• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:15 am Reply with quote
CyberViper wrote:
Chrno Crusade: Commonly spelt "Chrono Crusade"
Wikipedia wrote:
''Note This series should not be confused with a series with an extremely similar name, Chrono Crusade (with two "o"'s). This is easy to do however, as ADV is releasing the English language versions of Chrno Crusade under the title ''"Chrono Crusade"'' in North America.

I believe the reason behind the whole two different names is because of copyright laws. In Japan Chrono is still under copyright laws held by Squaresoft (now Square Enix) but that is why, also the unencyclopedia....Wikipedia....ahh I got busted by an English teacher in highschool for using Wikipedia on a paper once....last time I went to that site for anything.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral

6 More Episode of Monster will you be ready.......?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:34 am Reply with quote
Actually the original manga author admitted it was a print error that wasn't caught until the first chapter had already been published.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
CyberViper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:38 am Reply with quote
Wow, really? I had always wondered why it was Chrno and not Chrono...
Haha, well now I know, thanks. Very Happy
kittycatgirl2k

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I like a little bit of everything and don't really rule out any particular genre. My favorites usually end up being shows that have alot of character progression. Alot of posts on here have irritated me because people seem to check out like, half an episode and then pass judgement. Like a good book where it might take a few chapters to get rolling, most anime takes atleast a few episodes to find its footing. Some rare ones get you from the get-go but I really encourage those that have written off entire series by viewing 12 minutes of a single ep...to go back and give it another shot.

Plus shows like Beyblade, Pokemon, Naruto and their ilk are aimed at kids... and do an OK job being sellers of toys and merchandise, which is their main goal. Some of these I hold alot of distaste for, since its a monster-of-the-week kind of thing but didn't include them in the "Anime I Hate" section because I was not expecting to like them in the first place. I'm not part of their target audience so of course they are going to seem juvenile.

With that being said... Here's my favorite animes and why:

Utena
What a great tv series... the character development is excellent, the story is strange and wonderful, and the atmosphere is moody and theatrical. All the characters in the story seem to be in that lovely grey area of neither clear cut good or bad. Everyone has a dark side...

Chobits
Yes, I do want my own persocom. I fell in love with the artwork for this series while reading Newtype and then became enamoured with the anime itself. Should you fall in love with a robot? What about the repercussions of an abundance of these in society itself? I love it that it asks the big questions but also boils it down to a simple romance as well. The risque bits and Chii's sweet, honest innocence won me over in a big way. The ending was just perfect as well.

Fruits Basket
It all comes down to the characters for me and this anime delivers in spades. The dub is absolutely brilliant, and its too easy to fall for the hot tempered but lovable Kyo. There were moments where I laughed so hard it hurt, and cried so much I felt like a wimpy, sentimental idiot. Every time I rewatch this, it's like coming home again.

Pretear
Went into this expecting "just another magical girl show" and instead came away with a moving story and a twisting plotline that went nowhere near where I thought it was headed. Of note also is the animation and design. All of the costume changes were beautifully done and the progression of the story left a few stunners along the way. A very satisfying ending to top it all off too.

Wolf's Rain
Wolves have always been a fascination of mine and this story of lost wolves trying to find their way to paradise caught my imagination. Again, these are some characters that you will remember and there's several heart tugging moments. One that just slayed me involved Blue and of course, that unexpected ending.

Slayers/Slayers Next/Slayers Try
You can't pick just one. The original Slayers was such a funny series, Next added Xellos which made up for toning down Gourry's part, and Try had this whole epic story arc going for it. They all tie into one another since the actions from one season spill over to the next. Especially from Next to Try. Lina Inverse is so lovable. Selfish, easily angered, incredibly powerful (and not afraid to flaunt it), a chronic overeater, and greedy as can be... she's definitely not your typical hero. Plus she goes off firing her high powered spells without a second thought about the repercussions of such actions. Alot of people do not like the whole Slayers thing, but I found the comedy take on the sword and sorcerers D&D thing to be entertaining.

