• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: MTV's Top Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dejiko

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Director Shinji Aramaki's film combines traditional hand-drawn animation with cutting-edge computer technology in a process called "cel-shading."

If the author had watched the movie, he'd have known there's no hand drawn animation in this version of Appleseed, only cel-shaded, motion captured characters on full CG backgrounds.

Oh, and since when is cel-shading a 'cutting-edge computer technology? Games on run-of-the-mill home consoles have been using it for at least three years already... Rolling Eyes
sokpupet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:30 am Reply with quote
Just like with my music, I want MTV nowhere near my anime.

It's like men's magazines reviewing games. Do I need to keep going?
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:42 am Reply with quote
Dejiko wrote:
Games on run-of-the-mill home consoles have been using it for at least three years already... Rolling Eyes

At least 5 actually. I believe the first game to be done entirely in cel shaded graphics was Sega's 2000 release Jet Grind Radio (or Jet Set Radio in Japan) for the Dreamcast.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:01 am Reply with quote
sokpupet wrote:

Car Magazines reviewing Games.
trlman99

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:28 pm Reply with quote
God I hate MTV.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Meh... I wish they had balanced out some of the more turgid and dreary or violent choices on the list a bit with some straightforward fun "fluff" like Project A-ko or one of the middle-era Miyazaki films, by which I mean mainly Kiki's Delivery Service or My Neighbour Totoro. Or my absolute favourite anime film, Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer, but that's just a pipedream that that one will ever get any serious recognition.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joe Arizona

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:37 pm Reply with quote
trlman99 wrote:
God I hate MTV.

When I catch a glimpse of MTV now and then, I know it no longer belongs to me. However, I must give MTV credit for playing Speed Racer back in the 90's. Along with Beavis and Butthead of course.
ampersand

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Love your icon, Dejiko!

As for this list, once again it seems like the rest of Western culture is trying to play catch-up and inform the generally ignorant public. Hey, I'm all for any publicity that's good publicity, but things like this should only be considered good for one thing: noobs.
Ataru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Joe Arizona wrote:
trlman99 wrote:
God I hate MTV.

When I catch a glimpse of MTV now and then, I know it no longer belongs to me. However, I must give MTV credit for playing Speed Racer back in the 90's. Along with Beavis and Butthead of course.

Yeah, I catch Beavies and Butthead and Celebrity Deathmatch on MTV 2. Other then that, Fuse is were I get my music news and videos. Besides, Stuff does a dencet enough job of game reviews. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:50 am Reply with quote
ampersand wrote:
Love your icon, Dejiko!

As for this list, once again it seems like the rest of Western culture is trying to play catch-up and inform the generally ignorant public. Hey, I'm all for any publicity that's good publicity, but things like this should only be considered good for one thing: noobs.

Given the list they made, do you seriously think that it's "good" enough to the ADD-rattled MTV Viewer about Anime?

To me, it looks like a list of movies that any one of us could fish out as iconic Anime regardless of opinion (i.e. "Philosophical" a/or "Makes you think" Anime). Add a few oddballs (Applesed, Be Forever Yamato), write a synposis even a Real World-Road Rules viewer can fathom, and you have this.

I mean, where is comedy representation like FLCL or Excel Saga?

Mecha like Gundams, Patlabor, or Big O?

Mindless fanservice like Tenjo Tenge or Cutey Honey?

Girls Kickin' Ass like Bubblegum Crisis or Noir?

It's a good list, but then again, it's trying to appeal to mindless nimrods who think Punk'd and Viva La Bam are "quality" shows for a MUSIC CHANNEL!!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:36 am Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
ampersand wrote:
Love your icon, Dejiko!

Given the list they made, do you seriously think that it's "good" enough to the ADD-rattled MTV Viewer about Anime?

To me, it looks like a list of movies that any one of us could fish out as iconic Anime regardless of opinion (i.e. "Philosophical" a/or "Makes you think" Anime). Add a few oddballs (Applesed, Be Forever Yamato), write a synposis even a Real World-Road Rules viewer can fathom, and you have this.

It's a good list, but then again, it's trying to appeal to mindless nimrods who think Punk'd and Viva La Bam are "quality" shows for a MUSIC CHANNEL!!
One know's when one is getting old when MTV no longer appeals. It stopped appealing to me back in 1985. Now it's just a teenage landfill. Wink
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:

That's why I always lobby hard for the inclusion of Project A-ko on these lists: you get ALL that in ONE movie! Wink

Yeah, I know the mecha in Project A-ko would not be "enough" to appease the purists who want a serious mecha film on the list.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChichiriMuyo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Let's be honest, for MTV this is a fairly decent list. We'd have all made it different, but then anybody who was new to anime wouldn't appreciate it. This isn't a list for us, it's for the people who have only watched a couple anime. The lack of GitS on that list is surprising to me, though. I didn't like the movie, but it has always been highly acclaimed and is a classic introductary anime. Used to be when you'd get a newb into anime you'd tell them "Akira, Ghost in the Shell and Ninja Scroll" and see what happens from there. But anyway, for it being an MTV thing it's not all that bad.
sokpupet

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:00 am Reply with quote
and to cut mtv a 'little' slack, they were talking about anime movies and not just anime in general. but still...no.
discarnate_cyn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:36 pm Reply with quote
sokpupet wrote:

I agree with you 100%.
MTV makes me ill to watch now.
I'm completly dating myself here - but I remember when it was almost all about music - with the exceptions of shows like 'Remote Control'.
Where in the hell do they get off making a Top Anime list?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2