• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Lollipop Chainsaw

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:02 pm Reply with quote
well i don't agree with his opinion on the game/review i still respect it. I will not say anymore or less than that because at least the reviewer went into detail what he didn't like.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Your stance on the gender roles in the game feels very superficial. Just because the words "slut" and "whore" are slung around doesn't meant the game is an attack on women. In fact, I would argue that it's more empowering to women than most games these days. I say this because Juliet is a strong young woman whose actions aren't defined by men, and whose choices are purely her own. Independently, she is a force to be reckoned with. Unlike the new, offensive and tasteless version of "Lara Croft" (I can't bear to even use that sacred name to describe that new... THING), this character isn't a survivor, but a fighter. She gives dozens of male protagonists a run for their money, and the vast gamut of contemporary female game protagonists.

I'm not one to typically devalue opinions, because, after all, that's what reviews are in the end, but I'm going to go out a limb and say people shouldn't be dissuaded by this review. "Lollipop Chainsaw" is one of the most enjoyable games I've played in all of my life as a gamer, and one that I'll be comparing every game I play this year to. It's unique, fun, and like nothing else on the market. You won't regret a single cent you spent on this riproaring good time. It's easily Suda51's best work, and this is coming from a longtime fan of his. Check it out without delay.
zr2008

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:15 pm Reply with quote
lol I want that masou shoujo costume. Love the game so far
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:18 pm Reply with quote
So you rate the individual parts A, B, C+, B-; and this of course somehow average to a C, a score lower than the lowest score given to anyone part; clearly math is not your strong suit.
Panon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:24 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
So you rate the individual parts A, B, C+, B-; and this of course somehow average to a C, a score lower than the lowest score given to anyone part; clearly math is not your strong suit.

Overall score is not an average.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:00 am Reply with quote
I like Suda51 games for the spectacle more than the actual gameplay. I feel his games walk the line between satire and exploitation; but I can't help but be entertained. I do think that, as far as the sexulization of Juliet, that the games tounge is firmly implanted in cheek.
AnimenexuS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:10 am Reply with quote
Some time a C rated passable I enjoyed this game and grind house style game. When I bought this game I know exactly was getting. I know the game wouldn't prefect scores. Plus game shouldn't be to serious. This made for niche crowd.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:39 am Reply with quote
Panon wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:

that should be made clear then. 90% of people that read reviews only go by the scores alone, hardly any read the actual review or go the content written.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:43 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Panon wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:

that should be made clear then. 90% of people that read reviews only go by the scores alone, hardly any go by the actual review it's self.
That's weird. I must be in the other 10% , because I almost always ignore the score. I don't think you can rely on the score without having the review for context.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:44 am Reply with quote
that should be made clear then. 90% of people that read reviews only go by the scores alone, hardly any read the actual review or go the content written.
Really? I can think of few things less useful than the review score given by a person whose preferences I'm not familiar with (and if I don't read the review, I won't be.)
Zopyros

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:25 am Reply with quote
I've gone off Zombies, too overrated. Game doesn't look too bad, but I'm afraid I'll give this a miss.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:39 am Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
Panon wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:

that should be made clear then. 90% of people that read reviews only go by the scores alone, hardly any go by the actual review it's self.
That's weird. I must be in the other 10% , because I almost always ignore the score. I don't think you can rely on the score without having the review for context.

The ann community is different however. I really should have pointed that out. However some random guy/gal on this site isn't going to bother, I know these type of people online. Most teen-young adult gamers go by that 7-10 or higher or will not bother to even read the review tl;dr

I rented and beat the game in 9hrs. If anything it is to short. I will buy it once I get the funds
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:46 am Reply with quote
Good thing Juliet isn't singing and dancing on stage too! Laughing
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:21 am Reply with quote
You know, the more people keep caring about scores the worse gaming gets.

You'd think after it became common knowledge publishers pay off and influence a site's score people wouldn't bother with them. Apparently not. Little kids need that score to feel validated with their parent's purchase for them.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:47 am Reply with quote
A nice review for a Suda51 game. While it seems the game did what the devs set out to do, from my experience with No More Heroes, this style of game is nowhere near my tastes. But in all honesty, more power to them and the players who enjoy this. Hopefully these type of targeted-niche games can keep getting made in the current gaming environment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6