Nausicaa: And the Valley of the Wind
One of the movies that introduced me to anime, back when it was Warriors of the Wind and cut to shreds. Yes, I loved it even then, but now that the uncut version is available in R1 there's even more depth to appreciate. It is a wonderful study of how nature is deteriorating without shoving it completely down your throat. Lots of great action sequences keep it flowing in high gear. Miyazaki's finest work, this was the blueprint for Mononoke.

Dragon Half
Whacky, crazy and all too short... DH has one of the greatest characters ever... a half dragon girl named Mink who's in love with a singing dragon slayer. This just can't turn out well... she's so air headed that its adorable and the style of this comedy is just so different than others I have seen.

Escaflowne & Movie
Absolutely hated the movie which I saw once before the series. I paid for the big extra special super deluxe edition in the gigantic box and was so disappointed in the movie that I shut it off halfway through. After seeing the series, which pairs an angsty hero from fantasy land with an athletic high school girl from the real world... I was hooked, and the movie actually made sense! I love fantasy settings and cat girls and this has both.

Kaliedo Star
This one I enjoyed so very, very much. Sora's never give up attitude is unrelenting and inspiring, and all the other characters interact so well with each other. Another series that got a few chuckles out of me. But it also was captivating in its animation. Each show they put on had its unique angle that led to exotic situations.

Koi Kaze
I think I may be a little sick in the head for including this, but what can I say? I absolutely adored it. There has not been a more tender, honest and open romance that is played out for the drama and not for comedic purposes. Atleast, not that I have seen. This show caught me up in its seriousness and the fact that it wasn't there to get cheap laughs but rather deal with such a taboo subject, no holds barred.

Kiddy Grade
WoW I almost left this one out! I hated the first episode but after that it was like magic... the whole space setting and of course the wonderful Eclair were enough to rope me in. Luminere and the rest of the cast were terrific and the story went far beyond anything I was anticipating. What a turn it makes right in the middle.

Other stuff I really, really loved:
Kino's Journey, Armitage III OVA, Najica Blitz Tactics, Magical Arcade Abenobashi, Figure 17, Magic Knight Rayearth, Nightwalker, Ceres Celestial Legend, Inu Yasha, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Sakura Diaries, Fushigi Yugi.... could go on and on Very Happy

Anime I did NOT like

Elf Princess Rane
I had heard so much about this and how hilarious it was... only... it wasn't. I have no problem with short OVAs that don't have a real conclusion (loved Dragon Half), but this seemed so pointless. There was no character development, the main male lead was as dumb as a brick and Rane wasn't much better. So there was a quest... it went nowhere. None of the jokes fired were amusing...

Excel Saga

Too hyper, too kinetic, and the girl that teetered on the edge of death constantly just freaked me out. I don't enjoy having my senses bombarded with the senseless either.

My Dear Marie
I hate male leads that are so freaking pathetic. The dorky, pocket protector wearing, glasses type that is pining away for some girl of his dreams. This guy takes it to the next level by creating a robot that looks like a replica of his tennis partner except with bigger boobs and different hair. *Yawn* It goes nowhere and is terribly boring. No romantic connection between anyone can be found here and the character designs are pointy and unattractive. It could have atleast had eye candy.

Burn Up Excess
A pointless blow em up can be fun sometimes but this one is all focused on the jiggly breasts of the blonde bimbo. Her other big busted friends are mostly left out of the fun and develop little beyond their typical stereotypes you are introduced to in the very beginning. The excuses for their missions are pretty lame and it just boils down to another yawn fest. I watched the whole thing because I bought it but man, I wish I had those hours back to spend on something else...

If I See You In My Dreams OVA
See My Dear Marie's description except maybe this is a little lamer. I absolutely despised this before it was over with. It turned into a deep rooted hatred for the lil whiny bastard and his plain jane love interest. Agh.

