• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Introductions / Meet ANN / Tell us about Yourself (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
magdollz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Hi, I'm Maggie! Naruto lurrveerrrr
Speeddasher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm Speeddasher (I'm not going to tell you my real name), and I'm just a basic otaku. I'm a big fan of the Mario Games, and my favorite anime is Fullmetal Alchemist, and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood.
Anime_freak4000

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Ok Lets see
Name: Andrea
Age: 24, but looks like 15 and acts like an 8 year old from time to time. (What can I say I like to be pamper)
Pets: None
Like: I love Anime, Manga, anything Japan related, music, learning new things, learn new languages, reading (sometimes)
Dislikes: Cigaretts, fast food, stuck ups, insects, snakes, rats, anything gross
Favorite Anime: Bakura Ga Ita, Nana, Sailor Moon, Gant, Blood +, Fullmetal Alchemist, anything Hentai and Yaoi and much more.
Favorite Manga: Again anything Yaoi, Nana, Bokura Ga Ita, Vampire Knight and anything that makes me cry and laugh
Favorite Food: Chinese and Colombian, especially Empanadas
Favorite Game: I'm very dumb to play games so I don't play any and the last one I played was Harry Potter and Pokemon, (not something to brag about)
Favorite TV: I don't watch that much but I would have to go with Gossip Girl, Chelsea Lately, Anime of course, True Blood and that's about it...I think
Favorte Drink: Wine and water
Favorite Sites: Lets see, crunchroll, ANN, and any anime and manga sites
Favorite Music: J-pop, X-japan, eminem, 50 cent, Nelly, Reggeaton, Salsa, Merengue, Bachata, rock and I can't thing of anything else...sorry
Hobbies: Spend time with my family, watch anime and read manga, work out, (from time to time), tennis and read I guess.
brtbrt123

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Not so interesting or fun facts about Past: Originally from Hawaii, have lived all over the U.S. and got a degree in Environmental Biology from SUNY in New York. Although I have been to Japan and love Japanese culture I would have to say my favorite country is Spain and fell in love with it after visiting, and plan to someday live there.

Maybe interesting fact about Past: has a relatively high tolerance to heat and natural toxins, poisons, etc.

Sorry no photos of Past (coming soon maybe...)
essayyweb1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:41 am Reply with quote
Hello ..........

I just joined this forum and a new member of this community. My name is Mike Todd.
I am here to learn new things.
ivansan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Name: Keith Roggenstein (aka Ivan)

Smoke/Drink: I smoke socially, and drinking is mostly socially, but when you learn to drink in Europe, you learn to DRINK as well as party!

Occupation: Unemployed at the moment, but getting sent to BMT for the Air Force in 6 weeks as of this post (and can't wait!).

Religious View: Catholic (Someday if someone explains why I should be confirmed, I might take those classes)

Favorite Anime: (Hmm the short list would be) Bleach, Outlaw Star, Full Metal Panic, Full Metal Alchemist (Brotherhood as well), Air Gear, Angel Beats!, Hand Maid May, Asobi ni Iku yo!, Time of Eve, Hellsing(Ultimate too), Trigun, and this is the short list.

Favorite Manga: Bleach, Air Gear, Hellsing, Love Hina (The one that started me on manga and anime), Negima!, and that's about it.

Dislikes: Waiting for latest releases on anime and/or manga I'm keeping up on, not having the money to buy all the series I want..

Likes: Finding series that just click with me and watching/reading them to the end, reviewing anime series as I finish them on a notepad.

My Quote to live by: “Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” -Mahatma Gandhi
johnmdws3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:06 am Reply with quote
Hello everybody, my name is John Meadows. I am 27 years old. I live in Indianapolis, Indiana. I love watching Princess Tutu, Yumeria and Angel Beats! I love watching Princess Tutu so much that I am writing a storyline to keep Duck a girl and working on the premise that Fakir loves Duck. When I get it finished, I will post my storyline on this forum.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:18 am Reply with quote
johnmdws3 wrote:
...working on the premise that Fakir loves Duck...

