• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Mayo Chiki! Sub.DVD 1-3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
11G4GUNOT

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:00 pm Reply with quote
japan doesn't want sentai to release on bluray and region-free
Nebs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm assuming this review is for episodes 1-13, & not 1-3 as the title suggests.

11G4GUNOT wrote:
japan doesn't want sentai to release on bluray and region-free

If that were really the case, Sentai would just release a dub-only blu-ray release like they did for Persona 4. Sentai simply doesn't want to shell out the money for dubs & BRs on lesser known titles. Only their A-list titles get the big-time treatement.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:50 pm Reply with quote
I loved this show, it was one of my top 10 shows... hell, maybe even top 5 shows of 2011. Its one of the best Romcoms out there.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Nebs wrote:
-snip-
If that were really the case, Sentai would just release a dub-only blu-ray release like they did for Persona 4.
-snip-

I still think that was a terrible decision. I would much rather just wait longer for any series than have a series with the original audio ripped out. The official product would be inferior to pirated dual-audio releases, which is a shame.

RyanSaotome wrote:

I loved this show, it was one of my top 10 shows... hell, maybe even top 5 shows of 2011. Its one of the best Romcoms out there.

...Really? I heard most people say that at best it was just pretty good, and at worst terrible.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:50 pm Reply with quote
[quote="EnigmaticSky"]
Nebs wrote:
-snip-
RyanSaotome wrote:

...Really? I heard most people say that at best it was just pretty good, and at worst terrible.

not to speak for anyone here, but everyone's got their prefrences, I know of a guy somewhere who gave the series a considerably good review and he enjoyed it alot, which is why I'm considering giving it a try when I have the chance.
RoverTX

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:32 pm Reply with quote
This show had some clearly market based over the top fan service in the first few episodes to get people's attention, and then some really over the top stuff in the second to last episode. I liked the show but the clear market move fanservice, one that was inserted at what was supposed to be kind of a touching moment, left me with a bad taste in my mouth, no pun intended.....

It felt like good writing surrounded by a bunch of market hounds that wanted to hit every Otaku demo, of both sexes(so many stupid yaio references that went on for to long).

Then again I guess I was looking for something more along the lines of Toradora or Combat Butler when I picked it up.

Edit: I am pretty sure Nakuru was a reference to FFXI's Mithra, her appears doesn't make sense any other way...

Edit: Second to last Ep not Last Broadcast. spoiler[The one where the two main characters run away.]

Last edited by RoverTX on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Last episode was saved for the best girl, and it's such a shame the otaku brown girl voiced by Kana Asumi wasn't the main girl. Actually, they never are.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:22 pm Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
Nebs wrote:
-snip-
If that were really the case, Sentai would just release a dub-only blu-ray release like they did for Persona 4.
-snip-

I still think that was a terrible decision. I would much rather just wait longer for any series than have a series with the original audio ripped out. The official product would be inferior to pirated dual-audio releases, which is a shame.

RyanSaotome wrote:

Of course, there is no guarantee there will ever be a dual audio bluray released. That will really depend on what mood Aniplex is in. We can hope though. But I suppose the people who don't care about dual audio can at least get their blurays, which is probably better than no bluray for everyone.

With this picked up in both the UK and Australia, I was surprised there was no dub produced. Maybe all three companies had minimal expectations.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:27 am Reply with quote
So the main character's reason for gynophobia stems from his siter beatings and such - not so different from Girls Bravo's main character who suffered beatings from his next door neighbor/childhood friend/probable like interest. Yet it's more acceptable? Wouldn't he just develop a fear of just his sister rather than with women in general?

I didn't hate Mayo Chiki! {the fact I have to make sure I watched it isn't a good sign, however} but any lack of closure really hurt my ending feelings on it, same as most "rom com like" harems that focus on forming a love triangle over the multiple girl situation, only without developing the triangle beyond the "hey, it exists" phase. I don't need a concrete conclusion exactly but something would be good.

This one's inferior in my mind to Sentai' earlier Nyankoi on both the comedy and romance ends {not to forget character animation and design} so I'm glad that this one didn't get a dub. Still, I'd rather have either with a dub over Oh Samurai Girls! Doesn't that kind of reject the idea that Sentai dubs shows with good name recognition? I really think they decide by using a simple formula like Action - (Breasts / Comedy) and if the number's negative, they won't dub it.

For sake of comparision, I'd say Funimation uses (action + breasts)/ comedy and if it's a positive number, they go with it.

Oh well. I either complain about which Sentai shows get dubbed, don't get dubbed or about their dub quality on the shows I like. I don't know if I should feel like a bully or a victim.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
So the main character's reason for gynophobia stems from his siter beatings and such - not so different from Girls Bravo's main character who suffered beatings from his next door neighbor/childhood friend/probable like interest. Yet it's more acceptable? Wouldn't he just develop a fear of just his sister rather than with women in general?

I don't think there is any point in trying to apply sense to the mystical anime andro/gynophobia syndrome, where touching someone of the relevant sex makes you break out in hives, even if you do so unawares.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
edh1017

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:22 am Reply with quote
Mayo Chiki! is the best romcom I've ever seen. I really wish people would give it more of a chance. The show is hilarious and the main character is actually a great lead. Hopefully some people give it a chance.
Kushie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:17 am Reply with quote
This title looks fun I can't wait to get it Surprised
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1