• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Back to the Future

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Divineking

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:24 am Reply with quote
Umm...there has been some blood in the new HxH. In episode 2 when Gon and the others went into that shack and met the wolf things, the guy lying on the floor in the room was pretty clearly bleeding from his wounds.

The violence level will probably amp up over time. I heard the old anime didn;t have blood in the beginning either.

And about Persona 4. The game had long since explained it by this point (and it should be sort of obvious even without the explination) but only people with the power of personas can enter the TV's on their own.

Last edited by Divineking on Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:27 am Reply with quote
Any word on what show has the best comments on Niconico? Something tells me it's probably Guilty Crown, but I haven't been keeping up with the other shows. The only one I'm going to watch because of it's quality is Mirai Nikki, but the other two might be worth a watch if the comments are on par with UtaPri.
Nayu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:36 am Reply with quote
Wow, your symbols make no sense.

What does a circle with a line through it mean? What does the up arrow mean? The down arrow? The X is easy, but the others don't seem to serve any purpose other than to make one wonder what they mean.

Maybe a key would help. Or just use words instead of symbols to more clearly share whatever those symbols are trying to share.

For example, you gush about how awesome you think Fate/Zero is then give it a down arrow. Did you just feel bad about having nothing but positive things to say and wanted to try to balance it out with a negative looking symbol? Seriously confused here.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:36 am Reply with quote
I'm kinda surprised episode 5 of Un-Go didn't impress Bamboo more... I definitely felt like it was a step up from the previous stuff as far as delving into the obviously corrupt post-war society they're all living in. I'd be very surprised (and just as disappointed as Bamboo) if that didn't wind up being the primary focus in the series' later half.
YoshiYoshi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:38 am Reply with quote
To put your gripe of Phi Brain not giving the answers to some of their puzzles to rest, the Japanese broadcast is actually followed by a mini program where some pretty boy guest stars are asked to solve the puzzles featured in the episodes. So this is just a case of everyone else who isn't watching the local broadcast losing out.
blackseer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:58 am Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:

What does a circle with a line through it mean? What does the up arrow mean? The down arrow? The X is easy, but the others don't seem to serve any purpose other than to make one wonder what they mean.

Maybe a key would help. Or just use words instead of symbols to more clearly share whatever those symbols are trying to share.

For example, you gush about how awesome you think Fate/Zero is then give it a down arrow. Did you just feel bad about having nothing but positive things to say and wanted to try to balance it out with a negative looking symbol? Seriously confused here.

I believe the symbols represent how this batch of episodes do compared to the last ones. Did it o better, worse, or is stable? The circle with a line means stable, in this case.

Fate/Zero recieves a red arrow because, even though the episodes are still great, it's a little below the ones from the last column (which I don't agree; I think they're in the same level).

The only problem I see is that Un-Go and Majikoi have stable grades in the chart at the top of the column but red arrows in their comments.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:59 am Reply with quote
I just finished the Future Diary manga and I have to agree with Bamboo. It's pretty much a series with no concept of logical story progression or character actions, and yet it's so damn entertaining. It's like watching a very entertaining train wreck.

Last edited by Shenl742 on Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:03 am Reply with quote
blackseer wrote:
Fate/Zero recieves a red arrow because, even though the episodes are still great, it's a little below the ones from the last column (which I don't agree; I think they're in the same level).

The arrows are in relation to their position on the chart. It's not that eps 5-6 of F/Z are weaker than 1-4, it's just that Mirai Nikki bumped it down a spot on the list. Speaking of which, Mirai Nikki sounds completely unappealing to me. To have everything answered by 'Deus Ex Machina' is something I would hate. I'm sure for those who don't mind such will enjoy it though.

Last edited by Megiddo on Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Nayu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:04 am Reply with quote
blackseer wrote:
Nayu wrote:

I believe the symbols represent how this batch of episodes do compared to the last ones. Did it o better, worse, or is stable? The circle with a line means stable, in this case.

