• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Sentai Filmworks Licenses "Familiar of Zero F"

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Justp94

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Season 2 and Season 3 didn't get licensed... but season 4 did.... and then Season 4 isn't going to get Dubbed??? When Senati dubs crappy movies and OVAs???? smfh.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ren-Ren#1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Cool! I'm watching the simulcast on CR and will likely pick up a hard copy when it comes out. Maybe/hopefully Sentai will license the other three as well so we can pick up the ones we're missing (I own S1, but it's out of print now, right?).
Sorrior

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Ren-Ren#1 wrote:
Cool! I'm watching the simulcast on CR and will likely pick up a hard copy when it comes out. Maybe/hopefully Sentai will license the other three as well so we can pick up the ones we're missing (I own S1, but it's out of print now, right?).

Same for owning and yeah i it is as far as i know.

Also come on guys get seasons 2 and 3 already.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:35 pm Reply with quote
so sentai is going to release seasons 1-3 right, or at least 2-3 before releasing this right? because no company in their right mind would just ignore the fact that 2 seasons are not released and season 1 is way out of print and is selling for over $100 right?

I never expected future seasons to be dubbed, season 1 fell hard on it's face in terms of sales. I just hope they actually release every season.
SilverPhantom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:20 pm Reply with quote
This is great and all but I seriously hope they license seasons 2 and 3 as well and maybe repress the first season.
JuicyB

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:17 am Reply with quote
Kinda weird that they're licensing season 4 when s1 is OOp and s2&3 never made it out of J-land...

I borrowed the s1 box set from a friend long ago and enjoyed it for the comedy, but I heard it turned into a full-on harem animu in the next season.
Nayu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:35 am Reply with quote
There's no way I'm buying season 4 without 2 and 3.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Justp94 wrote:
Season 2 and Season 3 didn't get licensed... but season 4 did.... and then Season 4 isn't going to get Dubbed??? When Sentai dubs crappy movies and OVAs???? smfh.
Crappy movies and OVAs are a lot shorter and cheaper to dub. And let's face it, Geneon's last-minute low-budget quasi-fandub of the first season wasn't that much to write home about anyway.

But I guess between this franchise and To Love Ru, skipping intermediate seasons is Sentai's latest strategy.
Ryokosha

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I must be one of the few, but I actually liked the original dub cast and thought they got the voices right for the characters.

To me, the question then becomes how much they are further restricting a potential audience by not dubbing this Season 4, if need be with a different dub cast.

After all, I think many of us agree it is a bit crazy to release Season 4 without releasing Seasons 2 and 3, but then not to dub it and try to bring in more people and new fans... that, in my opinion, is even crazier.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I agree that it is indeed baffling that seasons 2 and 3 do not get picked up while this does. I'm not sure if that was even a good decision business-wise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:33 pm Reply with quote
JuicyB wrote:
Kinda weird that they're licensing season 4 when s1 is OOp and s2&3 never made it out of J-land...

They know anyone whos interested just watched the fansubs of those already.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:14 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
JuicyB wrote:

By the time the 4th season makes it to R1 DVD, the same thing will apply to it, so what's the difference?
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
JuicyB wrote:

By the time the 4th season makes it to R1 DVD, the same thing will apply to it, so what's the difference?

I won't be buying season 4 unless I can buy seasons 2-3, or atleast 2.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:47 am Reply with quote
While I'm happy to see that this is coming here, it's very odd to license the 4th season of a series. I doubt that they can expect people to just pick it up without seeing seasons 2 & 3.

Perhaps they're just announcing this now since the season is just starting and for streaming reasons and they'll announce a set or sets for a re-release of season 1 along with 2 & 3 sometime soon.

As for wanting a dub, does this really need to be brought up? The first one sold too poorly to even bring over the follow up seasons, so just releasing a sub only version is probably risky enough. Most of Sentai's releases are still subbed (at least from what I've seen on TAN) so it's really not that surprising that an unlikely license like this (it could almost be considered a license rescue in a way) wouldn't be given a dub.
Ryokosha

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
(...)
As for wanting a dub, does this really need to be brought up? The first one sold too poorly to even bring over the follow up seasons, so just releasing a sub only version is probably risky enough. Most of Sentai's releases are still subbed (at least from what I've seen on TAN) so it's really not that surprising that an unlikely license like this (it could almost be considered a license rescue in a way) wouldn't be given a dub.
I think we always have to bring up dubs when it comes to the fact few can deny the industry is ailing and not dubbing is without question restricting possible audiences.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2