Sentimental Journey
In my quest for a good romance, I have fallen victim to many a bad series and this is another in the ever growing lineup. Each episode focuses on totally different characters and tries to show a little glimpse into their love life... as tragic or wonderful as it is. Unfortunately, the sub is extremely bland and you sometimes do not have a very good feel for what's going on. Many of the stories are just so boring that you could care less about that particular group of people. This could have been a cool premise but just was not done very well.
Assassin_

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:47 am Reply with quote
Lets see, a few that stand out to me...

1) Akira

Great story, great action, the art works well, and I kinda liked the way it was left open to interpretation. Not many animes do that in my experience.

2) Neon Genesis Evangelion

Great story arcs, mystery/suspence is done extremely well, and (repeat from Akira) I like the way lots of story elements are left open to interpretation, at least for awile.

3) Cowboy Bebop

Great art, great action, kinda funny now and then, and some very good stories, even if a lot of them ARE stand-alone.

4) Gundam X

Suspence in this is done INCREDIBLY well, and the story works well with it. I also like the way the story works - small arcs of half a dozen or so episodes, but they all fit into one larger plot as well - and the way that despite the fact that the plot focuses mainly on only 2 characters, EVERY other character (apart from a tiny handful who never get named) has his or her own story to tell.

And the ones I wasnt particularly fond of, in no particular order:

Ghost in the Shell
Despite the well-thought-out story, good action, and very good art, for some reason, the characters didn't really make me care about them, so the story didn't really bother me, and neither did the action, because it didn't really matter to me what happened to the characters. Im not sure if anyone knows what I mean. I've never seen the series, but a lot of people say its better than the film, so Ill probably have a look sometime when I've got a bit of spare cash.

Pokemon
A good idea, and something I think they could have made something of, but they just made it far to corny. I mean, a pair of gangsters called Jesse and James? Seriously?

Digimon
FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRR to corny.

Dragon Ball Z
The bad guys are more bothered about cakes than anything else. Enough said. I dont know if the other Dragonball series are any better.[/i]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
animecrzy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Lets start from top to bottom:

1. Fruits Basket
After my freind lent me the 1st two issues of the manga I fell in love with it. The characters with each of thier different personallities, from Kyo the tough guy to Kisa the timid girl, each character is well thought out and put together in a way to pull out each of my emotions as i watch the series. I own all the english manga(to date) and the anime series, I can't get enough of this "Food for the soul" series.

2. Serial Experiments Lain
To me this anime was a puzzle I wanted to unravel, and for the most part I had to see the whole series many of times(I lost count after 11), and at one time(a year or too ago) I had a complete understanding of the series. The shifting perspective of the wired and Lains empowerment into it, along with events from the "true" world made this anime a peice of genuis, anyone that likes to think alot when they watch anime, this is a must see, if you havn't already. ^^

3. Haibane Renmei
Life after death? Reborn from a cacoon and half an-hour later wings peice out of your back(painfully)? Sure why not? Haibane Renmei is a work of art, literally, the backgrounds and surroundings from an artisits point of vew are amazing, and the story is pretty well done to.

4. Ah! My Goddess (movie/OVA/series)
Call me sappy, but I like a good love story, and that is what this all is, in the most basic of fashions.

5. Excell Saga
To me, random, thoughtless, and often, wrong and stupid actions. is funny, and this series has plenty of that, the only thing that truly caught me off guard was the episode(one of the last) where everything was serious. This anime is a gaint humor attack that no-one should veiw seriously, it will only make them crzy. xP

6. S-cry-ed
Plenty of fighting, to rivals that real dont like each other, but in the end respect each other. Some romance here or there(though its often onesided, the guys are too "macho" to admit their feelings). The altar powers are cool, I like how events caused by the altar users grows to *spoiler spoiler blah blah*
and I like the way Kazuma fights, especcially against Ryuhou.