Premise? But he does! Even though she's a duck. That's true love if there ever was.

Anyway, welcome to the forums. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
johnmdws3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:44 am Reply with quote
Thank you everybody for welcoming me here. I am a Princess Tutu fan and I would like to see more from the series, anybody else want more Princess Tutu? I have an idea floating around to write my own storyline to bring Princess Tutu back forever! If anybody wants more, you may message me and also give ideas for other storylines that I can write. I also like Yumeria and Angel Beats! I haven't been able to find all of the Angel Beats episodes online just yet, but I have watched all of Yumeria, and I think the series should go on, because the Faydooms they fight are produced from humans negative emotions, and they may have destroyed all in one series, but humans will always have the negative emotions that produce the Faydooms.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Well, I have been here for six months now, so I suppose that it is not just some passing diversion, or at least that it hasn't passed yet.

My profile is almost distressingly long, especially when I went off the rails with the quotations... I'll just consider my narcissism quota for the next few months to have been borrowed and spent in advance upon it, probably at a very unfavorable interest rate.

I had trouble with the 'favorite X' parts, I didn't give the books question a real answer and my answers to the others are closer to representative samples than definitive lists. I don't really organize my opinions in a very detailed fashion. In my mind I have a sort of thumbs up or thumbs down organization with a few special pedestals and abyssal pits.

I'll likely edit it a few times to add, remove and alter items. I have a bad habit of treating forum posts like private documents that I can edit over and over again without consequence.

Name: I have three, each with some consonants and vowels. The first is Latin in origin, the middle Greek and the last German.

Sex: I have a beard and don’t work for a circus. I invite you to draw the appropriate inference.

Marital Status: Alone and trying not to make the mistake with myself that Ford made with the Edsel, or so I tell myself.

Age: More than old enough to vote, but rather too young to collect social security.

Ethnicity: The simple version is ½ Pennsylvania Dutch, ¼ Scottish, ¼ Irish; a more accurate account of my ancestry would be more muddled, but that the meat of it. The truest version is ‘burst-into-flames-upon-contact-with-sunlight white’

Religion: Atheist pro tanto or maybe just apatheism. Faith has never really felt important to me and most of the concepts and ideas of that so move others fail to similarly affect me. I don't suppose that the falsehood of any faith can really be proven, but I find it far easier to believe that there are psychological or social reasons that humanity has created faiths than to believe in any faith itself. This means, however, that there are to me no real stakes in whether or not somebody believes in something. A Christian may hold that by not believing, I will go to Hell, whereas all I can hold is that by believing, a Christian will go to church, but if he derives some social or psychological benefit from that, I can't begudge him being a Christian. I also have no innate reason to revere faith, but I consider it needlessly rude to disrespect it. By and by, if I oppose somebody on grounds that implicate faith, it iwll be because their religious values fall at odds with my secular ones, such as if adherents of a religion advocate censorship on religious grounds, or if some belief is particularly dangerous, such as the refusal of blood transfusions by Jehovah’s Witnesses… also their annoying habit of hocking their faith door-to-door as though it were a pocket fisherman.

Pets: None and never

Drink/Smoke: I occassionally smoke pipes and cigars, preferring pretty strong tasting tobaccos in both cases, but I've always hated cigarettes. I was teetotal until July of 2011, but I’ve become pretty fond of single malt scotch, particularly strong Islay blends like Laphroaig.

