• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kaworu Watashiya: Kodomo no Jikan Manga to End Soon

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:01 pm Reply with quote
I use to really like this manga..but then it got really creepy and crossed the line for me at some point. :\
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:13 pm Reply with quote
It never ceases to amaze me that it's written by a woman. I'm curious to see how she ends it.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:19 pm Reply with quote
How upsetting. I adored the anime, and the manga is pretty good (if not a bit creepy at times). The balance between raw emotion and risque comedy is incredibly unique, and one of the things that's kept me coming back for more. On that note...

Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that makes sense, given that it's looking increasingly like spoiler[Aoki's going to transfer to a different school, and I think the girls are about to graduate anyway.]

What I liked about KnJ is that it could take the time to be serious about actual issues when it tried. And then just when you thought it had grown out of using pedobait fanservice to maintain its audience, it reminds you why this will never see a U.S. release.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Despite Rin's "adopted" father's ickiness, I really like the manga. The characters all have a great dynamic together, especially Rin, Mimi & Kuro-chan.

Doesn't surprise me that this is written by a woman at all. It makes perfect sense. A lot of women think like this, and enjoy the whole teacher/student fantasy. Whether or not they'll admit to it is another story entirely.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Doesn't surprise me that this is written by a woman at all. It makes perfect sense.

Yeah, I don't think a male would ever include a chapter about how to correctly use a tampon.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:09 pm Reply with quote
The end of an era.

I never read it, but I really wonder why this of all series became infamous.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
I never read it, but I really wonder why this of all series became infamous.

Probably because of its unique qualities. I think, had this been the standard lolicon stuff, it would have been easily dismissed ages ago. But unlike that generic stuff, this isn't just some manga solely focused on young girl who wants to jump her male teacher's bones and the adult male guardian that equally wants to get intimate with her, but delves into their background as well. Rin's insight, especially, is surprisingly mature and she understands why those around her act the way that they do. Normally, I would have nothing to do with ecchi tales like this, but KnJ is one of those manga where I'm drawn to the tale's different angles.
AilisKnil

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I feel like this series has lost sight of itself. I used to read it and be impressed that a manga with so much fanservice could also tell a legitimate story. Now I feel like Watashiya is just trying to see how far she can go in sexualizing these children. The story has been all over the place for a while now, and I just feel like it's pandering to otaku at this point. I'm not gonna say I'm not a bit of a lolicon, and it's drawn really beautifully, but if I were that concerned about seeing little anime girls naked I'd go read an H doujin or something.
Kohii

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Sad. Oh well, it was time to move on.

As for KnJ being written by a woman, it really showed in the character of Shirai. I don't think many male authors would find it interesting to expose the life and courtship of a single older (by manga standards) woman. As boring as it was (and trust me, many readers cringed whenever she and Oyajima showed up), Watashiya-sensei kept pushing and pushing their story. Kinda makes me wonder to what kind of degree was she emotionally attached to the character.
thelastgogeta

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Prior to reading the comments above, I've heard of this as "that manga with a focus on kids' sexual relationships"... I guess I should have known that people can make anything engaging with enough thought into it.

May consider taking a dip in the future, why not take a look when something comes to an end and there is so much to choose from even if it isn't necessarily brilliant, I'm a fanboy of what some would call worse.
Nemo_N

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:07 pm Reply with quote
AilisKnil wrote:
Now I feel like Watashiya is just trying to see how far she can go in sexualizing these children.

I see this as the result of Rin now entering puberty. It makes sense given she is 12 now.

Is not that Watashiya doesn't do fanservice (even though I personally see it more as a playful tease on her part rather than thoughtless pandering), but it's quite rational given Rin's age.
Nemo_N

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Kohii wrote:
As for KnJ being written by a woman, it really showed in the character of Shirai. I don't think many male authors would find it interesting to expose the life and courtship of a single older (by manga standards) woman. As boring as it was (and trust me, many readers cringed whenever she and Oyajima showed up), Watashiya-sensei kept pushing and pushing their story. Kinda makes me wonder to what kind of degree was she emotionally attached to the character.

I might be reading you wrong, but you make it sound as if Shirai's story were some sort of deviation of the core of the manga, when in fact she fits with a general theme running throughout it; crap rules society creates out of thin air that only make people feel miserable.

In Shirai's case, the contradictory expectations imposed on girls to not engage socially (out of fear she might turn into a
"slut") and then wondering why she hasn't been able to get married (even though social contact creates the skills and opportunities to marry).

Shirai's story fits very neatly in KnJ.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:01 pm Reply with quote
well at least it's ending and this good thing, I just hope she wraps up it decently. Also this plea for people keep this civil if you hated this series for any reason at all please keep it to yourself.

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kohii

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Nemo_N wrote:
Kohii wrote:

I might be reading you wrong, but you make it sound as if Shirai's story were some sort of deviation of the core of the manga, when in fact she fits with a general theme running throughout it; crap rules society creates out of thin air that only make people feel miserable.

In Shirai's case, the contradictory expectations imposed on girls to not engage socially (out of fear she might turn into a
"slut") and then wondering why she hasn't been able to get married (even though social contact creates the skills and opportunities to marry).

Shirai's story fits very neatly in KnJ.

You misunderstood me. That wasn't what I intended with my post. There are many ways in which Watashiya's womanly (per se) touch shows in the story. Shirai's story is one of them. And it's also one of the least popular, which doesn't make it any less compelling, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3