• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shinken Zemi Gets Anime with Miyu Irino, Aya Hirano

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Why does this remind me of Lova Hina a bit?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
scineram

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:27 am Reply with quote
Irino+Hirano=watch.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:58 am Reply with quote
Why all those cliché anime must have a boy and a girl as childhood friends?

Boys, if they are not gay, have girls as childhood friends extremely rarely, because boys and girls in that childhood age share very little interests. Girls usually do not dwell much on Mortal Combat games and football, and boys do not usually really like Barbies.

Yet if you look at any anime among hundreds that produced by this cliché, girls always have boys as childhood friends, and vice versa. Highly unrealistic.

Last edited by MaxSouth on Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:16 am Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
Highly unrealistic.

Mechs, demons, angels; eyes the size of your fist; anthropomorphized soda cans, guns, train routes; magical girls, guys, and furry creatures...

But hold on, childhood friends of different genders? I think we've pushed the plausible too far, now.

The reason "why" is that an anime show does not exist without something to tell a story about. Anime is not a simple random sample of reality, so yes, some tools for introducing drama are used in multiple shows, even when not particularly likely.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:31 am Reply with quote
But the whole childhood friends thing is so overused it has become stale.

There is also the not-so-small matter of differing standards of realism in Anime. Basically, the closer something is to being normal, the higher the level of realism expected of it. If angels and demons exist then I can swallow that, because they aren't real in the first place so it is sort of like just accepting the existence of magic. But if a person - a regular character with no powers - gets hit by a car and survives without a scratch then that is harder to believe than the existence of angels. Much harder.

So Yttrbio, you need to have some perspective in these matters.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:21 am Reply with quote
Putting aside the oddity of a dtm42 lecture on perspective, plot concepts are tools. If, in the middle of a realistic story, a wizard shows up, sure, that's annoying. But if some company, from day 1, wants a childhood friend in what looks like an ad, what standard of realism is being failed? They haven't set one yet.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:27 am Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
Why all those cliché anime must have a boy and a girl as childhood friends?

Because it's even rarer in Japan, so it's an even more appetizing wet dream. Besides, Aya could easily show all what it takes in a correspondence course that helps middle school students get into their high schools of choice! Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1