• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GKids to Release Ghibli's From Up On Poppy Hill Film in N. America

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Variety reported that GKids will release the film next March, and it plans to qualify the film for 2013's Academy Awards before then.

I dunno if it can qualify if they release it next year...It'll long be on home video in Japan by then. Maybe they mean submit it this year for next year's awards?

Quote:
Variety does not specify if GKids' rights include both theatrical and home video rights

I'm guessing if they got it, that Disney passed on it. And if that's the case, maybe that leaves open the possibility that other licensors can get the home vid rights for the "banned" Ghibli stuff like Only Yesterday and Ocean Waves?

Quote:
Studio Ghibli is producing an English-language version of the film, and Kathleen Kennedy and Frank Marshall are co-executive producing the English version.

Looks above at prior comment. I guess not.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm so psyched about this... Been looking forward to it for quite some time! :3
Anymouse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely wonderful news.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I guess Disney didn't get the rights to this film because it's not as "mainstream" as something like Ponyo or The Secret World of Arrietty.

I wonder what the English cast will be, or if they'll have celebrities.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:20 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I guess Disney didn't get the rights to this film because it's not as "mainstream" as something like Ponyo or The Secret World of Arrietty.

I wonder what the English cast will be, or if they'll have celebrities.

Probably because they can't rename conspicuously Japanese children in a conspicuous Japan, in a specific point of the past, to bland Americans in Anytown, USA. And if they can't turn them into white Americans, they don't want it.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Glad somebody finally picked it up! I'll look forward to seeing it in theaters and snatching up the DVD &/or BD later on.

Also, Disney's Loss= Gkids Gain!

Seriously sad good ol John Lasseter could convince them to pick this movie up. Oh Disney, you just love failing the animation fans that once loved you, don'y yea! Oh well, we still have PIXAR! (for now.)
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:50 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Probably because they can't rename conspicuously Japanese children in a conspicuous Japan, in a specific point of the past, to bland Americans in Anytown, USA. And if they can't turn them into white Americans, they don't want it.

Yeah, we all know how terrible it was when Spirited Away got rehauled into a girl working at a gym's sauna. Rolling Eyes
Splitter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Yeah, we all know how terrible it was when Spirited Away got rehauled into a girl working at a gym's sauna. Rolling Eyes

Ponyo very clearly took place in Japan too.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Remember, we don't if this includes home video rights or not. So far, Gkids has only done limited theatrical releases. This may just be an expansion of their agreement with Ghibli and someone else may license it for home video.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Just in time before the blu ray release in Japan, which I originally had on pre-order. I certainly well hope this means a North American release here, because it means saving myself significant money. Just gotta wait an extra year, is all.

In short and in general--Excellent! I look forward to finally seeing Goro's next film!
gkids

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:51 pm Reply with quote
In response to above, GKIDS has home video as well. Theatrical release is currently set for March with blu-ray to follow. Ghibli is producing the dub. We will qualify for Oscar with LA run in November time frame. Enjoy!
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:53 pm Reply with quote
gkids wrote:
In response to above, GKIDS has home video as well. Theatrical release is currently set for March with blu-ray to follow. Ghibli is producing the dub. We will qualify for Oscar with LA run in November time frame. Enjoy!

I will!

And welcome to the forums and keep up the great work with your theatrical runs; especially, the NYICFF.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:16 am Reply with quote
I, too, am excited that this title has been picked up for a North American home video/theatrical release. I'm also very pleased that it will be receiving an English dub, plus will be released on Blu-ray. Thank you, GKids. I'll definitely be picking up the BD once it comes out. Very Happy
Anymouse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:13 am Reply with quote
I am once again wishing I had disposable income. It's a tough life being an unemployed science student.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:42 pm Reply with quote
gkids wrote:

Great news! GKIDS also did the home release for Secret of Kells, if I recall correctly, and I'm still very grateful for that. I hope the Blu-ray release will be a DVD combo pack, I don't own a BD-player yet...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2