• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: No Oscar Glory for Howl's Moving Castle

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
buttercupboxer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:25 pm Reply with quote
it was nice to see the animation category filled with movies not from Disney.
CGI is the American answer to the anime boom, even so I'm looking forward to over the hedge. looks like they've done a good job with the characters form one of the funniest comics strips going right now.
i think there's been a lot of catch-up voting for the animation picture prize, it was claymation's turn this year.
and let's face tim burton is the academy black sheep.
glad i can just watch what i want to and not worry about it!
Maceart

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Ang Lee won! GO TAIWAN!

I still think that they should do a away with the "Animation" category because it's derogatory to group all animation under a single genre. We don't see "Best Drama" or "Best Comedy" awards now, don't we?
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Maceart wrote:
Ang Lee won! GO TAIWAN!

I still think that they should do a away with the "Animation" category because it's derogatory to group all animation under a single genre. We don't see "Best Drama" or "Best Comedy" awards now, don't we?

If it's the Golden Globes, you most certainly do see "Best Drama" vs "Best Comedy" categories occour. Frankly, I think it may work better that way since the mediums are very different in the way the stories may be told. Having seperate categories prevent some titles from getting shafted. It's not derogatory at all - rather, it presents a more even playing field for others to get their voice out and get some recognition.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
SICHero

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I liked Howl's... was it the best Miyazaki has done? Probably not. I didn't see W&G but I like the earlier shorts Park did. Also liked Corpse Bride but I didn't think it was that good (to win an academy award... technically was good, but too short and not enough variety in story to me)...
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:33 pm Reply with quote
jon_a_ross wrote:
sailornyanko wrote:
jon_a_ross wrote:
But then again, the oscars are all about popularity and not actual technical ability, so anything is possible.

This is such a silly statement, I can't help but laugh. Sounds like a typical long-shot liner from a typical angsty anime fan who knows nothing about animation in the first place.

Actually I'm a 4th year Animation Student at the University of Lethbridge, but that aside. I don't respect the Oscars anymore because they are weighted on so many things beyond the movie that is actually getting the award. Everyone, even in the industry, will admit that some movies win because they loved that actor in another movie but don't give him the award last year because they were giving it to some other guy for his movie of 5 years ago.

The Academy Awards actually are one of the better awards, becuase to my knowledge, each award is voted by their peers- so the sound awards are voted by the registered Academy members who are sound engineers, costume design by costume designers, etc.

Only Best Film is voted upon by the whole Academy (which includes past award winners). The only other award that is voted upon by the whole Academy is, interestingly...

Best Animated Feature...

buttercupboxer wrote:
it was nice to see the animation category filled with movies not from Disney.

Actually, How's Moving Castle is from Disney, via the Buena Vista Japanese office, who funded a good deal of the film.
Maceart wrote:

So we should do away with the best animated short and combine all the short subjects into one category? Combine best original score and best original song into one category, best film music?

Widya Santoso
--
And seeing Hayao Miyazaki is now an Academy member, which film did he vote for...?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps one of the reasons Disney movies end up in the academy awards is because they are good movies and deserve the credit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
deathbringer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Wallace and Grommit was one of those headbanging films. And by "headbanging" I meant I banged my head against a chair the entire time because it was far more entertaining then actually watching the movie. I haven't come across a single Wallace and Grommit film that hasn't made me want to sob uncontrollably at how boring it is.
nobinobita

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Tondog38 wrote:
Mononoke is really overrated.

Quote:
Wallace and Gromit is better than any anime ever.

Wow, you must be so open minded if you can login to an anime site and admit that there's stuff out there better than Anime! And you must have such high standards too to be able to poop on such well regarded anime gems! Bravo! You are undoubtably smarter and more sophisticated than your peers!

I kid.

I hope that didn't sound too mean.

Anyway, sure alot of people feel that Howl wasn't Miyazaki's best film, but cmon, that's like saying that the Mona Lisa isn't really DaVinci's best painting. It was still a really awesome film (but i'm also the kinda guy that wasn't dissappointed when i got to finally see the Mona Lisa in person).

I'm not upset that Wallace and Gromit won, because it was a nice film, and if anything, the Academy Awards are just an indication of what is widely popular among people who work in the industry (directly or peripherally). So whoever wins deserves to win, because it is a Democratic process and reflects nothing beyond popularity.

I do however, think that as weak as a Miyazaki film it was, Howl was still a better movie than Wallace and Gromit (to me). And I don't think it's such a bad thing to be a fanboy about it. People should honestly and openly enjoy what they like.

I've seen this disturbing trend lately where people feel a need to second guess how much they really enjoy things, mostly to go against popular oppinion and intuition to prove to oneself that you are indeed truly open minded and sophisticated. And well, i find that depressing. So you like Miyazaki, and so does everyone else; be happy about it!

I'm not saying anyone on this site is necesarily doing this (not even the guy i quoted, who i'm sure really doesn't like those movies--and thats fine), but if you are downplaying how much you like something, please stop! Be true to yourself!
Quote:
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:32 pm Reply with quote
And you must be open minded as well. Sorry, but as much as you feel otherwise it seems a great many disagree with you and I am one of them. Howl's is still a good movie, but sorry, greater than Wallace and Gromit it is not.