Electoral systems other than single-member plurality
Cities
Pre-war architecture (Especially Second Empire Gothic, Richardsonian Romanesque and Beaux-Arts)
Felt Hats
Spontaneous Order
Black comedy
Fountain Pens

Dislikes
Arguments from authority
The suburbs
Baseball caps
People who fetishize obnoxious behavior
People who use, “sorry,” in any context but a sincere apology
Rhetorical Indignity
People who don’t clear the seats beside them on the bus when new passenger boards
People who talk with food in their mouths
People who lack self-awareness, especially of their cognitive biases
Populism
Things that are disposable

Favorite anime
Cowboy Bebop
Patlabor the Movie 2
Now and Then, Here and There
Noir
Galaxy Express 999
Kino's Journey

Favorite Manga
Wandering Son
A Bride's Story
Appleseed

Favorite Books
I’ve read plenty, but somehow, I can’t really think of any that I consider favorites; all that I can say is that I haven’t read much fiction since I left high school and tend to prefer books that explain and analyze constitutions and political institutions as well as sometimes relatively accessible books on ethics and finance.

Favorite Game
Baldur’s Gate
Baldur’s Gate 2: The Shadows of Amn
Civilizations II-IV
Rumsch (A fairly straightforward card game played in some parts of Pennsylvania Dutch country that I played at many a family Belsnickel party; something of a sentimental favorite)

Favorite Telvision shows
The Venture Bros.
Home Movies
Mystery Science Theater 3000
Babylon 5
The Critic
30 Rock
Monty Python’s Flying Circus
SCTV
Doctor Who
A Nero Wolfe Mystery

Favorite Films
Smoke
12 Angry Men
Wings of Desire (Der Himmel Über Berlin)
The Big Sleep
Doctor Strangelove, or, How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb

Favorite Drinks
Birch Beer
Root Beer (Especially Boylan's)
Ginger Beer (Especially Reed's Extra Ginger Brew)
Islay Single-Malt Scotch

Favorite Foods
I seem to turn everything that I possibly can into a sandwich. I have a long standing, simple love for hoagies and cheesesteaks. I have a special fondness for soft pretzels, which have been a reliable means to shut me up since I was very young. My experience with less common stuff isn't too great, but I can safely claim to be especially fond of Greek food, in particular that they do with Lamb as well as an dessert known as galaktobourekos.

Favorite Websites
ANN
The League of Ordinary Gentlemen
Marginal Revolutions
Constitution Making
Wikipedia (Dubious for research, wonderful for curiosity)

Favorite Sport (to watch)
Whatever sport's teams are most violent, or at least that's what I'll tell them.

Favorite Sport (to play)
Is walking a sport? I do walk fairly often.

Favorite Music
I am a very big Tom Waits fan, which I ultimately owe to the wonderful finale of the film Smoke, and I am fond of a number of other singer-songwriter types who many say can’t sing, to wit: Chuck E. Weiss, Leonard Cohen, Rickie Lee Jones, Nick Cave, Captain Beefheart and Leon Redbone. I also love jazz, something that I owe to Cowboy Bebop, especially fifties and sixties hard bop, with particular favorites of mine being Jackie McLean, Thad Jones, Joe Maneri, Coleman Hawkins and Duke Ellington

Job: Pennsylvania Management Associate

Education
BA in Linguistics and Political Science from SUNY Albany
MPA with a concentration in financial market regulation and certificate in public sector management from Rockefeller College

Hobbies:
Studying and writing constitutions (I have a bizarre dream of writing a new constitution for each of the fifty states, so far I’ve done Pennsylvania and part of New York)
Constructed worlds and languages (I never get very far before I discard my efforts in disgust, but I try)

Fun facts
I’ve had a beard and moustache since before I turned sixteen
I can make my tongue swell large enough to fill my mouth (A skill that I cannot explain and that has no useful application!)
I’ve memorized Lewis Carroll’s “Jabberwocky”
I am seldom seen out-of-doors without a hat
I shave with a straight razor
I put a lyric from a Tom Waits song in the subject line of every one of my posts
If I don't try to restrain myself, whether from laziness or distress, I easily slip into naturally writing (and even talking) with vocabulary and syntax nearly as convoluted and arcane as that of Sir Humphrey from Yes, Minister

Useful notes about my worldview

My interpretations of politics tend to reflect a less rigorous version of the attitude evidenced in "Ten Things Political Scientists Know That You Don't"

I skeptical of value judgements, which I see as mostly serving the ego of the person judging while offering limited understanding. I prefer to look for structural and psychological reasons that, allowing for randomness, explain the origins and causes of things. Similarly, I usually prefer morally neutral explanations and interpretations of things.

