• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Nisemonogatari (with index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Are you seriously comparing the two? Are you asking to be talked down to? Because that is such a flimsy argument I can't believe you'd consider it. Well, you probably wrote it 5 seconds and by the time I respond to it you'll have rethought it and deleted or rewritten it... because I can't believe I'm bothering I'm responding to "Is that why Sekirei was one of the best selling anime for FUNimation? Because it had some kind of godly art?" [yep- to you credit when I hit the preview I discovered you'd written more than the initial sentence. Unfortunately you didn't delete it...]

Fine. People watch a series for more than one reason. Even Sekerei, for many people the fan service of the show was the main reason to watch the show but only a small amount paid money for it and kept watching it only for that. It sold because of that but it sold well because it also has a passable harem comedy and action series with special moves and evil plots the kind of which people like.
So Sekerei
Boobies!>Harem comnedy>Fighting!

Nise? Something more like.
Shinbo directing the hell out of show> Suggestive Otaku humor
> Unique take on monster tales
It's the complete picture that makes for either work and if Nisemonogatari were presented without SHinbo's direction and Shaft's fantastic art, if it were animated by Satelight, even if it kept the content of girls flashing body parts and talking about being naked I do doubt it would be anywhere as popular, it certainly wouldn't have the critical acclaim that Sekerei never even tried for beyond having a passable story.

I guess you're mainly upset because the second and third categories of Bakemnono switched (lot less about the monsters this time) but all these shows you're talking about are different shows with different expectations so it's just wrong to compare complaints about the pace of Bodacious Space Pirates with those that are forgiving of this because it has different expectations.

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
killmyself

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:04 pm Reply with quote
The shows are popular because they are great. Stop acting like this is a fanservice show; the show is based on light novels for fucks sake that isn't why those scenes were added. Everything that has some kind of sexual situations isn't fanservice. This is just a mature show and thus shows levels of violence, emotions, and sexual conflict that don't appear in other shows because they are for children and young teens. Those shows are excluding parts of human behavior and interaction and the inclusion of them doesn't make something a ploy for sales.

The characters, dialogue, and voice acting are all great and made better by the fantastic art and directing. Combined with the supernatural mystery aspect that makes an interesting world for viewers. Which is why most people watch the show not because the monkey showed her bare ass for a bit.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:06 pm Reply with quote
SM, you are wasting your time with Megiddo. See, he knows your taste and my taste and the taste of anyone else who is enjoying this show better than we do. We can talk about the visuals until we are blue in the face, we can talk about the off-beat humour, we can talk about the quirky characters, etc. But Megiddo knows us better. He knows we ONLY watch this for the harem/fanservice. Rolling Eyes
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:03 pm Reply with quote
In some ways it barely fits into harem, he officially chose Senjougahara, he may grope Mayoi but I don't think there is any romance between the two. Suruga has been specificly stated to be a lesbian, although it has gotten quite a lot of teasing between the two, and she likes BL novels, so it could be hard to tell now. He is completly unaware of Sengoku's feelings, though interestingly he is arguably tempted most by her. And he flat out rejected her, making it known he would like to be her friend, but expecting him to be in a romantic relationship with her would be selfish. If there was romantic tension with Shinobu he probably would have been more embarassed.

Actually unlike Bakemono's encyclopedia article, harem is not even listed as a theme, although Nisemono does have sexuality listed as a theme, and strangely love.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Bakemonogatari I could definitely see some arguments on whether or not it is a harem. Nise though? No way. The first 3 episodes' only purpose was reintroducing all the girls in no less than standard harem form.

Oh and Blood, you're right. I should totally believe everyone who says they read Playboy and Penthouse for just the articles as well.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:35 pm Reply with quote
No, what you should do is stop being an odious troll. Why is it so hard for you to believe that there are reasons beyond harem fanservice to like this show? I suspect for whatever reason you are deliberately trying to be provocative and insulting to Nisemonogatari fans - hence, trolling.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:14 pm Reply with quote
That wasn't my statement at all. I said that the harem fanservice is the reason why barely anyone cares that the narrative is a complete wreck and that barely anything of substance has even happened in what amounts to almost half of the entire show.

People are free to enjoy it for however and whatever they want. Those were my exact words on the last page.

That said, this really isn't a conversation that will ever go anywhere, so you're right. I am basically trolling in the sense of provocation. I leave you to gaze at the wonderful substance of Nise.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
That wasn't my statement at all. I said that the harem fanservice is the reason why barely anyone cares that the narrative is a complete wreck and that barely anything of substance has even happened in what amounts to almost half of the entire show.

