• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Forbes: Sony Develops Next Console with AMD Graphics

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:04 am Reply with quote
That's interesting because the "Xbox 720" is also said to be using a GPU "based on AMD's 6000 series GPU architecture". Hard to believe both are using AMD hardware, but if they are it might be smart to buy stock in AMD.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:16 am Reply with quote
It's weird if AMD-ATI could get both consoles, though AMD needs all the accounts it could get.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:51 am Reply with quote
amd currently has the most efficient graphic processors
I dont see why you would find this hard to believe? have you even read up on llano at all?
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:19 am Reply with quote
AMD will have the console triumvirate if true. Wii also uses an ATI GPU and its successor, the Wii U will also use an AMD GPU.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:03 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
AMD will have the console triumvirate if true.

All of which will make for one extremely bloody console war.

Though if the PS4 is being developing with AMD, I guess it's time to start tent-hunting in the "Sony Sucks!!1!!11" camp before land values rise too rapidly. I tried serving my time in AMDville (and the ATIslands,) but they just didn't care for my kind there.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:42 am Reply with quote
I use both ATI and nVidia cards. From my experience, ATI has the slightly better cards, while nVidia has the better drivers. Since I value stability when fragging online, my nVidia cards are the ones tied together (SLI).

Anyways, as for AMD itself, a lot haven't been going AMD's way lately. Gone were the heydays of Athlon (my old Athlon computers are still some of my favorites). If anybody wants to read about AMD's past tribulations and lost opportunities, Forbes magazine just wrote an article about it: "After Years Of Hard Knocks, AMD Honing Its Killer Instinct." AMD-ATI almost (may still) lost their business; they need all the accounts they could get.

Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:01 pm Reply with quote
IIRC, Microsoft dropped nVidia for the 360 as nvidia was charging too much for their chips. Sony might have learned the same lesson for the next generation.
Also, for those who don't know, the Wii and forthcoming WiiU also use AMD(ATI) graphic chips.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1