I generally reject an unambiguous or credulous perceptions of the world. I think that most people are inadequately wary of their susceptibility to confirmation bias, motivated reasoning and a desire for certainty over accuracy. I usually look for mitigating factors and ambiguities in things and I seldom accept that the reasons that people give or hold for their acts and beliefs are the true ones. I guess this makes me skeptical of virtue, but it does not exclude evaluating actions and beliefs by their consequences and thus by some values.

I will usually disagree with the most obnoxiously loud people in a conversation, whether they achieve this by being many people agreeing too eagerly and vigorously upon a point or by a single person being as preeningly angry or indignant, smug and needlessly aggressive as they can be. When too many people agree too quickly and with too much sureness on a point, I can’t help but think that they are overlooking something or agreeing for the sake of something other than sincere occurrence. When somebody is too overtly, conspicuously assertive, I tend to think that he is either just trying to preemptively bully the opposition into silence or that he is trying to divert attention from or substitute for his bad reasoning or inaccurate, if not absent, facts.

I usually favor spontaneous over planned order.

I’m pretty sure that I’m usually wrong.

Favorite Quotations

"Great men are almost always bad men."
~Lord John Dalberg Acton

“But she goes not abroad in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own. She will recommend the general cause, by the countenance of her voice, and the benignant sympathy of her example. She well knows that by once enlisting under other banners than her own, were they even the banners of foreign independence, she would involve herself, beyond the power of extrication, in all the wars of interest and intrigue, of individual avarice, envy, and ambition, which assume the colors and usurp the standard of freedom. The fundamental maxims of her policy would insensibly change from liberty to force. The frontlet upon her brows would no longer beam with the ineffable splendor of freedom and independence; but in its stead would soon be substituted an imperial diadem, flashing in false and tarnished lustre the murky radiance of dominion and power. She might become the dictatress of the world: she would be no longer the ruler of her own spirit.”
~John Quincy Adams, speaking before the House of Representatives on Independence Day, 1838

"It's the same with men as with horses and dogs. Nothing wants to die."
~Tom Waits, "Fall of Troy", from Orphans (Bawlers)

"O Lord our Father, our young patriots, idols of our hearts, go forth to battle – be Thou near them! With them – in spirit – we also go forth from the sweet peace of our beloved firesides to smite the foe. O Lord our God, help us to tear their soldiers to bloody shreds with our shells; help us to cover their smiling fields with the pale forms of their patriot dead; help us to drown the thunder of the guns with the shrieks of their wounded, writhing in pain; help us to lay waste their humble homes with a hurricane of fire; help us to wring the hearts of their unoffending widows with unavailing grief; help us to turn them out roofless with little children to wander unfriended the wastes of their desolated land in rags and hunger and thirst, sports of the sun flames of summer and the icy winds of winter, broken in spirit, worn with travail, imploring Thee for the refuge of the grave and denied it – for our sakes who adore Thee, Lord, blast their hopes, blight their lives, protract their bitter pilgrimage, make heavy their steps, water their way with their tears, stain the white snow with the blood of their wounded feet! We ask it, in the spirit of love, of Him Who is the Source of Love, and Who is the ever-faithful refuge and friend of all that are sore beset and seek His aid with humble and contrite hearts. Amen.”
~From “The War Prayer”, by Mark Twain

"The meaning of words had no longer the same relation to things, but was changed by them as they thought proper. Reckless daring was held to be loyal courage; prudent delay was the excuse of a coward; moderation was the disguise of unmanly weakness; to know everything was to do nothing. Frantic energy was the true quality of a man.”
~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War, book III

"Don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk."
~Tom Waits, "Heartattack and Vine"

