• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ben-to (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:32 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/8208/bentoguidetodating.jpg

I don't know who the creator is, but I found it thanks to Momoka Kibi on the Fandom Post boards.

LOL!! Ok, that made my day a little better. Thank you for that one. Very Happy
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:48 am Reply with quote
so now we knows some rules of ben-to food fighting yea also beware of boars, storms, etc & oh a wizard did it help new guy some lessons.

yea indeed also throw in this http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/820...detodating.jpg only thing missing yandere side oh well.

overall really been on yea really who ever came up with this indeed best idea ever.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:42 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

"I think I'd like to just start with one person, if that's possible."

Another great episode. I'm glad You remembered why those bento tasted so great in the first place, and that Sen was more than happy to divulge some words of wisdom. I really like Sen because she's not really an Ice Witch at all and freely shows emotions. I thought she'd be another Yuki Nagato, but Sen laughs, smiles, talks with feeling, shares and is just not what I thought going in.

And I'm not as worried about ecchi moments and Shaga like I was in my first post. The way the show has been handling those moments and actually making them funny - particularly the "do it" from this episode - gives me a lot of relief. So while I'm sure Shaga will be one big bag of fanservice, the show won't suffer at all because it's made great jokes out of fanservice so far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:46 am Reply with quote
I confess when I saw the K.K.K. on the back of the "Gundogs" shirts, I wondered what your reaction was going to be, TKoH ... Wink

I was not as enamoured of this eppie as the last one. Just didn't feel as funny to me. Misunderstandings over questions like, "Do you want to do it with me?" are not exactly zesty fresh comedic gold. Also, it was obvious 0.0000000001 seconds after MC ate the bento why he wasn't finding it delicious and I got a bit impatient (and much older) waiting for the penny to finally drop in his own mind. But at long last "The Beauty By the Lake" has been introduced (what is it about anime that makes it so comfortable delaying the introduction of important secondary characters?) so that should be fun.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:57 am Reply with quote
Meh. It got a nice chuckle out of me, and I liked You's reaction when he saw it. Actually, I'm curious what that KKK stands for. In Shuffle, KKK stands Knights of the Kissy Kaede.

And while the "misunderstanding Do It" isn't original, You's reaction of pulling her hair was different. If that happened in something like Shuffle, Rin would've turn as red as an apple and stuttered as he tried to explain himself, only to end the sentence with something like "But it's not like I w-wouldn't 'do it' with you...BECAUSE YOU'RE SO PRETTY AND NICE AND I'D BE OK IF IT WAS YOU!"

Between You and Kodaka from Haganai, I like how male characters are taking usually predictable situations and going in different directions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:29 am Reply with quote
3dr ep not quite as good as the 2nd, but its still early and they seem to be filling out the cast and background. At least it ain't the Death Star info dump of some other series this season. I'm liking the cast so far as they appear not to be your typical grouping of archetypes. Nothing feels rushed or too slow with this show so I like how its progressing. Its still holding my attention and curiosity which is a good thing as I've already dropped 3 shows this season and 3 others are borderline.
4750G

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:28 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
Its still holding my attention and curiosity which is a good thing as I've already dropped 3 shows this season and 3 others are borderline.

Wow, I actually added to my list. Well it wasn't really that long in the first place so that's probably why.

Ben-to is one of the shows that wasn't on my original list but I thought it wouldn't hurt to watch one episode. It hooked me. It's still going strong after three episodes, no major slip ups like horribly cliched scenes or something like that. Even though I find it absurd to physically hurt each other for half priced ben-to, I can't say I don't understand them because I've had my share of hungry nights with no food to eat. What I'm liking the most so far is the 'color' they've put into the characters - they're not simply hungry people with no change to spare, they're compared to animals that follow their basic instincts.

