• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Jmanga.com Lists New Releases, Requests International Feedback

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Dammit, I was planning on turning off my JManga account when the end of the month rolled around, but if they are going to keep adding Yuri titles, I guess I have to turn off HuluPlus instead.
Brand

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:50 pm Reply with quote
While I'm not crazy about Harlequin titles, this week finally felt like a real update to the site. I hope they add more works to the site and finally get some of the stuff they have a preview for but not for sale yet also up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nayu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:48 am Reply with quote
Harlequin had some good stuff back when they were producing bound manga.

I hate that Jmanga has Girl Friends cause it ruins any chance of this getting a print copy. I have nothing against web based content as long as a print copy is still available and this is not something Jmanga does....

(Apparently Seven Seas has the print rights to it, but Seven Seas does not follow through on yuri so this is doomed. Yen Press would have been a great home for this title.)
MrXarnus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:52 am Reply with quote
I wish they did print editions, some print on demand service would be great considering most of these titels aren't for the big public.
Nayu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:05 am Reply with quote
Actually, I'll jump back on the Seven Seas train if they pick up more Comic High! and Futabasha titles. Chu-bra, Kodomo no Jikan, Oniichan Control, Umi Monogatari would be nice to see. Oh wait, they already epic failed on Kodomo no Jikan....
adam_omega

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:
(Apparently Seven Seas has the print rights to it, but Seven Seas does not follow through on yuri so this is doomed. Yen Press would have been a great home for this title.)

The entire Girl Friends series will be released across 2 Omnibus editions. http://www.gomanga.com/manga/girlfriends.php

Girl Friends: The Complete Collection 1 will be out October 2012.
Girl Friends: The Complete Collection 2 will be out January 2013.

Nayu wrote:
Actually, I'll jump back on the Seven Seas train if they pick up more Comic High! and Futabasha titles. Chu-bra, Kodomo no Jikan, Oniichan Control, Umi Monogatari would be nice to see. Oh wait, they already epic failed on Kodomo no Jikan....

In addition to Girl Friends, we licensed I Don't Like You At All, Big Brother!!
http://www.gomanga.com/manga/idlyaabigbrother.php

- Adam Arnold
Seven Seas Entertainment
http://www.gomanga.com/
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
JManga.com is currently only available in North America, however a post on the company's official Twitter feed stated, "If you would like to make #JManga available worldwide, RT, like, or reply to this post!"

Though it is predictably cynical for me to suggest such a thing, one has the suspicion that the term worldwide will ultimately be used with certain strict qualifications within any announcements from the company, if at all such announcements are forthcoming.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:
JManga.com is currently only available in North America, however a post on the company's official Twitter feed stated, "If you would like to make #JManga available worldwide, RT, like, or reply to this post!"

Though it is predictably cynical for me to suggest such a thing, one has the suspicion that the term worldwide will ultimately be used with certain strict qualifications within any announcements from the company, if at all such announcements are forthcoming.

On the other hand, this is publishing, not visual media ~ while "regional" rights are common enough, world English rights are certainly not an unknown thing in publishing.

And since rights in Japanese publishing are typically unbundled, its likely that there are a lot more unencumbered digital rights available in manga than in anime.

I'd not expect all titles available worldwide by any means, since there are dozens of publishers involved, but a number available worlwide and a number available US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, UK, Ireland and South Africa would not surprise me at all.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:31 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:

On the other hand, this is publishing, not visual media ~ while "regional" rights are common enough, world English rights are certainly not an unknown thing in publishing.

And since rights in Japanese publishing are typically unbundled, its likely that there are a lot more unencumbered digital rights available in manga than in anime.

I'd not expect all titles available worldwide by any means, since there are dozens of publishers involved, but a number available worlwide and a number available US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, UK, Ireland and South Africa would not surprise me at all.

Keep in mind, Jmanga's translations are overlays, and can be reverted to Japanese (unless they're scans of already published books).
So technically they are streaming the english version AND the original Japanese version.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:00 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Keep in mind, Jmanga's translations are overlays, and can be reverted to Japanese (unless they're scans of already published books).

So technically they are streaming the english version AND the original Japanese version.

Yes, quite true.

But then, Manga has never been like book translations, in which normally only the derivative work is distributed (perhaps with the exception of short form poetry, but my Neruda was an edition I picked up in Paraguay) ~ translated Manga have always combined the original and the derivative work, even if they have normally not shown the original text from the original art.

JManga takes that to the next step, but I've never seen a JManga license and a regular print translated license to compare the two and see if the difference is reflected in the license terms or whether its just the technology that permits JManga to display the original art without the overlay.

In any event, if their rights to distribute the original art outside of Japan is non-exclusive, it wouldn't interfere with online manga reader rights to, eg, French, Spanish or Italian translations.
yuricon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:03 pm Reply with quote
As much as I would love ALC Publishing to be involved with Yamaji Ebine's work, Love My Life, we are not. The title we are working on in conjunction with JManga is Goto Hayako's POOR POOR LIPS.
yuricon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:23 pm Reply with quote
ALC Publishing is not now and has no immediate plans for publishing Love My Life.

I can't figure out why you took my previous comment to mean that. But, can you just please remove any mention of ALC from this article? Thanks.

Cheers,

Erica
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1