• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yamato 2199, 1st Gundam Film BDs to Have English Subs

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Good to see more english subs on imports....I guess. I don't like paying these prices (7100 yen= $84 CAD), but I would like to own Yamamoto.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to see that the Yamato 2199 BDs will have English subs. I was hoping that this would be the case!
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I just don't see the Yamato film being picked up by anyone in the US other than Voyager which owns the rights to the original 6 movies and 3 TV series. A sale of anything from the 1970s or 1980s that isn't Macross-related is pretty hard.

We already know Macross ISN'T being officially released/endorsed in the US. Even the upcoming hi-def remaster Blu ray set of Macross --- Yuck! Bad idea to magnify all the coloriing and animation mistakes made in that original series! -- doesn't have subtitles. It's newer shows and those without legal issues that are getting subs. Stuff that has next to no chance of being licensed in the US but still has a fanbase that might grab a few hundred copies of movie BD's or TV series BD sets.

Gundam failed miserably partly because of bad marketing and the single volume sales model which evaporated in the US but if you look at it from a buyer's perspective why buy the same story with small variations 15-20 times over????? It's puzzling to me that fans STILL won't admit that the original show is still bein remade to this very day whether it's a series set in UC continuity or AC...

$84 isn't the worst price I've ssen for anime 5" inch discs. Some half-hour music video OVAs have sold for around $70-$100 on R2 DVD. You're getting at least a 90-minute which is much better than 30 minutes!

Only problem is that are already mixed reviews on this film. I have to see feedback who have actually seen it in Japan.

Asto Boy, Yamato, Speed Racer and a number of other classic anime have had very rough attempts at relaunches/revivals. It's very hard to catch lightning in a jar twice.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:10 am Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
Good to see more english subs on imports....I guess. I don't like paying these prices (7100 yen= $84 CAD), but I would like to own Yamamoto.

It is great news that Yamato 2199 will be subtitled. You might be interested in knowing that a blu-ray box set of the original Space Battleship Yamato will be released this July for around $345 U.S. dollars. It does not seem to be subbed though.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:15 am; edited 1 time in total
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:14 am Reply with quote
For those wondering, I and my team are doing the bluray subs for Yamato 2199.

I wanted to announce it on the Anncast animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2012-03-09
but I couldn't get permission.

P.S. The first two episodes are amazing!
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:24 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

Do you have any idea if there is a chance for the original Space Battleship Yamato blu-ray box set to be subtitled?
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:36 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
samuelp wrote:

Do you have any idea if there is a chance for the original Space Battleship Yamato blu-ray box set to be subtitled?

I doubt it.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:21 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:

Gundam failed miserably partly because of bad marketing and the single volume sales model which evaporated in the US but if you look at it from a buyer's perspective why buy the same story with small variations 15-20 times over????? It's puzzling to me that fans STILL won't admit that the original show is still bein remade to this very day whether it's a series set in UC continuity or AC...

That's what a significant portion of the fan base wants, they would be perfectly fine watching nothing but Zeon vs Federation over and over again.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:52 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:

There are a few gundams that stray from it, like Turn A.

But i'm more a fan of seed than the original, simply because i cannot stand those annoying little kids. And people aren't killed for the sole purpose of powering up the main character.
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:45 am Reply with quote
Yamato is an auto buy especially with the English sub now. I hope if they include sub with the upcoming Zeta Gundam Movies BDs.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:12 am Reply with quote
Majin Tenshi wrote:
Yamato is an auto buy especially with the English sub now. I hope if they include sub with the upcoming Zeta Gundam Movies BDs.

They didn't include subs on the Escaflowne or Gunbuster BDs, so I think any other Sunrise-Bandai show is unlikely right now.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:04 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

That's good to hear! Smile I still get the impression that when these Japanese publishers feel that the cost of adding an English dub will be offset by the extra sales it generates, we'll keep seeing these happen. To the detriment of U.S. anime publishers? I don't know. With what I read here, it sounds like some titles just would not have made it over here regardless, so an expensive release this way is better than none at all. I'll certainly be tempted by this.
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:45 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Majin Tenshi wrote:

They didn't include subs on the Escaflowne or Gunbuster BDs, so I think any other Sunrise-Bandai show is unlikely right now.

Well Gundam Seed and Age will have English sub. Since Zeta movies were released in the US by BE then there is a possibility for it to have sub. It sucks about Gunbuster and Escaflowne.
yu_samson

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:52 am Reply with quote
This is a great move on part of the publishers and the production committee.

Although I speak Japanese and live in Japan, I prefer to have English subtitles when I watch my anime. I haven't bought many movies/anime on disc recently, but I am more than happy to pay for a quality anime blu-ray release with English subtitles. I hope the packaging will have an English friendly description to accompany the Japanese. Strangely enough, I hope this trend continues (Macross Frontier... please have official English subtitles on blu-ray one day *cry*) so I don't have to do the reverse and continue importing North American anime blu-rays to Japan so I can enjoy them...lol
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:18 am Reply with quote
English subs on the JP DVD are nice but it's too bad that, unlike JP Blu-rays, the disc won't actually work in US players Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2