• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 2nd Madoka Magica Film's Key Visual Published

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:18 am Reply with quote
Looking at the art, it really is a sequel. I honestly don't think it was needed, but it could work I guess.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:21 am Reply with quote
The first two movies are re-doing the TV series, though I wouldn't be surprised to see some significant changes in the second one.

The third one will be a sequel.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:50 am Reply with quote
Well, I can't wait to see how well the movies of Puella Magi Madoka Magica will fare. I can expect to see plenty of surprises from it, just like when I watched the series.
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I think it's been established before, but aside from the possibility of changed background art, a few frames of animation, and new scenes to lead into the final film, both the first and second films ARE, INDEED, copy-paste of the TV series. It's not completely re-animated, as you would see in the Nanoha films and such.

It's a pointless disappointment for some, but... I don't mind. The series could use a few artistic changes here and there, even if it's also fine as it is. I'm interested in seeing how it turns out.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Well, I for one am still hoping that the second film will expand on episode ten, which was easily the best episode of the series.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Considering these are no more than abridgements of the TV series, I have no idea how the second movie could 'expand' on that. That would require new footage which, as far as I know, the first two movies will not have. There might be something like a 'Red Cross Book' that is made for moviegoers though, which I suppose could clarify/expand particulars from the franchise.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Considering these are no more than abridgements of the TV series, I have no idea how the second movie could 'expand' on that. That would require new footage which, as far as I know, the first two movies will not have. There might be something like a 'Red Cross Book' that is made for moviegoers though, which I suppose could clarify/expand particulars from the franchise.

At no point has it been said there will be no new footage in the movies.

It has been said they are not being completely reanimated, but that is completely different.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I haven't seen anything that said that the first two films would solely consist of existing footage. They are recaps, but even recaps can have new footage.

I'll admit that I haven't been following the news announcements for the movies as closely as some. So if the movies really don't have any new animation and someone can link to the news article that stated it, then I'll admit I was wrong.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:35 pm Reply with quote
My theory on the movies:

Movie 1: Episodes 1~9, ending in the fight against spoiler[Oktavia von Sekendorf]

Movie 2: Episodes 10~12, with 10 expanded to ~1 hour, the rest being the last two episodes, with the end of 12 modified to accomodate the third movie.

Movie 3: spoiler[To the Stars] (I only wish Anime cry)
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:40 pm Reply with quote
As cool as episode 10 was, stretching it to a whole HOUR may cause some arc fatigue.

Maybe they could make it work, though.
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:25 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Well, I for one am still hoping that the second film will expand on episode ten, which was easily the best episode of the series.

Have you ever listened to the first drama CD that came with the first Japanese BluRay release? It expands on episode 10 a bit--at least, enough to add some more development to the relationship between Homura and Madoka. If you want to know some of the other stuff Urobuchi had in store for episode 10 before it was cut down, though, you'll just have to find videos of the PSP game or something. I'm translating some of it right now.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:01 am Reply with quote
I haven't listened to the drama CD, no. I have the LE Blu-Ray + DVD sets, so unless it is on there (and to be honest, I've hardly looked at the special features), then I don't have it. I also notice that it seems to be missing from YouTube, which has the second and third but not the first (at least, not with English subtitles).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1