Not-so like series:

DBZ
When I was younger I realy like this show, that was then, this is now. The show has a very common pattern involving so-and-so will destroy this-and-that if sayain X,Y,or Z doesnt stop him/it, and involved 15 minutes of blah blah blah and not so much fighting, if the series had taken the same appoach as its predisessor Dragonball, then I wouldnt have put this fan favorite on my not-so liked anime.

I can't think of any other anime I dis-like
Senshi Mizaka

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Top 5 Favorite anime movies:

5. Akira: This was actually my first anime movie. Sure, it was a bit confusing, but the characters and weirdness just made it so memorable and unique.

4. Ninja Scroll: Like all of the anime movies I've seen, I only saw the dub of this, and it was a great one. There were intense fight scenes, and I liked the story.

3. My Neighbors the Yamadas: I'm sure this comes as a shocker to most of you. I'm probably the only person who's put this one on my list. What can I say? I was a bit weirded out by the animation style, but it was hilarious.

2. Nausicaa: Valley of the Wind: I'd be crazy not to put a movie by Hayao Miyazaki on this list Nausicaa is one of the most admirable protagonist of any anime movie I've seen.

1. Spirited Away: Miyazaki does it again. It's impossible not to be attracted by his art style, and the setting. And it has a beautiful musical score to boot.

Top 2 movies based on anime series:

2. Lupin III and the Castle of Cagliostro: This was kind of Miyazaki's first, and he did a great job at adding some unique things to Lupin.

1. One Piece: Dead End Adventure: This was the best of the One Piece movies I've seen. It might not've been written by Eiichiro Oda, but the Toei writers know how to write it.
Greennunu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:04 am Reply with quote
Hmmm... I'd say my current top 10 would be:

1: Hachimitsu to Clover - Everything was nicely done(cept for Hagu IMO), great art, great story good music to top it off. I would recomend this to anyone, even if its out of their norm to watch an anime like this. a Masterpiece in its own right!

2: Azumanga Daioh - Genius comedy, a no-brainer comedy that brings tears to my eyes. even without the Ecchi elements it ranks as my #1 comedy anime of all time.

3: Now and Then Here and There - Deep and Sorrowfull, it reminds us of real life even while watching a cartoon.

4: Saikano - Whoa... the only cartoon to make me cry...

5: Nausicaa - The anime who change my view of Ghibli.

6: Juuni Kokki - Although I wanted to puch the screen of my DvD player the first 5 eps because of the main character, after those eps were done I instantly fell in love with the world and the characters, storyline is not to deep, but it has a historical feel to it... which just amounts to a feeling of grandness IMO.

7: Fushigi Yugi - Although Im not a big fan of romance, this series has great story and characters, one of the series which got me seriously into anime.

8: Ranma 1/2 - Simple and funny, although a drag-on type it never seem to get old(cept the hawaii an guy).

9: Genshiken - Comedy about my life... yay!

10: Kare Kano - probably just a unforgettable one, but it has a good blend of drama/comedy which are my favority category... since I don't think there are scary cartoons out there...

Memorable Mention includes: Kannon, Scrapped Princess, Full Metal Panic, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai X, RaXephon, Midori no Hibi.

5 Worst:
Ninja Resurrection - no story just lots of killing.

Judge - dar....

Blood the Last Vampire(movie)- no story lots of killing, series seems to be good though.

Moeyo Ken - waste of money.... even if its only 8.99.

GDF Mao Chan - OMFG what are they thinking!

Things that are so bad I dont consider them anime so it didn't make the list but others might consider them anime...
Pokemon, Digimon, Yu Gi oh, and of course DBZ.
Senshi Mizaka

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Top 10 favorite animes:

10. Azumanga Daioh: I first saw this in an anime music video, and I thought it was hilarious. So, I got the first DVD, and wasn't dissapointed with it. Sure, the comedy can be hard to understand sometimes,

9. City Hunter: One of the oldest animes that I like. Ryo Saeba and his perverted ways always crack me up.

8. Konjiki no Gash Bell: Most people think that this is too much like Pokemon. In a way, it is. But, it has alot of mature humor that never fails to make me laugh.

