• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S. TV's Nicktoons to Run Dragon Ball GT in January

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:18 am Reply with quote
This isn't surprising since their website has had a section set up for GT for a while now. However, I think it's foolish since Dragon Ball Z Kai only goes up to the Cell Games Saga. Since the Buu arc is important for explaining some of the events in GT, it really makes no sense to skip it (yes, the Buu arc was very much in the manga, I can't believe I've had to explain that to some people). But Nicktoons has already shown DBZ movies that take place around the Buu arc, so it's very clear that they don't care about story consistency at all. I was hoping they'd run the Buu arc of DBZ just so the viewers wouldn't get confused.

I wonder if they'll run all 64 episodes, or if they'll run the "A Grand Problem" composition episode in place of the first 15 episodes like Toonami initially did.

All in all, this gets me hoping for more anime on the network (though I'd prefer it to be on regular Nick).
peachsncreamsoda

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:56 am Reply with quote
I knew they would.

The second I heard their tv ratings/viewings had gone up, I thought to myself... "Watch them go and air the DBZ, or rather the rest of DBZ that was kept out of 'Kai'...". I just knew they would.

But... what I didn't guess was that they'd do GT. For starters, like whats already been said, why in the world would you skip all the way over to GT? No one would know what the hell was going on. And, if i'm not mistaken though I probably am, didn't GT get sucky ratings when it was on CN, and well, basically suck overall? I stopped watching mid way 'cause I just couldn't take sitting through it. Not only are they skipping over a crap load of stuff, but good stuff. And just going straight to something that imo wasn't very good at all let alone comparing to previous arcs I think is ridiculous....
And I rather liked the Buu saga Confused , so hopefully they're trying to get permission/license or whatever to air DBZ. And maybe all they've been able to get was GT and thats why they're going to air it right off the bat?

I suppose hoping one day they'd or someone else would air Dragon Ball is but a distant dream.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:03 am Reply with quote
^Exactly! Like how are they going to explain where the heck Super Saiya-jin 3 came from? Or, for that matter, Uub, Majin Buu, Goten, fusions, etc etc. For kids who discovered the show through "Toonzai" and Nicktoons, this will be utterly confusing(and disappointing, if they have any taste for shonen). The Buu saga was really good up until the multiple Buus began to appear. (Namek is my personal favorite).

The promo? ... Meh, was alright. Toonami's were way more epic.

It's safe the "Goku is small but big at heart and strength" theme in the promo was influenced by this

Yes, my friend, I too hope that the original Dragon ball will one day once again bask in the rays of prime time kids TV. That's my favorite of all three series. Action, adventure, suspense, comedy. Ahh, pure shonen goodness.

Last edited by 504NOSON2 on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jaymie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:35 am Reply with quote
That completely defeats the purpose of airing Kai - a manga faithful recut of Z. But whatever suits them, I guess.
Kaibaman21

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:17 am Reply with quote
This makes no sense,the least Nicktoons could do is show the last seasons of DBZ first sense Kai got cancelled at the end of the cell games...but straight to GT...really!?
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:25 am Reply with quote
I don't get it. They should be airing Dragonball.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:08 am Reply with quote
Well, at the very least, this TV airing will probably be better-handled than the original Cartoon Network airing, i.e. actual episode order (no "lost episodes") and no GT rap because FUNi did a dub version of the original opening for the latest DVD release.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:26 am Reply with quote
I love that commercial. "A BRAND NEW SERIES...that aired seven years ago on another network and is actually older than everyone in our target audience."

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
But Nicktoons has already shown DBZ movies that take place around the Buu arc, so it's very clear that they don't care about story consistency at all.

I don't think it's quite that simple. Nick can't legally show the Buu saga even if they want to. They have the rights to air Dragon Ball Kai, NOT DBZ, and those episodes were never adapted into Kai, a decision that Nick had no control over. I know how silly that is since Kai is just a recut of Z, but legally they are considered two different shows.

Dragon Ball Kai has been a big surprise hit for Nicktoons, so I'm sure they'd love to air the Buu episodes if they could. Why would they oppose airing more episodes of a popular show?

But if they were to do that, they'd have to buy the rights to air all of DBZ from FUNimation, which I'm sure are not cheap. And I doubt it's in their budget to pay for an entire show when they only intend to air 1/4th of the episodes.

Buying GT seems like the most reasonable option given the circumstances.

As for whether or not they'll skip past the first story arc: almost all the clips in the commercial are from episodes that were skipped over and replaced with "A Grand Problem." So I'm guessing Nick is going to air all of them, probably sourced from the complete series DVD release.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:47 am Reply with quote
See, Toei? This is what happens when you don't adapt the Buu arc for Kai.

I hope that at least they'll use the version with the Japanese music, not that awful Mark Menza score.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:24 am Reply with quote
While I'd also prefer they run original DB instead, I'm not sure if that series would pass muster with Nicktoons' standards and practices board (BS&P). They'd probably require more edits than CN did.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:58 am Reply with quote
This is completely stupid. They should be airing the Buu saga first if anything. Not skipping all the way over to GT. The newbies to DBZ will have absolutely no idea who Goten, Videl, Mr.Satan, Buu, or Uub is. The ratings will very likely drop because the kids will be confused! Sigh, Nicktoons why do you fail so hard?
malvarez1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:01 pm Reply with quote
I highly agree with evryone. This is pretty dumb. If they skip the Buu arc, kids won't get whats happening!

Smart move, Nick. Rolling Eyes
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:00 pm Reply with quote
It's kidna ironic that the "suggested videos" in the trailer provides is a link to the first promo for GT on it's Toonami run (Tom 3 era).
baadaku12345

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Fingers crossed for the Akihito Tokunaga BGM.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
But if they were to do that, they'd have to buy the rights to air all of DBZ from FUNimation, which I'm sure are not cheap. And I doubt it's in their budget to pay for an entire show when they only intend to air 1/4th of the episodes.

That's not how broadcast orders work. Broadcast orders come in chunks. 13 episodes, 26 episodes, 52 episodes, etc. Nicktoons wouldn't have to buy all 291 in one go. In fact, they could just buy the broadcast rights for the Boo arch and its filler if they wouldn't mind doing an odd episode count deal (which given Nick's orders for their own productions, they aren't against). They wouldn't need to buy the broadcast rights for episode 1 to eventually get the rights to 291.

penguintruth wrote:
I hope that at least they'll use the version with the Japanese music, not that awful Mark Menza score.

The promo features rap music, do you think it'll have the Japanese score? They'll also likely be using the edited Toonami masters and audio, which would have the Menza track.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2