How does what you wrote above differ from:

Quote:
Why is it so hard for you to believe that there are reasons beyond harem fanservice to like this show?

Bad enough you appear to be deliberately insulting fans of the shows but on top of it you have to be a mealy-mouthed hypocrite? You really are a piece of work.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

How about the comedic banter and the art?
r3vival

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:34 am Reply with quote
Although I am enjoying the show I definitely feel its inferior to it's predecessor. I just don't quite care for the sister's characters near as much as I do for everybody else. The villain that was introduced isn't very exciting and neither is the curse they are dealing with when compared to the trials faced in bake. I suppose that only makes sense seeing that this is Araragi's first step without Oshino holding his hand anymore. The thing I will say that i like is the dynamic that's developing between Shinobu and Araragi. The wordplay and the dialogue are still interesting and funny. The artwork is downright gorgeous. Here's to hoping the rest of the bake universe gets adapted as well I'd really like to see it all come to the anime media but I may get too impatient and actually end up tracking them down and reading them.
Konopan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:15 am Reply with quote
It's good to see that a comedy like Nise can get people so riled up over being accused of watching "tasteless otaku pandering trash", get people willing to make statements like that, perhaps not even just for the sake of trolling, and get people to seriously defend the show, much like I would expect happened last time around.

All I'll say is that I was surprised when I watched a show where a Christoper-Walken lookalike sent a middle-school girl on an acid trip, followed and preceded by a metric ton of underage girl service. Had to check and make sure I hadn't loaded up an episode of Milky Holmes by accident.

Anyhow, I hope Nise has the courage to continue being as entertaining as it has been.

Especially if it makes SHAFT enough money to get the drugs they need to make a Saint Young Men adaptation or something.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Episode Six

So I guess that Mayoi has secretly been a masochist this entire time, and lost interest spoiler[the second he did not greet her by sexual harassment] We kind of got some idea of what she thinks of age.

Koyomi did manage to take Hitagi by surprise when he spoiler[said that he loved her,] but she was really trying to stop him from being involved, but caved if they handle it her way.Though I could not quite figure out what her relationship with Tsubasa is, when she was on the phone she seemed a little afraid, and she did let the spoiler[sama thing] slip. It is hard to tell what is a joke though with Hitagi.

And spoiler[tsundere Shinobu] was cool, she is earning her place as one of the characters.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:48 am Reply with quote
i guess next ep is the last ep for Karen Bee. Can't wait for Tsukihi Phoenix.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:31 am Reply with quote
Nise is starting to feel like a downgrade from Bake. It's not as compelling to me as a viewer and I'm thinking about re-visiting Bake because hindsight will reveal why I like it more. Maybe I will like it less because I am not the same person as I was 2 (or however long ago it was) years ago.

The villian is not particularly interesting and neither are the two sisters. Nise still has it's art and occasional gag that makes me laugh, but I can definitely see the validity in Meg's argument. I think he/she might be going about it in the wrong way, but there's a kernel of truth in it.

I'm getting to the point where I think the fan service is excessive. Let it be known that I am a fan of fan service and I think it has it's place in certain shows. However, it's really beginning to feel like the meat of the show has gone down. I plan on watching the whole thing, but I don't think of what will happen in the next episode like I did with Bake.
JaffaOrange

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:04 am Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
Nise is starting to feel like a downgrade from Bake. It's not as compelling to me as a viewer and I'm thinking about re-visiting Bake because hindsight will reveal why I like it more. Maybe I will like it less because I am not the same person as I was 2 (or however long ago it was) years ago.

The villian is not particularly interesting and neither are the two sisters. Nise still has it's art and occasional gag that makes me laugh, but I can definitely see the validity in Meg's argument. I think he/she might be going about it in the wrong way, but there's a kernel of truth in it.

I'm getting to the point where I think the fan service is excessive. Let it be known that I am a fan of fan service and I think it has it's place in certain shows. However, it's really beginning to feel like the meat of the show has gone down. I plan on watching the whole thing, but I don't think of what will happen in the next episode like I did with Bake.

It could be because the show is much slower than Bakemonogatari. Even if the sharp but verbose dialogue and the strange stylistic cues were the main attraction, at least what little of the story was tied up with a few episodes per arc (Tsubasa cat the exception). 6 episodes and we still haven't seen the end of the first arc despite there being no more substance than the other arcs before it.

Also, the banter may be starting to feel rote instead of the fresh like in the first season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 16