7. Naruto: Even though it drags on for quite a bit, Naruto has it's share of entertaining stories and action.

6. Bishojou Senshi Sailor Moon: Another shocker! Sure, all of the characters are girls, but it's a great story.

5. Fushigi Yuug (Series, and the 3 OVAs)i: It's a shojou anime, but the best thing about th is series is the characters, especially Chichiri and Tasuki . I found the second season to be a bit mellodramatic, but it was sad.

4. Lupin III: The oldest anime that I'm a fan of. This is the anime that made thiefs cool. It's so funny, but mostly because of Zenigata.

3. Vision of Escaflowne: A unique mix of fantasy and sci-fi. I like how it breaks the stereotypes you'd find in typical "Girl in another world" animes.

2. Fullmetal Alchemist: I immeadiatly fell in love with this series the moment I set my eyes on it when it aired on Adult Swim. It's a heart-breaking story, and the relationship between Ed and Al is so beautiful, wether it's their normal bickering, or their will to always be there for one another.

1. One Piece: An anime that made pirates look cool. Eiichiro Oda is a great story-writer, and created such unique characters and settings that completely break anime stereotypes (Except Luffy, who's a gluttonous idiot with a big heart). But, my opinion on One Piece was a bit different, since I unfortunately saw the 4Kids dub before. Then, I saw the show for what it really was, and got hooked.
Fui

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I believe the reason behind the whole two different names is because of copyright laws. In Japan Chrono is still under copyright laws held by Squaresoft (now Square Enix)

I read this somewhere as well but I guess it isn't true then? This scenario would make sense since copyright laws don't apply overseas. I can understand a mistake like in Beck where they had "Mongorian Chop Squad" as the first few episodes and then changed it later but "Chrno Crusade" is pretty weird to just be a mistake IMO...it just doesn't make sense that they would spell it that way intentionally since Chrono Trigger/Cross were so famous and all.

Anyway, top 10, in no particular order (nothing special really):

1. Neon Genesis Evangelion: Well, minus the last few episodes which were a little too over-the-top for me. The effects and animations were amazing. I think they just did an excellent job with the screenwriting on this. One negative is that I felt the personalities were way too exaggerated (the manga is more realistic/natural).

2. Beck (Mongolian Chop Squad): I felt that the characters were so in-depth and the storytelling was excellent. People say it's much more rushed than the manga but I thought that it was well-told. It was really motivating and made me think about taking my life more seriously.

3. Love Hina: The king (or queen) of harem anime. Each episode was really fun to watch and not too exaggerated (except for Keitaro flying through the air...and mecha tama-chans). They tried to stick to the storyline and I didn't think the fanservice was very pronounced...anyway a fun watch.

4. Fruits Basket: I watched this one several years ago so I kinda forgot the details but I remember I liked it a lot. Just another simple yet interesting anime.

5. Cowboy Bebop: Also something I watched like 5 years ago...I need to re-watch it. Lots of good action in it, that's about all I remember.

6. Azumanga Daioh: Hmm it didn't have a huge impact on me but I don't think it's supposed to. Anyway, it was a fun watch...not particularly enlightening but funny. The characters are all just very entertaining.

7. Elfen Lied: I wasn't really looking forward to which body parts where going to be sliced off in each episode but it was definitely an interesting and moving story. Before watching it I wrote it off as some perverted sci-fi anime but it was a lot deeper than that.

8. Kaleido Star: I don't think you can get a better deal on any anime with the 1st season thinpak set being only $35. I haven't seen the second season yet (but I'll get it when they release the set) but it's a fun, moving, funny story. The animation is great and I just wanted to watch the episodes one after another. Fool is so funny (at least on the JP track) but the dubbed version can be used as a torture device in my opinion...yes it's that bad.

