• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Promotes Ken Sasaki to President & CEO

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Viz also said that, after the digital launches of Viz Anime, Viz Manga, and Weekly Shonen Jump Alpha, "Sasaki plans to unveil the next digital chapter for Viz Media this summer."

I'm not going to be surprised anymore if once Viz reveals their next Digital manga plans this summer and then launch them, fans will still rabidly complain over how it's not on the same day as in Japan or how it's not available worldwide. Don't mean to sound like a downer about this, I'm personally intrigued about this annoucement. But Viz just seems to get flack for just about anything these days (and people don't bother telling what are all the things Viz gets flack for. I've read them all a thousand times before, I don't need them repeated to my face for the thousand-and-oneth time).
skafreak51

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:29 am Reply with quote
That last statement scares me. Just release my manga in graphic novel format the same that you've been doing for years on a regular basis without dropping any titles and giving digital manga special treatment and I'll be fine.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:07 am Reply with quote
A story about VIZ that doesn't include the rest of Monster on DVD means I don't care.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:18 am Reply with quote
And not a single f*** was given.

Kruszer wrote:
A story about VIZ that doesn't include the rest of Monster on DVD means I don't care.

This!

And the same goes for Tiger & Bunny which i'm sure will take 2 or 3 years to release on video. Mad
jsc315

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:18 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
And not a single f*** was given.

Kruszer wrote:

This!

And the same goes for Tiger & Bunny which i'm sure will take 2 or 3 years to release on video. Mad

wait you actually had hope that Viz was going to release anything other then manga in a timely manner? Just stop that positive thinking!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MrXarnus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:17 am Reply with quote
I couldn't care less about their digital offerings, as long as they print the GN's and don't do digital-only series I'm not gonna complain.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:26 am Reply with quote
What's with people with three letter names and being CEOs of US anime companies?

Ken... Gen... Kun...

I sense a pattern here...

-Sam
nokishoff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I also have no intrest in their digital releases. Right now I just want Inuyasha TFA on DVD, the Bleach movies on DVD (at this point I like the movies more than the series), and the rest of Naruto Shippuden on DVD including the movies.

If no DVD and/or no dub then no money.
baadaku12345

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I still think going digital is the wrong move, as those who legally buy anime/manga do it so that they can own a tangible product.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:53 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
What's with people with three letter names and being CEOs of US anime companies?

Ken... Gen... Kun...

I sense a pattern here...

-Sam

Well that just means that they haven't finished their six-sigma training. If he get sigmas four through six he'll become Kendal or something. It's like how angels get wings for saving somebody, but terrible.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wiesteria

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:46 pm Reply with quote
MrXarnus wrote:
I couldn't care less about their digital offerings, as long as they print the GN's and don't do digital-only series I'm not gonna complain.

This. I need to have physical copies of my volumes. I mean, I am completely in support of what Viz needs to do to reach out to more consumers, but I hope it never gets to the point where they stop doing printed books.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Wiesteria wrote:
MrXarnus wrote:

This. I need to have physical copies of my volumes. I mean, I am completely in support of what Viz needs to do to reach out to more consumers, but I hope it never gets to the point where they stop doing printed books.

Agreed. As long as there is a physical version available, whether it pertains to books or anime, I'm happy.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:36 pm Reply with quote
baadaku12345 wrote:
I still think going digital is the wrong move, as those who legally buy anime/manga do it so that they can own a tangible product.

Pretty much my thoughts as well.
Ryan227

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Digitally what I'd like to see Viz do is release some of the series they've decided to drop like Reborn and Gintama. I'd buy Gintama digitally, that's for sure. I would like physical copies but if that's not possible it's not. I used to be totally against paying for digital manga but I have a tablet now and I really enjoy having manga on it and I don't mind paying for it as long as the quality is good.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:01 pm Reply with quote
nokishoff wrote:
I also have no intrest in their digital releases. Right now I just want Inuyasha TFA on DVD, the Bleach movies on DVD (at this point I like the movies more than the series), and the rest of Naruto Shippuden on DVD including the movies.

If no DVD and/or no dub then no money.

Memories of Nobody is such a beautifully crafted film. One of my all-time favorite movies, it is.

baadaku12345 wrote:

I own a collection of over six-hundred tankoban for the reason you described. I want the stories I love so much to stand the test of time the way I know they can; paper has been allowing people to do that for centuries, so how can I be so sure about virtual paper when the Internet's existed for only a few decades?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2