• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Journalist: K-ON! Film Earns 316 Million Yen in 2 Days

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
machetecat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:27 am Reply with quote
To be fair, if Eva and Haruhi sold $900 tickets that came with toasters and hugging merch, they'd have made over $5mil opening weekend too!

Is there a way to find out how many people actually bought the $900 worth of tickets to get all the merch? I can't help but feel this is more of an over-enthusiastc fandom thing than it is THAT MANY people bought tickets.
Kouta6769

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:25 am Reply with quote
Dam if I had the money, would definitely been at the midnight showing!
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:45 am Reply with quote
Maybe TinTin needed more moe. Rolling Eyes
yu3lora

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:54 am Reply with quote
Way to go! Smile Wish I was their to watch the anime.. All well, I think theirs more blessing to come for them.^^
reanimator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:39 am Reply with quote
machetecat wrote:
To be fair, if Eva and Haruhi sold $900 tickets that came with toasters and hugging merch, they'd have made over $5mil opening weekend too!

Is there a way to find out how many people actually bought the $900 worth of tickets to get all the merch? I can't help but feel this is more of an over-enthusiastc fandom thing than it is THAT MANY people bought tickets.

You maybe right. Japanese used to be honest about how many people watched a movie instead of how much they made. It's like Hollywood box office. Ticket price has gone up to give illusion that they're successful even though number of movie-going audience has not change.

I wonder if K-On's audience is a mix of mainstream and otaku or Otaku-only...
Key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:19 am Reply with quote
Also, to be fair, the K-ON! movie debuted on more than 60% more screens than Eva 1.0 did. The latter actually was about $100 higher on average per-screen earnings.

Still, to put it in perspective, those per-screen averages I'm talking about (a bit under $30k in each case) are in line with top-end Hollywood blockbusters in the U.S., so they're nothing to sneeze at.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kutsu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
K-ON! The Movie opened with a highly impressive 237,817 admissions for ¥316,310,450 ($4.1 million) on only 137 screens.

http://www.worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65263&start=25
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:45 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:

Well, it ain't Detective Conan or One Piece, so........... Should there even be doubt? Laughing
Jarm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:09 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
reanimator wrote:

Well, it ain't Detective Conan or One Piece, so........... Should there even be doubt? Laughing

It's airing on Disney Channel Japan so it must getting a lot more exposure than most night late anime. Which makes sense since it's an anime that you could show small children and teenage girls despite the large otaku fanbase.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Wow but how much of that cash was from special tickets
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Kutsu wrote:
Quote:
K-ON! The Movie opened with a highly impressive 237,817 admissions for ¥316,310,450 ($4.1 million) on only 137 screens.

http://www.worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65263&start=25

So they averaged about 1300 yen per ticket, which is fairly average for a ticket in Japan.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Impressive box office opening for certain. Though 2.0 did beat it by quite a bit despite showing on less screens. Still though, when it takes an absolutely box office (and home video) smash like Rebuild of Evangelion to top the box office open, you know K-ON is still highly in demand.

I'm pretty sure these numbers are just for the movie tickets themselves. So it doesn't include all those specific store tie-in product sales.
Imalmostgone

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad its doing well, I can't wait to get it here in North America Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:22 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Wow but how much of that cash was from special tickets

they don;t count those. nobody know how much cash they make. Normally, they just do the tickets sold X ticket price. That's how it works for all the movies even in US.
Cynim

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:12 am Reply with quote
Quite an achievement !
Although, concerning The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, it opened on only 24 screens, at the time (6th Feb 2010). You can check that on ANN news archives.

Also, on a completely side note, having seen The Adventures of Tintin, I am able to tell you American fellows that it's an excellent Spielberg movie, and I hope it'll make you want to read the original "bande dessinée" (comic strip) by Belgian artist Hergé.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2