9. School Rumble: Umm I haven't finished it but I like it a lot. I just like romance/comedy animes I guess. I know what people are thinking about me already seeing (half of) this but I don't want to wait another year or so for it to start coming out on DVDs. I'd gladly trade American TV broadcasting for Japanese TV broadcasting anyday...

10. Samurai Champloo: I don't think there was really supposed to be a storyline, and if "looking for the samurai that smells like sunflowers" is considered the storyline, then it's horrible (honestly who cares about him?), but the episodes were all well-made. The focus is really just on their journey and I think they did an excellent job with their experiences on this.

Least favorite 5:
Stuff you can't really consider "anime." Yu-gi-oh, DBZ, Pokemon, etc. I loved Pokemon at one point...I had pokemon cards and the gameboy game. Then I realized like everyone else how crappy it is when I saw other anime. It's good for a certain age, though, like little kids who can't comprehend much and can live off the same ending every single time. You can throw Naruto in here too as well...I'm not even kidding the last 30 episodes or whatever have been so stupid it just annoys me. I stopped watching it for now but might catch up on it later, because it was great early on. Any anime that takes like a 30-episode haitus with crappy material should just be deemed bad IMO. Oh I didn't like FLCL either; yes everyone loved it but it was too random and Haruka/Mamimi's voices/personalities annoyed me.
ingshan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:24 am Reply with quote
Say, I'll give my Top5 and WorstFew...

1 Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu!
This is one of the funniest ever anime I've ever watch. The jokes keeps on coming non-stop! And the animation is nice too. Chidori is energetic and Sagara is dumb! Haha, enjoy the show!

2 Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid
They're back with more mechas and more fights! Better CG compared to the first one. Parts of them are as funny as Fumoffu!

3 Azumanga Daioh
They are cute. They are adorable. They are funny!

4 Full Moon wo Sagashite
This is very touching. I like the songs and the plot is good too. A good shoujo anime. I would recommend it.

5 Kimi ga Nozomu Eien
It gave me surprises as the plot continues. Overall good plot and very touching. The character develops through out the story. Nice OP and ED songs...

==================

Worst Anime Ever (my view):

1 Now and Then, Here and There
Too depressing. Can't really see a plot. Gave me an unpleasant taste after watching each episodes...

2 Green Green
Plain stupid and dirty jokes. The 3 guys are acting like barbarians. Too much 'fan-services'.

3 NieA_7
That alien is nothing but annoying. Can't really understand the whole story...weird.

4 Naruto/Dragonball Z
Drag to long. Not developing...to slow.

5 Excel Saga
Too much in everything (deathS of the same people, noise...). However, the OP and ED songs are funny and somewhat nice...
major_pain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I don't have a huge list, so I'm going to go with my 5 favourite series' and 2 favourite movies.

shows:

1. Scrapped Princess: I absolutely loved this series. I thought it would be a straight forward fantasy show (you know, swords and magic and shit), but then science fiction elements jumoed out of nowhere until the show became one of the most amazing blends of the two genres that I have ever seen. Parts of this show had me bouncing all over the place on the emotional spectrum. From almost bawling to feeling absolutely wonderful, mainly from the ending. And speaking of the ending, that has got to be my most favourite ending ever. EVAR!

2. Mushishi: Kind of surprising seeing as my iterests in anime fall slightly more towards the action side, but this show is unquestionably one of my favourites. I love the way that they take Japanese myths and twist it until they can be explained with the mushi. (at least I'm pretty sure thats what's going on) This one also toys with my emotions a bit. I swear to god I almost cried in episode 6. And I don't cry over many things. Hells I never even shed a tear in Elfen Lied.

3. FLCL: Its funny and packs a shit ton of goodness into six episodes.

4. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and 2nd GIG: I started these expecting mindless action and ended up enjoying two great stories. I love the characters, the action, and pretty much everything else.

5. Bleach: Its always nice to have something that lets just turn your brain off and enjoy some great action. For me thats Bleach.

