• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Miyazaki Movies Recommended by British Film Institute

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Demaar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that's a "fantastic" list. Besides Spirited Away and Toy Story I didn't enjoy any of them, and don't know anyone else who did either (especially as a child). Hell, I was "forced" to watch ET at a friend's place, felt like torture.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Super Arrow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I found Show Me Love to be quite interesting, even for non-perverted reasons...though I never saw all of it.
halo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:06 pm Reply with quote
I grew up watching stuff like the Marx Brothers so A Day at the Races made my day.

But am I the only one dissappointed Batteries Not Included didn't make the list?
.Sy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:56 am Reply with quote
I would've guessed an anime might be on the list, but never on the number one spot. Surprised
Nilrem

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Totoro made it into something like #28 in the list Smile

There are some films there I would definately agree with, whilst others would have driven me away from the TV and out into the garden Shocked (I think i've seen 28-30 of them)

Quite a varied list, that's for certain.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Demaar wrote:
Hell, I was "forced" to watch ET at a friend's place, felt like torture.

You have no soul.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:26 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Demaar wrote:
Hell, I was "forced" to watch ET at a friend's place, felt like torture.

You have no soul.

I watched ET when I was in like, 1st grade. It scared the shit out of me. To this day, I have a fear of ET.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Hm, what a varied list, but I do agree with the movie's on the list that I've seen...

...Some Like It Hot. That movie is great. XD
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Proman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:24 am Reply with quote
Demaar wrote:
Wow, that's a "fantastic" list. Besides Spirited Away and Toy Story I didn't enjoy any of them, and don't know anyone else who did either (especially as a child). Hell, I was "forced" to watch ET at a friend's place, felt like torture.

You're kidding! You didn't enjoy any of them Rolling Eyes ? There are plenty of great movies on both lists (and yes, E.T. is a great movie!). I mean how can you not like classics like Singin' in the Rain, Some Like It Hot or Raiders of the Lost Ark? Have you actually seen movies like My Life As a Dog and Bicycle Thieves?
I bet you haven't seen half of the movies listed on the top ten.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:46 am Reply with quote
God bless the BFI, and all who sail on her.
Jolly good show maam! Wink
Cloe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:51 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
I watched ET when I was in like, 1st grade. It scared the shit out of me. To this day, I have a fear of ET.

Ha ha.. my bf is exactly the same way. He saw the Mandarin dub of ET when he was little and said that ET's Chinese voice was the freakiest thing he'd ever heard. He had nightmares about it for ages. He refuses to watch the movie with me now, even though it's one of my favorites.. ^^;

I was very pleasantly surprised by the list. I was expecting a list of children's films, and a lot more animation. Some of the recommendations surprised me to say the least ("The Outsiders" sure came out of nowhere... I think of that as a teen issue film, myself. And Baz Luhrmann's "Romeo and Juliet" was a huge surprise. Although, come to think of it, I'm pretty sure I saw both of those by the time I was 14...) but I was really, really impressed. The more melancholy films like "Bicycle Thieves" (referred to in the US as "The Bicycle Thief") and "My Life as a Dog" have a lot of powerful messages to send children, I think. And "Whale Rider" (which has skyrocketed to my personal top ten film list since I first saw it) is just a perfect lesson in believing in yourself for children--especially girls. I think I'll have to bookmark this page and take a look at some of those films I've been unfortunate enough not to have seen yet.
And I have to say, "The Secret Garden" (the 1993 version) makes me cry to this very day. If I were to add any film to this list, I would say I'm surprised "A Little Princess" (1995, dir Alfonso Cuarón) didn't make the cut. It's fantastic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:37 am Reply with quote
Warning: Do not show My Life As A Dog to a child in the USA unless you enjoy prison. It's a great movie, but...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1