• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Vampire Knight Guilty DVD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Great review.

This is one of the shojo anime that I've enjoyed. The art is spectacular as described in the review. The music is performed well. I mean, who doesn't like Zero's theme, Zero Memory? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhFuLNiHvhk

The comedy, seriousness, and themes mixed in imo is also performed well. Hell, I laughed more in this series than some anime that focuses on comedy in general.

And last but certainly not least, is the storyline. As compared to season 1 in the review, VK: Guilty's plot develops much more deeper than season 1. The voice acting was also performed well imo.

The only part I did not like about the VK: Guilty is the ending. Thankfully, the manga continues from where this leaves off. Season 3 in the future???
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Vampire Knight?

Isn't this show basically Anime Twilight? I heard its damn near as bad.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:07 am Reply with quote
You've heard incorrectly. Unlike Twilight, Vampire Knight is actually good. More so the manga, though. The manga equivalent of Guilty's final battle is a lot better than what they animated. It's a real shame. The rest of the series was pretty faithful to the manga except for that part.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:37 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Vampire Knight?

No. Vampire Knight > Twilight.

Check out the series and you'll see why. The manga is also pretty good although I've yet to read it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:13 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Vampire Knight?

No. Vampire Knight > Twilight.

Check out the series and you'll see why. The manga is also pretty good although I've yet to read it.

The manga is much better than the anime. Unfortunately Guilty caught up to where the anime was and if I recall correctly, the anime ended up doing a slightly altered twist in the final few episodes. Not sure if this would actually harm a potential 3rd series in the future though. I will say that this remains as one of the better shojo/bishounen action series in recent memory though shojo alone, definitely not with titles like NANA, Kimi ni Todoke, and Chihayafuru currently floating around.

And last I checked, Twilight is a chick flick whereas Vampire Knight is not even though I have never seen Twilight.
Kelly

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:39 am Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Unfortunately Guilty caught up to where the anime was and if I recall correctly, the anime ended up doing a slightly altered twist in the final few episodes. Not sure if this would actually harm a potential 3rd series in the future though.

The big difference is that spoiler[Rido's big mind control incident involving the regular night class characters was a more intimate and actually quite tense scene in the manga involving Yuki rescuing Aido from becoming Rido's dessert]. In spite of more characters being involved, the last two episodes of the anime did still have a few elements that emphasized that Aido has become Yuki's friend, so it did still get a point across which has become a fairly major plot point in the manga. There are no continuity problems that I see as far as more episodes being made. I hope they are - the manga is getting really good now!
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:47 am Reply with quote
Actually, the biggest difference is that spoiler[Zero and Yuuki team up to beat Rido after a big fight in the manga. In the anime, Zero basically one shots Rido after Kaname distracts him. It really sucks that Yuuki was stuck on the sidelines when she's actually a lot more proactive.]
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:05 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Great review.

This is one of the shojo anime that I've enjoyed. The art is spectacular as described in the review. The music is performed well. I mean, who doesn't like Zero's theme, Zero Memory? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhFuLNiHvhk

The comedy, seriousness, and themes mixed in imo is also performed well. Hell, I laughed more in this series than some anime that focuses on comedy in general.

And last but certainly not least, is the storyline. As compared to season 1 in the review, VK: Guilty's plot develops much more deeper than season 1. The voice acting was also performed well imo.

The only part I did not like about the VK: Guilty is the ending. Thankfully, the manga continues from where this leaves off. Season 3 in the future???

I for one hope that they'll be a season 3. though with the revelation of the storyline on ep 7 that spoiler[ Yuki & Kaname are siblings and that both their parents are also brother and sister ], it also brings out questionable subjects that is the real reason why it's fellow shoujo ai series Angel Sancutary never got a full series and will derail any chance of a third season for the series.

Well i'm definitely getting this DVD , though i might try the sub version once. DOnt get me wrong. i like the dub, it's that the casting ( except for zero and shizuka ) falls completely flat. it's bad miscasting at it's finest which i was disapointed at viz . And it became even more so with Seltz as Rildo.

Other than that flaw , the dub is preety decent in view and will please dub pursuits. though the miscasting of the two previous season will leave others quite disapointed.

Hopefully if there's a season three, they wont use the same cast.

That is IF there will be a 3rd season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rinmackie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:53 am Reply with quote
Vampire Knight is definitely better than Twilight. But I do think the manga, which is still ongoing, is better than the anime. Of course, I still plan to buy Guilty because I'm a fan of the series. The anime sort of serves as a good introductory to the story but if you like the anime, then I definitely suggest reading the manga.

And I agree that Yuuki is a weak heroine, though she is a bit more proactive in the manga. But she's still too much of a typical shojo heroine for my taste. Which is why I wish Vampire Knight was BL! Twisted Evil Mu-haaa-ha! That will never happen, of course. But at least the anime gave us not one, but two Kaname/Zero bite scenes!

And for those who are a bit troubled by the whole incest thing, spoiler[in the latest chapters, Yuuki and Kaname have split up and there's a chance she might be heading back into Zero's arms!]
chloes_fork

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:13 am Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
And last I checked, Twilight is a chick flick whereas Vampire Knight is not

Vampire Knight is shoujo anime. That pretty much makes it a "chick flick" by definition.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. I'm an adult male, but I personally loves me some good shoujo. I call it "feeding my inner Japanese teenage girl." Laughing
LibraryJoy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:01 pm Reply with quote
In regards to the whole sibling bit, having recently reread the manga through v.13:

spoiler[ Yuki's parents were siblings. Yuki and Kaname were raised as siblings, but are not actually brother and sister. Kaname is Yuki's distant ancestor, resurrected by Rido with the blood of her real brother (who died as a result). Kaname took the form of a child and took the dead child's place. So it is sort of incestuous, but not quite in the same way. How many generations of distance counts as incest? In a family that regularly intermarries?]
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:17 pm Reply with quote
As far as Yuuki goes, I've always like the idea that you really need to approach her as being a different age mentally/emotionally than she is physically, since she basically reverted to being an infant in terms of language and member when she was 6 or so? I don't remember the exact ages but if you think of her as being ten years old rather than sixteen, some of her actions make more sense. This doesn't completely redeem her (though as others have mentioned, she does get to be more proactive in the manga) but it does at least go some of the way.[/spoiler]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't help that Kaname constantly treats her like a baby too.

I don't oppose Yuuki/Kaname because of the incest. I opposite it because Kaname is a bastard.
shukero

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I was interested in this series untillspoiler[ the biting scene between the two main male love interests].

The series was at a fever pitch, intense, awesome and then this scene happens and I just threw up my arms and said, "what the hell!" Had to stop watching right then and there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:38 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Doesn't help that Kaname constantly treats her like a baby too.

I don't oppose Yuuki/Kaname because of the incest. I opposite it because Kaname is a bastard.

I oppose him cause of his dull personality.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2