Movies:

1. Princess Mononoke: I think this is unquestionably my favourite anime ever. It was the first one I ever watched, way back before I thought anything other 'oh look, cartoon.'

2. AppleSeed: Its sort of hit or miss the cel-shading character models, and I thought it was pretty freaking awsome. I liked the story, and thought the last ten or so minutes were the greatest out of any anime I've ever seen.

[edit] apparently I fail at BBCode tags. Embarassed
Angelcake

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:40 am Reply with quote
Lessee.......well, keep in mind that I like odd and over-the-top anime, so my choices will surprise some people.

5.Kekko Kamen-One of the most bizarre animes ever made, inspired by one of the most bizarre manga ever made, and created by one of the most bizarre mangaka to ever live. This is one of Go Nagai's little nuggets of weirdness that no anime fan should pass up.

4.Dragon Half-A little bit of nuttiness. A mixture of fantasy, comedy, and ecchiness. Noone should pass it up....ever.

3.Black Lion-Another bit of Go Nagai nuttiness. A short, ultra-violent alternate history tale involving feudal Japan, ninjas, and alien technology.

2.Gatchaman-The inspiration for Battle of the Planets. Created by Tatsuo Yoshida (who also created Speed Racer), this was the first super hero team anime, and set the standard for sentai

1.Project A-ko- My absolute favorite OAV series, and one of the greatest of all time. Filled with ecchines, action, comedy, parody, and guest apperrances from other series. Don't pass it up.

Now for my least favorite.

3.One Piece-I love Eichiro Oda, and I love his manga. However, I will NEVER forgive 4Kids for bastardizing this series. EVER.

2.Sonic X-Same here. I love Sonic the Hedgehog, but 4Kids once again destroyed this thing.

1.Pilot Canidate AKA Canidate for the Goddess-I can't say anything else about this piece of garbage that hasn't already been said. It made no sense, and the cheap CGI is an insult to CGI in general.
el2king

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:51 am Reply with quote
Here's my top 5 anime that I've watched so far (I've watched about 30 different series in their entirety so far and some others in bits and pieces):

5) Great Teacher Onizuka
It's laugh out loud funny. Those episodes with just comedy and no drama are just great. Like all other comedy series, this one does become more serious in the end, but it still preserves the great humor. I just loved watching Onizuka's personality in the show.

4) Elfen Lied
This series has some of the best and most gory action scenes ever. The show just combines romance, drama, and gore in the best way possible. This series is a must-watch if you're looking for something new and non-repetitve from other anime series.

3) Ai Yori Aoshi (this includes Enishi as well)
I know there are a lot of romance series and I watched some other ones (His and Her Circumstances, Love Hina, etc.), but this series is by far the best and most memorable of them all. This series was so touching and moving, and the affection between Aoi and Kaoru is something that I wish I could have in my own life. The series also moves at a nicer pace than most other series in any genre.

2) Fruits Basket
This series was the first one that made truly appreciate how great anime can be. Even though Tohru is a girl, the lessons brought about in this series can be applied to anyone in one's own life. This is a series that will make you cry and appreciate how precious life can be. Plus, the comedy in this series can be subtle, but yet very funny.

1) Kiddy Grade
Yeah, I know people either really love it or really hate it, but I loved this series. The drama and suspense were there, and I really enjoyed the action. This series made me really want to root for the good guys (Eclair and Lumiere). One thing about this series that I really loved, and this may be only true for this series: it had an ending that you knew that the series was over and you wouldn't need to ask for a second season. It's nice for an anime series to actually have a conclusive ending and not a cliffhanger.

Well, these are my top 5. Just to note, my top 3 series on my list also deserve 10/10 in my mind.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:03 pm Reply with quote
how did i miss this thread before? Shocked anyways.....