What I want to know now is Satou's relationship to the girl I only known as The Beauty By The Lake (according to the opening theme). She was the girl in Satou's video game flash back, wasn't she? I wonder when she'll be introduced.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:32 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

I like Shaga. I could've lived without the Tina Foster-esque groping, but I still like Shaga and still love this show. She apparently has (or had) feelings for You when they were little and she missed him, and I assume that's why she came to visit randomly. Although, I think this episode just supplanted Sen as my favorite female character in a long time. Between her diagnosis of Shaga and the advice she gave You, she showed to be someone who really cares about others and their feelings. The way she reads makes me want to hug her brains out too Embarassed

Oh, and Ume isn't just batshit crazy. She's batshit crazy and really, really scary.

LET'S GO FUNIMATION!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:54 am Reply with quote
I like how the Beauty by the Lake (where is this Lake, by the way?) got her very own spoiler[OP.] And finding out that she's spoiler[half-Italian] certainly explains her blonde hair! Laughing We also finally know why Oshiroi is The Muscle Cop. I hope Shiraume eventually joins in a bento battle - I wonder who would win between her and The Ice Witch...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:02 am Reply with quote
Shaga certainly is fun, I was particulary fond of her cliche "tell me" line, kind of reminded me of how Touwa Meme screwed with her nephew in Denpa. Cool that she got her own op.

Anyway, are we meant to belive that there is spoiler[like some sort of group that is so dedicated to getting half price bentos, that have amazing survelance equipment, and computers. Not that I care, makes it even more enjoyable at how out of control it can get.]

Oh and Shiraume, she can be a bit twisted, with what Shaga got it is no wonder some of the things wrong with Oshiroi, was some delicious fan service though. But on the novel she is writing, that is why Oshiroi is my favorite.
4750G

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:28 am Reply with quote
Yarizui is super cool. She's so committed to her goals but is sensitive to her surroundings. I smiled when she told Satou to spoiler[eat with Shaga instead of with her after Shaga's defeat]. I really like her; why is she an Ice Witch again?
yamata no orochi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:16 pm Reply with quote
This show is weird. I should probably dislike it because of the ridiculous fan-service, the bland harem lead and the silliness of the whole premise. But then the show has to pull out an awesome musical cue or chopstick kung-fu or a remarkably quiet moment and suddenly I'm drawn back in all over again.

On another note, I liked Shaga quite a bit this episode, although the sudden upswing in fanservice was a bit much. I did like, though, how the episode set her up as the centerpiece of the show--with her own OP and everything!--and then spoiler[totally pulled the rug out from under her when the Ice Witch kicked her ass.]

Still not a fan of Ume, though.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah I forgot to mention how good that music was with that fight scene. I think really should try to pay attention to these little bits instead of just mindlessly being entertained.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:05 am Reply with quote
This week has been very disappointing. It is now clear that Fate/Zero has an amateur/lazy director (I can't believe I am saying this but Fate/Stay Night has way better flow) while Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai and Ben-to continue to go into awkward & creepy direction (little sister nun in BokuTomo is simply unnecessary; then there is a girl raving about rape who *suddenly* wants to be sex friends in one episode to forget all about it in the other? Thats some crappy writing right there in addition to not being in the least funny. *sign*).

Episodes 4 & 5 of Ben-to are pretty good overall. I really like Shaga, especially her longing "how did we end up in a friend zone" at the end of ep 4, and this episodes' spoiler[Sato's 'adulthood' delusions... but then some random guy tried to shove a huge D battery up his ass... and I also really did not like how his female companions were watching him being pummelled without doing anything. When it was clearly a beating and not a battle... no one moved a muscle.]
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:56 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

Quote:
spoiler[and I also really did not like how his female companions were watching him being pummelled without doing anything. When it was clearly a beating and not a battle... no one moved a muscle.]

Everyone seemed pretty intimidated by Monarch, if you ask me. When you factor in how big of a badass he apparently is, the dozen guard dogs he had, and that it is his turf, they probably couldn't do much of anything even if they wanted to.

Do I wish they would've done more? Yes, but I don't think this is as egregious as some of the moments in shows like DBZ where they stand there with the fate of the world on the line. I would most likely feel the same as you if I ever felt Satou's life was in danger, but it wasn't, and I'm sure they knew that as well. And Sen did step in, but Monarch decided to throw in one last punch anyways.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10