“Oh? And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned ’round on you, where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat? This country is planted thick with laws, from coast to coast, Man’s laws, not God’s! And if you cut them down, and you’re just the man to do it, do you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then? Yes, I’d give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety’s sake!”
~Sir Thomas Moore in Robert Bolt’s A Man For All Seasons

“I do not believe in the Divinity of Christ”
~William Howard Taft

“Nothing is more certainly written in the book of fate than that these people are to be free. Nor is it less certain that the two races, equally free, cannot live in the same government. Nature, habit, opinion has drawn indelible lines of distinction between them. It is still in our power to direct the process of emancipation and deportation peaceably and in such slow degree as that the evil will wear off insensibly, and their place be pari passu filled up by free white laborers. If on the contrary it is left to force itself on, human nature must shudder at the prospect held up. We should in vain look for an example in the Spanish deportation or deletion of the Moors. This precedent would fall far short of our case.”
~Thomas Jefferson, Autobiography

(A note of explanation on the above; the first sentence is quoted alone on the walls of the Jefferson Memorial, but I admire the whole thing because with the less admirable rest of the passage, it becomes a indictment of American ‘civil religion’)

Picture
Never! I decided a while ago that it would be a bad idea. As a consolation prize, I offer a picture of my hats (with my old apartment in the background)

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:06 pm; edited 10 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vegetatown

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:10 pm Reply with quote
And here we GO...
Name: Rich

Last edited by vegetatown on Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:28 am; edited 8 times in total
vegetatown

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah...because i don't want to be "that guy" who virtually ignores the post above him--especially when it seems like it took a whole weekend to write it-- I figured i'd extend a welcome hello to SurrenderArtist.

So how goes it Surrender artist?
i have to say i was impressed with your overall bio and your quotes. You seem to be well-read. I take it you've probably read Common Sense by Thomas Paine?
I just picked up a copy and enjoyed it-- mainly because it's so short.
Since I usually don't read materials from American historical figures and it looks like you do, are there any good reads you can recommend (aside from the federalist papers)?
n30sh4d0w

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Hey everyone,

I am kind of new here and my brain is like this right now at the sheer vastness of animenewsnetwork:

Here my info:
Name: n30sh4d0w (neoshadow)
Sex: Anonymous
Maritial Status: Single
Ethnicity: Black Irish
Pets: 1 white neko ;3
Romance stories
Shoujo, Echii, Harem, Fantasy, and Comedy genres
Books
Nature
Kitties
Dislikes:
Trajedy
stories that feel like reality tv drama
mean people
youtube trolls

Pets: 1 neko

So I apologize in advance if this is the wrong thread to ask request for reviews of and shout suggestions for anime. I tried posting this in the preview thread, but I got a "forum does not exist error" Please take care of me (*bows*).

While watching Persona 4 this weekend, I was reminded of Hiimdaisy Comic Dub done by StrawberryCreme26 and others. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mUTQKMRLYQ ) .
Is anyone ANN staff planning on doing a review of Persona 4?
If its not to much trouble, I thought it might be humorous to see if anyone who is doing a review of Persona 4 Animation could make some humorous references to Hiimdaisy comic.

P.S. I am having trouble posting so sorry if I double posted >0<;;
AmishGramish

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Name: Aaron
Sex: Male
Occupation: Business Owner/Community Manager/Laborer (Or: Very, very busy.)

Favorite Band: They Might Be Giants
Favorite Anime: Trigun
Favorite TV Show: Arrested Development
Favorite American Cartoon: Invader Zim
Favorite Movie: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Favorite Anime Movie: The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

Business Info: Entertainment Company (Licensing entertainment and sponsoring development of new entertainment)
Name: No Logo LLC
Inaugural Product: Denny Schneidemesser's First Album
Second Product: Working on it. Wink
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:11 pm Reply with quote
AmishGramish wrote:
Name: Aaron
Sex: Male

Holy shit! It's me!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 132 of 233