The Academy awards is hardly an indication of what is most popular, anyone who watches the awards would know that, especially since they are often accused of ignoring the masses. Seems, depending on who you talk to, they are accused of one or the other, funny how that always seems to be the case in such matters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ferrarimanf355

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Tenchi: No one's taking Cars seriously. It's a toss-up between Ice Age 2 and the Pom Poko remake, Over The Hedge.

Maybe a few people in the Box Office Mojo forum, under the mistaken impression that Cars is a NASCAR movie (it's not; the NASCAR stuff is all in the first couple of minutes), are underestimating it, but it's John Freakin' Lasseter, so I don't think any of the other CGI films this year will touch it.

Don't forget that Larry The Cable Guy plays a rusty tow truck. And he says "GIT-ER-DONE!" Cool

Howl's Moving Castle didn't win, and yet, Memiors of a Geisha won three awards, including costume design. Am I the only one who thought something was wrong there? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nobinobita

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Wow, you must be so open minded if you can login to an anime site and admit that there's stuff out there better than Anime! And you must have such high standards too to be able to poop on such well regarded anime gems! Bravo! You are undoubtably smarter and more sophisticated than your peers!

Wow, you must be even more open minded than that guy!!! If he's arrogant for just directly and simply stating his oppinion, then what does that make you for "subtly" and indirectly stating that you are even more sophisticated than him for calling him out![/quote]
nobinobita

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:30 am Reply with quote
nobinobita wrote:

Wow, you must be even more open minded than that guy!!! If he's arrogant for just directly and simply stating his oppinion, then what does that make you for "subtly" and indirectly stating that you are even more sophisticated than him for calling him out!

Sorry that was just my conscience kicking in. I apologise for coming across as more of an ass than i intended.

I did enjoy Wallace and Gromit--in fact i loved it! I thought it was a marvelous film done with love and conviction. It was funny and charming and genuine and timeless. A real classic. But i liked Howl more.

But i feel like i have to preface that statement by explaining that i really liked Wallace and Gromit too in order to have some credibility. And that seems funny...

I just think its a bit fishy that so many people are suddenly so critical of Miyazaki. I think alot of it stems from the universal praise and acclaim that people tend to shower him with. He has become popular, and widely known and now it doesn't feel as cool to like him.

At the same time, a consequence of his popularity in the States is that more people are seeing his films now, so more oppionions are being made. His films are no longer the exclussive domain of animation nerds who seek out his films already loving them. Now anyone can just go to Walmart and purchase them, and not everyones gonna like them. So its probably just cos more people are seeing his stuff and there are bound to be more dissenting oppinions.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:46 am Reply with quote
nobinobita wrote:

I just think its a bit fishy that so many people are suddenly so critical of Miyazaki. I think alot of it stems from the universal praise and acclaim that people tend to shower him with. He has become popular, and widely known and now it doesn't feel as cool to like him.

I think it's more that people are realizing, especially with Howl's Moving Castle, which was an excellent film but not his best, that he's a flawed human being like everyone else; he's a genius but not everything he makes is going to be solid gold.

Wallace & Gromit had more charm and was more entertaining, and that's what people voted for. It's not the end of the world; Miyazaki won the Oscar for what most folks consider his best film ever. There's no shame in it. The man was nominated, after all.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:13 am Reply with quote
I don't think it's that fishy in this case simply because Howl's just wasn't his strongest film. I know what you're saying, with popularity comes the anti-fans and the people who start to expect a slip up they start to look for it where it doesn't exist, it reminds me of the Spiderman film where the green goblin tells Spiderman that one thing people long to see is for a hero to fall. Look at the comments about Pixar and Cars, seems to me that their popularity is already breeding the same sentiment.

I know full well what you are saying and I agree with the premise as I see it often enough, I just don't believe that's the case this time around. Look, I enjoyed Howl's Moving Castle but it was definitely flawed and I can't ignore that either. There's nothing wrong with Miyazaki making a less spectacular film, heck even a movie of his seen as weak gets nominated, most producers or directors would kill for a "weak" film like that.
nobinobita

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There's nothing wrong with Miyazaki making a less spectacular film, heck even a movie of his seen as weak gets nominated, most producers or directors would kill for a "weak" film like that.

Hmmmm good points all around. I didn't really think of it from that angle, which makes me glad for posting in the first place.

BTW I just bought Howl last night and showed it to my animation class this morning (I'm currently in my Junior year studying animation at SCAD) and it went over well. My teacher (who is British and who was very happy for Aardman) enjoyed what she saw of the film very much.

I guess at the end of the day, we should be very glad to have had such wonderful animated films at all.

Also, i have no complaints whatsoever about any of the films nominated, or with the fact that Wallace and Gromit won. I think it deserved the win over Howl (even though i personally enjoyed Howl more--which doesn't mean its a BETTER film, just that i liked it more). I thought it was incredibly cool that the 3 films nominated this year included a traditionally animated (and anime) film, a stop motion puppet film, and a stop motion claymation film.

Hopefully that will send a message to the American studios that people are willing to see more than just cg (not that there's anything inherently wrong with cg--i'm just not looking forward to the dozen plus cheapo shrekish knockoffs that we'll be deluged with in the coming year).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6