouse series broadcast on NTV ~ and while Hunter x Hunter reportedly has competition for the main licensed, the other one is less likely to. So we could see if this is a general trend with series licensed out by NTV, or something particular about Hunter x Hunter, in the week ahead.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1