• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tenjo Tenge Creator to Launch Manga With Novelist Ōtarō Maijō

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freakmasta

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:24 am Reply with quote
Anything can be better than Oh! Great writing the story himself.
Mr. Nescio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:31 am Reply with quote
I (and certainly many others) have always thought that Oh! great needs a writer. Now it seems that even he agrees. It isn't bad to concentrare on one's strengths, is it?
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:10 am Reply with quote
Oh Great is a very talented artist and character designer (though he needs to stop with the cheesecake), but a TERRIBLE (and often pretentious) writer. What really irritates me is how horrendously sexist a lot of his series are. If he's doing the artwork it might turn out fine unlike Air Gear and Tenjo Tenge
Exaar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:42 am Reply with quote
Air Gear is my single favorite manga/anime series of all time, so I am excited to see what turns up here.
hpulley

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:30 am Reply with quote
Once again I feel a bit out of the mainstream or perhaps out of time here as I enjoyed Tenjo Tenge, have all 22 tankobons in Japanese and read it first in Ultrajump. Ah well, I know what I like and don't buy based upon popularity. I will pick up Ultrajump from Amazon.co.jp to check it out.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:57 pm Reply with quote
3 things that came to mind when reading this article: Gurren Lagann, amazing artwork, and my Little Pony.

Anyways, I'm not a fan of Oh! great's works but I love his artwork and him teaming up with a novelist might prove some interesting results. I'll keep my eye out for this one.
VanzZz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:43 am Reply with quote
Should be good if OH isn't the author
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:02 am Reply with quote
lotta love for oh great in here lol.

I like his stuff anyway and i seems to sell well enough despite the opinion of his story writing.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:04 am Reply with quote
Could be interesting, as long as they both are fully invested in the project.

It would be more fair to say Viz is publishing Tenjo Tenge. The final FCE/omnibus volume isn't scheduled to come out unti February.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:33 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Oh Great is a very talented artist and character designer (though he needs to stop with the cheesecake), but a TERRIBLE (and often pretentious) writer. What really irritates me is how horrendously sexist a lot of his series are. If he's doing the artwork it might turn out fine unlike Air Gear and Tenjo Tenge

Indeed, his art is so awesome, I love it. But always, without fail, I can never finish his works because the story goes off the rails.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:04 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:

As much as I enjoyed some of the elements of AG, by and large I have to agree. By the end I was only hanging in there for maybe 2 characters I liked (Agito/Akito/Lind/Gazelle was always fun) but the symbolism and confusing metaphors and pseudo-science just hurt my brain.

Having him concentrate solely on the artwork while another person belts out the story sounds like an excellent balance to me. His attention to detail and knowledge of human anatomy and perspective are mind-boggling, but yes, I can definitely agree that the fanservice gets too in-your-face much of the time, and his portrayal of female characters is downright sad at times.

Hoping for the best with this collaboration! I'd love to finally enjoy one of his series on the whole enough to own one.
Adonisus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:10 pm Reply with quote
OK, so I KNOW that I'm bringing this thread up two months after the fact, but I have to squee a little bit....so if you guys will humor my squeeings....

I'm obviously quite happy to hear of Oh! Great coming back to the manga game, seeing as I love his gorgeous artwork (sometimes uneven writing not withstanding)....but what makes this even sweeter is the fact that he's teaming up with Otaro Maijo, one of the most criminally underrated of japanese novelists and illustrators on the planet.

To describe his work, it's sort of like what you would get if you crossed William S. Burroughs with NisiOisin. He writes these avaunt-garde mystery and magical realist novels that use a very stream-of-consciousness writing style. He has on particular novel, entitled SPEEDBOY!, that uses a typical shonen manga plot to explore the nature of time, reality and the nature of the universe. Quite appropraite actally, since it was one of the first books published in the Kodansha Box line of novels.

Oh, and he also illustrates alot of his books and stories as well. He's even published some short manga as well.
hpulley

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:03 am Reply with quote
Ultrajump January 2013 should be here on Friday and I'm looking forward to this one!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1