TOP ELEVEN (in no real order mind you)

CHOBITS

This series was what really made me realize that i really like comedy/romance series. You can't help but love all of the characters, the plotline, while humorus and interesting, adds some elements that will leave questions in you're brain (ie. should we fall in love with robots?) plus, Chii is the cutest most innocent thing around. There's not really many cons here, at least not any that I can think of.

ELFEN LIED

First off, let me say that anyone who writes this off as a perverted sci-fi/slasher romp is a freaking total moron. They obviously watch about, oh, two episodes i'd wager. Once you get a decent way into this series (which isnt hard, it's one of those series that really grabs you and makes you wanna watch on and on...) the story gets interesting, how all the characters lives are deeply intertwined, the gore gets even better (and more brutal!) and, aside of Chii, Nyuu is the cutest, most innocent and loveable character ever to grace anime. The end is a tearjerker, hell, so is the rest of the show. However, i will admit, one large con here is that some of this series was too bad. For instance, spoiler[when the boy's at the orphanage beat lucy's dog until it died with a vase, then, through grit and tears, she slaughtered them all in seconds, caking the entire lunchroom in blood.]. stiff like that scene made me want to turn it off, just because of the unatural amounts of cruelty and pain.

MEW MEW POWER

This is, i admit, a bit girly, and somewhat follows the basic magic girl shouen format...ok, now that thats out of the way...This series isnt bad. at all. It's quite interesting, a must for all who enjoyed sailor moon at all. The art is really nice, characters look great. Also a long series (52 episodes i believe) so it will keep you entertained for a while. Again, people who write this off in a second as "shouen magic girl kiddy shit" are also deeply retarded.

CHRONO CRUSADE

Chrono Crusade, is in simple terms, unique on every level. Some of the best art, most fun characters, and they even got some serious drama in amidst the frantic fighting and comedic moments; and this was no forced drama either. it fit in perfectly, and even made me (and others too) cry. The ending is simply, perfect for the series, however sad it is. Truly a great show, not to be missed.

SAIKANO

This series, to be put simple, is not for people who are easily brought to tears. If so, avoide it; it's amazing in every sense of the word, however this is the king/queen of all tearjerking anime around. It would even make baby jesus cry!

AIR TV

Air, is (what i believe) the current pinacle of Drama/Romance series in anime....hell, in anything. The art, is easily #1 in the character desgin department; everything here, is perfect. Each character looks great, even minimal one episode crap characters. Enviornments are also amazing, much emphasis on the ocean scenes here. The show, is very, very sad twords it's end, even at times in the start+end, and grips you all the way through. Much like SP, this show is also recieving great reviews; everyone loves air!

CARD CAPTOR SAKURA

I don't think there's much to say here; Im going to say now, this series was mostly mediocre. However, i liked it alot. I have no idea as to why. Decent art, decent story, the movies were good, just...interesting show. Like yugioh (american) only without the massive amounts of gay.

BLEACH

everyone loves bleach, thats all there is to it. The characters are good, art is top notch, abnd the story is basic shouen...so it seems. However, I, and millions of others, have falllen in love with bleach; It's alot more interesting than it appears!

HELLSING

an old series, yes; however, one of the best. Hellsing is a bloody, violent vampire filled romp that i can't help but love. Characters are really fun (alucard especially) the story, although not revolutionary/tearjerking, is good (gets the job done quite good) this is still a great show. You can't possibly hate Hellsing, unless you're just against Action/Awesomeness anime....

LOVE HINA

the fact that this appears at the bottom of the list reflects nothing on the shows quality; This gem right here lead me to Chobits, and i also highly reccomend it. It's cute, You fall in love with all the girls (even the guy) the story is captivating, the end is great, the art works....There's even a fair number of movies to keep you tided over once the show comes to a close. If you like romance/comedy, then this is just as highly reccomended as chobits!

VIPER GTS

Hentai? yes. But very interesting hentai, with good characters and a decent story with good conflicts. Cute, airy art. I liked it. Wish it was longer than three episodes though -_-

Last edited by NyuuChan on Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 28 of 122