The only problem I see is that Un-Go and Majikoi have stable grades in the chart at the top of the column but red arrows in their comments.

Yes, you believe this to be true. But there's no chart stating this, no indication that this is how these symbols work. If I arrived here from Mars and wanted to know which streaming video would be a good one to watch, do these symbols give me (in my Martian english reading eliteness) any indication of what they mean? Not really, we have to infer (or in some cases just straight out guess) what they mean. Symbols should be there for clarification of the text, not to add new, unnecessary confusion.

Megiddo wrote:
blackseer wrote:

The arrows are in relation to their position on the chart. It's not that eps 5-6 of F/Z are weaker than 1-4, it's just that Mirai Nikki bumped it down a spot on the list. Speaking of which, Mirai Nikki sounds completely unappealing to me. To have everything answered by 'Deus Ex Machina' is something I would hate. I'm sure for those who don't mind such will enjoy it though.

Wait, that list up top isn't just a navigational aid? (Of course, why did the last article have arrows and such then since there was no movement in the table of contents for that article since it was a fresh column.)

Last edited by Nayu on Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:08 am Reply with quote
Bamboo wrote:
See those arrows on the side of the page and below each title? They don't mean too much this week, since it's the first column, but over the weeks, you'll see those change. They simply represent the movement of titles in the list. If a title moves up in the rankings, it'll get a green arrow. If it moves down (even if it's just from first to second), it'll get a down arrow. Since this week every title made the list for the first time, they all get an up—except two titles. One of them gets a big red “down” because it really fouled my first impression from the Fall Preview, and the other one… well, that one gets a big, fat X. Because time is money, and that title just isn't bringing home the bacon.

Taken from the first instance of The Stream.
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:10 am Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:
Yes, you believe this to be true. But there's no chart stating this, no indication that this is how these symbols work. If I arrived here from Mars and wanted to know which streaming video would be a good one to watch, do these symbols give me (in my Martian english reading eliteness) any indication of what they mean? Not really, we have to infer (or in some cases just straight out guess) what they mean. Symbols should be there for clarification of the text, not to add new, unnecessary confusion.
She explained what the symbols would mean in the first column. So, I guess if you're an alien who reads season updates without looking at the first part of the season for context, it could be confusing.
Nayu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:13 am Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
Nayu wrote:
She explained what the symbols would mean in the first column. So, I guess if you're an alien who reads season updates without looking at the first part of the season for context, it could be confusing.

Maybe a recap would have helped my alien self figure out what they meant. Razz

Its been a while since I read the first column (and honestly don't remember that at all), having a key would be helpful.
Taiyz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:25 am Reply with quote
I found the symbols' purpose to be rather obvious, personally, and this was my first time reading the column. Just my perspective.

In regards to Phi Brain,
Quote:
I almost stopped watching a few episodes in because I hated every single character except for Kaito and his gal pal Nonoha. But, be it through character development or Stockholm Syndrome, I eventually grew to love even the most obnoxious of them, and then I was hooked. Even boisterous Gammon, the frenemy who was always getting in the way, became delightful to watch
Actually this is the same process that I went through, exactly. It makes me wonder if this phenomenon is common amongst the show's viewers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
blackseer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:42 am Reply with quote
If the arrows only mean position movement, shouldn't nearly all the series receive red arrows, since Mirai Nikki and Phi Brain stole position from most of them?

Guilty Crown lost one position and HunterxHunter kept its 4th, but only the two new ones should've received green arrows.
garfield15

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:58 am Reply with quote
That episode of Persona 4 is not filler. They're parts of the game and adapted quite well. You can tell that from when Margaret opens that book of hers and you see Kou and Ai in the book. Making links with other people is literally a complete 50% of what Persona is about. And yes, you're right. The show does feel like a video game because it is being completely (as much as it can anyway) faithful to the game itself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5