• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toei's Dark Anime Film Asura's Trailer Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Well, it seems like an interesting concept...

But that animation is distracting and, really, not that great.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow. The song played in that trailer made me laugh. It did not go well with the mood of the trailer. Poor song choice for a dark themed Anime movie is poor.

And I agree, the art looks awful.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Excellent, most excellent. This is my second most-anticipated anime movie of the year. Love the art style and will be looking forward to this. I remember reading that people thought Mononoke's (TV show, not the Ghibli movie) animation/art was bad as well. Things that stray from the conventional style seem to get that criticism a lot.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Excellent, most excellent. This is my second most-anticipated anime movie of the year. Love the art style and will be looking forward to this. I remember reading that people thought Mononoke's (TV show, not the Ghibli movie) animation/art was bad as well. Things that stray from the conventional style seem to get that criticism a lot.

Don't lump me with people who criticize something for unconventional art or animation styles.

The animation seems to utilize some CGI techniques and it just doesn't look good (in my opinion). Something like this fits well with a 2D look. It's akin to the Berserk Golden Egg film or the one I can't name with the white-haired graffiti artist. I just feel that its animation seems...perhaps not clunky, but too distracting. Mixing CGI and traditional animation can work, such is the case with Night and Day. I just don't think it was done well in this particular instance.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:13 am Reply with quote
I don't think this looks as bad as the CGI done in the Berserk film. At least the art style seems to accompany it a bit better. It doesn't look like it has that stiff motion that Berserk had (especially with armored characters). Given Keiichi Satou's past experience with Karas, I think it'll be fine.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:45 pm Reply with quote
This won't sell here. There aren't pretty girls.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote
G-Goku? Is that you?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:53 pm Reply with quote
I'll be checking this out next week. I haven't watched any trailers on it. Should be interesting.
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:14 am Reply with quote
was actually quite stoked for this title but- as was already said- the animation doesn't look too good. movements seem very stiff...
i'll probably still give it a chance but i don't think this'll make it to any german theater.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1