• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Registers Jiggle Counter Trademark

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Damn. Wink

I hope they aren't pissy about this and try to charge us each time we use the phrase.
biliano

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:08 pm Reply with quote
The images of David were pretty cool. Cool

With all of the negativity and mudslinging that's been going on at these forums in the past few days, it's nice to actually look at something that's both outrageous and cool. Very Happy
Zeiram

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:35 pm Reply with quote
ah yeh i'm so gonna congratulate him next i see him ^^
The Frankman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:39 pm Reply with quote
This is just sad. They're patenting the "Jiggle Counter". Riccoculous. What's next, the "Black Guy who dies in 3 minutes/drawn stereotypically" counter? Confused

biliano wrote:
. . . With all of the negativity and mudslinging that's been going on at these forums in the past few days, it's nice to actually look at something that's both outrageous and cool. Very Happy

When ISN'T there mudslinging going on in these forums? Between the elitists, the mods and the new fans who get flamed (only sometimes they deserve it) I like it sit back, relax and enjoy Teh Insanity.
Walkabout

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:57 pm Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:
This is just sad. They're patenting the "Jiggle Counter". Riccoculous. What's next, the "Black Guy who dies in 3 minutes/drawn stereotypically" counter? Confused

biliano wrote:
. . . With all of the negativity and mudslinging that's been going on at these forums in the past few days, it's nice to actually look at something that's both outrageous and cool. Very Happy

When ISN'T there mudslinging going on in these forums? Between the elitists, the mods and the new fans who get flamed (only sometimes they deserve it) I like it sit back, relax and enjoy Teh Insanity.

I think the first part of your post is a tad..."insulting"...maybe?
And the second part...man, you can't bask in chaos all day, you'll just sort of...go crazy...
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Shocked Whoa if that's gotten patented I should patent 'Spifferific' before someone else does. *Looks at you all threateningly*

Anyways, that's... interesting... unusual... guess I should have expected it eventually.
hikura

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Damn. Wink

I hope they aren't pissy about this and try to charge us each time we use the phrase.

I do expect to get hit with a surcharge or a cease and deceest order when i use that phrase(insert the attempt at humor here).That phrase has been around for a long time.
B33

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Similar to how Donald Trump gets when you use his popular phrase which is "Your Fired"... *donald trump knocks on door*...
Hunter Gren

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:12 pm Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:

Yeah, cause it's so horrible that they put a trademark on a something that they invented and used as an extra on their projects. Damn them for protecting their own intellectual property! Rolling Eyes

seriously, its not soemthing they did to be evil corprate devils, they did it to have fun. Nobody is getting sued over this, I garentee it.

They've already used it on Burn Up Excess and Plastic Little to my knowledge, anyone know of any others that have this wonderful, patented extra?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Isaaru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:31 pm Reply with quote
hikura wrote:
Joe Mello wrote:
Damn. Wink

I do expect to get hit with a surcharge or a cease and deceest order when i use that phrase(insert the attempt at humor here).That phrase has been around for a long time.

ARGH!!

They didn't trademarked the phrase. They trademarked the gimmick. If you got the plastic little DVD, you would understand. Even if they somehow did, you could say it as much as you want, no one, least of all ADV, would charge.

It's all in good fun. It's also very good news that ADV still has a perverted sense of humor.

Laugh damnit!
Grico

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Thank god all the inferior rip-off jiggle counters will now have to cease and desist.
biliano

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Hunter Gren wrote:
Seriously, its not something they did to be evil corprate devils, they did it to have fun. Nobody is getting sued over this, I garentee it.

Exactly, and that was the point of my first post. It's nice to read cheerful news (for a change) instead of reading flame wars and people insulting each other (and well-esteemed journalists - right, Zac? Smile )
hikura

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Isaaru wrote:
hikura wrote:
Joe Mello wrote:
Damn. Wink

ARGH!!

They didn't trademarked the phrase. They trademarked the gimmick. If you got the plastic little DVD, you would understand. Even if they somehow did, you could say it as much as you want, no one, least of all ADV, would charge.

It's all in good fun. It's also very good news that ADV still has a perverted sense of humor.

Laugh damnit!

I did see plastic little(well before even adv got their hands on it and after they released it).I knew it was not a phrase but a gimmick.But i was trying to be funny.The jiggle counter is similiar to the jiggle factor hence why i said this.If you read my sentence in between the () you would have seen my attempt at humor.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Now if only they could release a home version. I already have an idea for a design. Wink

"....and all drooling otaku will recieve a copy of our home game. Count every iota of fanservice in the comfort of your living room with the official ADV At-Home Jiggle Counter; it's just like on the DVD."

(/me now desparately wants one of those old Jeopardy! Challenge calculators)
Andromeda

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Whoa if that's gotten patented I should patent 'Spifferific' before someone else does. *Looks at you all threateningly*

Unless Spifferific is a device or program of some sort as opposed to a word, you can't "patent" it.

THe Jiggle Counter function on ADV DVDs is a program on the disc, which is why it can be patented.

A trademark, which I think you were actually thinking of, is... well look at the word: trade + mark = trademark. It's something you use in trade, ie business. When a trademark is registered, it's registered for specific things (for instance, Apple was a trademarked name for both the computer company and a record company, which were both seperate businesses).

For instance, you could trademark "Spifferific" for apparel or clothing (I'm sure there's a specific legal term you'd use, I just don't know it) if you printed and sold T-shirts with it printed on it. However, you would have to start selling the shirts within six months of registering the trademark (you'd want to, too, seeing as it costs a bit to register a trademark).

Even if you invented a program or device called "Spifferific", only the program itself, IIRC, would be patentable, you'd still have to get the trademark seperately if you wanted rights to the name as well.

Therefore, it's really only the program on the DVD that is patented, and the term Jiggle Counter as used in reference to such a feature is the trademark. People can't include such programs on their non-ADV DVDs unless they come up with the mechanism behind it themselves or pay ADV a royalty for it, and they can't call such a feature "Jiggle Counter" without permission from ADV.

I agree that this is amusing. Though since it's a feature a lot of people enjoy on the DVDs, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

-Andromeda
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3