• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: ICE DVD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:02 am Reply with quote
Christopher Patton in a female part? Why I am so aroused confused?

But seriously, this Anime sounds bad. Really bad. I'd never even heard of it before, and now I definitely have no desire to watch it.
Northlander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:04 am Reply with quote
You people are too kind. FAR too kind. I was hoping for more of a Hidan no Aria level takedown of this one.

Quote:
Chris Patton doing his best to sound huskily effeminate as Julia. He actually doesn't do a bad job, but the sheer bizarreness of it can be off-putting.

Actually, this sounds hilarious. Probably not enough to save this gargantuan goddamned trainwreck of an OAV, but it might've eased my pain, at least.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:11 am Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
You people are too kind. FAR too kind. I was hoping for more of a Hidan no Aria level takedown of this one.

Theron is ANN's more generous grade-giver. I generally make a mental subtraction of a few points from his grade scores. Or I just read the review closely and ignore the grades. As he says, this has nice music and.... nothing else.

Quote:
Early present-time scenes look like hold-overs from a 25+ year old series, complete with technical merits dating back to that time, while production values for the future series vary widely.

The first time I watched this in (awful) fansubs, I thought it was some decade-old OVA that somebody dug up. It's... a really bad series. It's not even memorably awful, just so very not good. I don't know why it was licensed; I hope it was part of some package deal that will get us a better anime along with it.

Might also note that the casting of a man as Julia is intended to reflect that Akira Ishida played her in the Japanese. I am not familiar enough with Chris Patton to know whether he could pull this off, but Ishida has played female or effeminate roles in the past and he does a passable (though not stellar) job in Ice. Overall the Japanese voice acting is quite lousy (stop stunt-casting pop stars!), and I can't imagine that the English dub could be anything other than an improvement. And yes, I'm saying that as someone who almost never watches dubs.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:12 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

Might also note that the casting of a man as Julia is intended to reflect that Akira Ishida played her in the Japanese. I am not familiar enough with Chris Patton to know whether he could pull this off,

Hey, if Dr. Girlfriend could pull it off............. Laughing
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Just curious, are there any fans of this show?
Northlander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:34 pm Reply with quote
There is actually more green than red on ANN's encyclopedia page on ICE, so I'd say so.
gwdone

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I had seen the trailer for ICE somewhere and had it on my "to buy"list.
Then it came out. Then I purchased it. Then I watched it. Now I'm not so pleased with my purchase.
Unfortunately the trailer only showed the fairly cool looking background scenes and the CG which did get my attention. It was a bad purchase in tough times, but I'll deal with my mistake.

If anyone has the heads up on any of these titles, I would appreciate any insight I can get. These trailers also caught my eye and I'm thinking about purchasing**. Thanks!

Clover
Malice@doll
no.6
Hoshizora Kiseki (Starry-Sky Miracle)
Pale Cocoon

**Get the balance of "When Thy Cry" and I'll be the first in line for purchase -_-
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
There is actually more green than red on ANN's encyclopedia page on ICE, so I'd say so.

The same can be said for Angel Cop. They were always be a few people who give every anime they watch a high score. I don't know why, but it's always the case.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:15 pm Reply with quote
gwdone wrote:
Then it came out. Then I purchased it. Then I watched it. Now I'm not so pleased with my purchase.
Unfortunately the trailer only showed the fairly cool looking background scenes and the CG which did get my attention. It was a bad purchase in tough times, but I'll deal with my mistake.

If anyone has the heads up on any of these titles, I would appreciate any insight I can get. These trailers also caught my eye and I'm thinking about purchasing**. Thanks!

Clover
Malice@doll
no.6
Pale Cocoon

**Get the balance of "When Thy Cry" and I'll be the first in line for purchase -_-

When you say Clover are you referring to the 7 minute short film based on the manga of the same name by CLAMP? Because I'm afraid that hasn't seen been licensed by any English company as of now (as far as I know though I'd be happy to be told I'm incorrect).
No. 6 was one of my favorite anime of the summer and I'd highly recommend it!
Hoshizora Kiseki felt a tad rushed and the ending was somewhat... lacking but I thought it was an enjoyable, quirky little piece (note: it's only 30 minutes in length)
Pale Cocoon (which is slightly under 30 minutes in length) was something I found to be quite beautiful and another title I'd recommend.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Some series fail because of a lack of anything fresh to work with; others fail because of deficiencies in execution. ICE squarely falls into the latter category. It does have some good ideas but does not successfully do enough with them, and is not sexy enough in the way it does them, to be entertaining as anything more than a curiosity.

I hadn't intended on buying this title, but saw it fresh on the shelf of new arrivals. And what was it that tipped me into buying it? Curiosity. I've only watched the first of the three episodes, but I'm not expecting anything better than what I've already seen. I'll withhold final judgment until I've watched the rest of it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:09 am Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:

ANN's encyclopedia grades are worse than any college grading curve: everybody gets A's and B's. Laughing

(But that's why you look at the rankings instead of the grades.)

gwdone wrote:

Malice@doll

We have that somewhere since forever. We still haven't seen it yet.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:15 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Northlander wrote:

ANN's encyclopedia grades are worse than any college grading curve: everybody gets A's and B's. Laughing

They're like the grades at a college where the students got to grade themselves; most of the time everyone's nice unless there's some real jackass they want to gang up on, and their personal friends get an A regardless of whether they did any work.

Quote:
(But that's why you look at the rankings instead of the grades.)

You mean the ones that currently feature Clannad Deus Ex Machi-- er, After Story as #1? Replacing a previous Death Note (now no longer listed)? Where seven of the ten shows Best Shows are within the last 3 years? With not a single show older than 1998's Cowboy Bebop? Yeah, the rankings are just "what's super popular right now and has an ardent fanbase."
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:34 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
gwdone wrote:

Malice@doll

We have that somewhere since forever. We still haven't seen it yet.

I fell asleep watching it. Twice. Still haven't seen all of it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:17 pm Reply with quote
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:
gwdone wrote:

Clover

When you say Clover are you referring to the 7 minute short film based on the manga of the same name by CLAMP? Because I'm afraid that hasn't seen been licensed by any English company as of now (as far as I know though I'd be happy to be told I'm incorrect).

It hasn't been licensed in America, however, if you really want it, import it from here: http://www.amazon.co.jp/CLOVER-DVD-高坂希太郎/dp/B000N0WBFO

Unless, you're referring to Honey and Clover then go to Rightstuf.com.

Sentai made a bad choice licensing this but luckily (for me) they have No.6!!!
gwdone

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:23 pm Reply with quote
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:
gwdone wrote:

Clover
Malice@doll
no.6
Pale Cocoon

No. 6 was one of my favorite anime of the summer and I'd highly recommend it!
Hoshizora Kiseki felt a tad rushed and the ending was somewhat... lacking but I thought it was an enjoyable, quirky little piece (note: it's only 30 minutes in length)
Pale Cocoon (which is slightly under 30 minutes in length) was something I found to be quite beautiful and another title I'd recommend.

Thanks so much for the insight!! Do you know of a good place to purchase "no.6" ? I've tried all of my sources and am coming up dry.

Pale Cocoon is on Crunchy, but I like the artwork so much I want to own a crisp, clean, commercial & buffer free version. "ta have...see"

I wasn't aware Clover was so short. All I have ever seen was a trailer. I can remember a girl with some wild looking metal type wings and it really grabbed me.

Maybe it's the length of Pale and Cover that keeps them from being released in the states. That's just a guess.

Thanks again for the information!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2