• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dragon Ball Z Blu-Ray 1

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:32 am Reply with quote
Cue Penguintruth stating that how dare Carl choose the dub over the sub. Seriously, I can set my watch by that guy. (I kid, I kid.)

On a more serious note, I don't doubt that this well sell very, very well, but it seems freaking pointless. I can happily watch DBZ on YouTube at 240p (which is pretty much what it was drawn at, quality-wise). Therefore I have absolutely no need to buy Yet Another DBZ Release. If I want to buy 290+ episodes of Blu-Rays I'll freaking go out and buy ten other series instead of this. Now don't get me wrong, I love this show to bits, but I don't need to spend any more money on it, nosiree.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:34 am Reply with quote
Pretty good review. You brought up some good points about this release. I plan on picking these up eventually as soon as I own a Blu-Ray player (I've been taking my time upgrading because I don't feel the format is revolutionary enough to justify a sudden switch, but I'll upgrade sometime in the near future). I'm just glad these are in full frame with nice colors and no over-the-top noise reduction. I didn't MIND the season sets (I still own and watch mine), but the flaws in the earlier sets are still a nuisance. I'm glad these include all three audio tracks. I mostly watch the series in English with the Japanese score, but I watch it with the American score every once in a while for nostalgia (well, once it hits Faulconer that is. I don't think I've ever watched the first 67 episodes all the way through with Nathan Johnson's score). I agree that Kikkuichi's score fits better with the earlier episodes, especially since Gohan's adventures have almost the same feeling as Goku's in Dragon Ball (where the score was at it's peak).
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It also has Sean Schemmel's Goku, who clearly outclasses Masako Nozawa's.

Maybe if you ignore the concept of the character. As well as Nozawa's brilliant delivery.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:49 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Cue Penguintruth stating that how dare Carl choose the dub over the sub. Seriously, I can set my watch by that guy. (I kid, I kid.)

penguintruth wrote:
Quote:

Maybe if you ignore the concept of the character. As well as Nozawa's brilliant delivery.

"You rang?"
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:52 am Reply with quote
Holy moley, he actually went there it. I was only half expecting him to say something.

Blimey.

Shay Guy wrote:
"You rang?"

LOL. Oh that's funny.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:57 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry, but it's hard to ignore a reviewer admitting that the dub is unfaithful but then going on about how good it is. Clearly I have different standards than the reviewer. When a dub is inaccurate, I tend to call it a bad one. And to say something like "CLEARLY Sean Schemmel outclasses Masako Nozawa" with no further explanation as to why, it comes off as inflammatory.

I understand why a lot of people have a problem with Nozawa's Goku. I personally find that her delivery is charming. But Schemmel's Z work is atrocious. He didn't begin to reach even tolerable levels until Kai.

Not to mention that the Japanese cast has a slew of other great talent. Toshio Furukawa, Tohru Furuya, and the late Hirotaka Suzuoki, just to name a few. Most of them utterly obliterate their English dub counterparts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:04 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Clearly I have different standards than the reviewer. When a dub is inaccurate, I tend to call it a bad one.

Not going to even get into the DBZ dub versus sub debate, but this general comment leapt out at me. FUNimation has often played fast and loose with their dubs, often to pretty good effect. I'm not saying their dubs are better than the Japanese more often than not, but I am saying that they do hold their own. And remember, I'm speaking generally here, I'm not referring to DBZ (either for or against).

I'm too lazy to give examples, but it is the impression I've gotten and the opinion I've formed from my (admittedly few) years as a fan watching Anime and reading reviews.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:08 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Shay Guy wrote:
"You rang?"

LOL. Oh that's funny.

All credit goes to Ted Cassidy. Very Happy

penguintruth wrote:
When a dub is inaccurate, I tend to call it a bad one.

I have to wonder if theater fans have these arguments, when one part may be performed by hundreds of different actors over time and often NO information about the first performance's treatment is available.

On another note, I was surprised to look just now and find that the first 22 episodes of DBZ Abridged cover 71 episodes of the original series, despite their being... what, half as long? At most? That's a 3.2 to 1 ratio -- I dunno what the one for YGO Abridged is, but it has to be less than that.
population_tire

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:59 am Reply with quote
What's next? Dragon Box blu-ray?
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:04 am Reply with quote
I have roughly one-fourth of the series on VHS, I own practically all of the gold bricks, AND I have the Dragon Box. I see no further reason for me to continue shelling out money to purchase something I already have, and have seen literally dozens of times on T.V.

Kai is a different story(literally). Laughing

Quote:
Clearly I have different standards than the reviewer. When a dub is inaccurate, I tend to call it a bad one.

That means, hypothetically, if the original Japanese script of an anime was poorly-written, and the characters had extremely corny and simplistic lines, and the English script improved upon the dialogue, it's "bad" by default; because it's inaccurate? I don't even know if I can agree with that assessment of what a quality *dub* is; it's more about the acting, the delivery of emotion, the tone of voice, etc.

You did say you have different standards, though.

EDIT:
Quote:
I personally find that her delivery is charming. But Schemmel's Z work is atrocious.

Well, at least Schemmel made Goku sound like he belonged to his actual gender. Wink
Kicksville

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:41 am Reply with quote
I used to prefer Schemmel over Nozawa by default, just because Goku sounded uh weird compared to what I was expecting in Japanese - it wasn't until after watching some Vifam, where she voices military-obsessed little upstart Kents, that I started to appreciate how great she is as an actress. I haven't seen all of DBZ subbed or anything, but she's the primary reason why I watch it in Japanese on occasion at all (I typically go for the dub).

Schemmel is also good! Much like most of the Funimation cast, it took some time after the initial Namek episodes until he really came into the character, but he does seem to get Goku's boyish nature (especially noticable in the Buu saga at parts).

Of course, I guess they're going to be using the complete Funimation dub as it already exists for this, meaning this part of the dub taken from the early episode remasters has everyone comfortably fitting into their roles and then suddenly it'll get hilarious when it's time to fight Captain Ginyu? I wonder how many people, unfamiliar with that whole situation, will be totally baffled when they get to that part...
redranger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:04 am Reply with quote
How many times are people gonna buy this shit? What's next, the super remastered dragonbox blu rays, perhaps?
Ringworm128

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:15 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Quote:

This. While I think Sean Schemmel is a excellent Goku to say he outclasses Masako Nozawa is just silly.
Craddle15

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:57 am Reply with quote
Worst review I've ever read. First off, all the reviewer does is complain for 5 paragraphs. Then when it comes to grading the actual release, he bases the fact that it's been released prior to this as a con...How the hell are you gonna base your rating for this release on other releases? Isn't this review for Dragon Ball Z Level 1.1? Guess not...

Sad that ANN allows terrible reviews like this. It's no wonder 90% of the anime community does not take ANN reviews seriously.
Gasero

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:24 am Reply with quote
People actually debate over whether the DBZ dub is better than the original Japanese? I don't understand why anyone would want to listen to a bunch of burly men with the highest pitched voices imaginable. I remember when I bought a Japanese copy of one of the DBZ games for Playstation. When I heard their original voices for the first time I was very confused.

I would also argue that a dub that is not translated 1:1 is not automatically bad. There are different language standards for different regions and also different social standards when it comes to conversation. The only thing I don't like is when a dub removes culture from an anime. Changing rice balls to donuts and whatnot...that's not cool.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4