• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Deadman Wonderland Manga to Return From Hiatus

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splitter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Sweet merciful YES! BRING IT ON!
Kohii

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Good for her. I don't know about the disc sales, but I sure hope it gets a second season someday.
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:05 pm Reply with quote
This series needs to be rescued. I really want to continue reading it and I would like not to resort to pirating to do so :/
AnimeDuelist15

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:43 pm Reply with quote
I Love this Manga so much. I am really excited to hear that the next chapter will start the last arc.
Tashfinz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait for it to come back since it's been a while. The series is a true masterpiece, so hopefull once the final arc is finished they can then make the next season or 2.
I made a video on this if any of you would be interested?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah4OV4oe5RU
Setsura1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:30 pm Reply with quote
OH HAPPY DAY!!! THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST XMAS GIFTS THIS OTAKU COULD ASK FOR!! ALSO, CONGRATS SENSEI!!!
CCharmanderK

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Kohii wrote:
Good for her. I don't know about the disc sales, but I sure hope it gets a second season someday.

While the show tanked horribly in Japan (the TV airings alone were so bad that no ratings data even exists for it), the series was a sleeper hit in North America. TV ratings were really high, with 950,000 to 1,000,000 viewers per episode, roughly on-par with premiere episodes of Bleach), and the DVD sales from FUNimation were extremely successful due to a fan-campaign orchestrated by Toonami fans before the sets went on sale. And from what I understand, FUNimation is actually looking into getting a second season produced in association with Williams Street and Cartoon Network, much like what happened with The Big O back in the day. And FUNimation actually had an animation production crew, having released at least two fully-animated movies in conjunction with Japanese companies. A second season of Deadman Wonderland created for the US market is a strong possibility, all things considered.

I'd also like to see a US manga licensor (Yen Press or Kodansha, preferrably) pick the manga back up for distribution. The original Tokyopop release needed a lot more love than it got, and now that the anime is out and selling fantastically, a re-release of the manga would benefit both licensors and fans alike.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Would love a 2nd season, but most of all I would like somebody to re-release the manga in NA. I want to collect the manga but can't because they are out of print and sold out everywhere Sad
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:08 am Reply with quote
HORRAY!!
This is very good news and made my day. Anime smile
Haterater

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:42 am Reply with quote
CCharmanderK wrote:
Kohii wrote:

While the show tanked horribly in Japan (the TV airings alone were so bad that no ratings data even exists for it), the series was a sleeper hit in North America. TV ratings were really high, with 950,000 to 1,000,000 viewers per episode, roughly on-par with premiere episodes of Bleach), and the DVD sales from FUNimation were extremely successful due to a fan-campaign orchestrated by Toonami fans before the sets went on sale. And from what I understand, FUNimation is actually looking into getting a second season produced in association with Williams Street and Cartoon Network, much like what happened with The Big O back in the day. And FUNimation actually had an animation production crew, having released at least two fully-animated movies in conjunction with Japanese companies. A second season of Deadman Wonderland created for the US market is a strong possibility, all things considered.

I'm very delighted to hear this. Hope that comes to fruition of another anime season and perhaps future anime that is successful on Toonami in the same situation.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:10 am Reply with quote
While this is good news for Japanese fans, I can't celebrate until I can actually pick up the books themselves in my own language. I hope it doesn't suffer the same unfortunate fate as Hetalia and get "print-on-demand" releases exclusively through RightStuf.com. Can anyone name ONE title that used to be printed by Tokyopop and has been rescued since the company's closure (other than Kodansha titles which were let go long before the company shut down)?

There needs to be more episodes of the anime adaptation, at least for the US market (kinda like DBZ Kai, Sonic X, Ultimate Muscle, and The Big O). With the manga entering it's final arc, it shouldn't be as hard to make that happen.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:39 am Reply with quote
Excellent, I wonder when HOTD is next. Black Lagoon returned also. Good news all around Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:39 am Reply with quote
I love Deadman Wonderland anime series on the Cartoon Network and would like to see the story to the final end I would also like to see the original manga series as well. I wish the publishers would not go out of business I have been waiting for North American publisher to pick up the Cool Devices manga series so I can purchase it. Surprised
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I read a little of the manga and saw the anime. I can see why the ratings for this series was so low to begin with. It's a very depressing and violent show to start with. I'm not sure I want to see the show again or read the manga. I'd rather watch "Tenchi Muyo GXP." That show,at least,is a lot more fun to see.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Sakurazuka_Reika wrote:
This series needs to be rescued. I really want to continue reading it and I would like not to resort to pirating to do so :/

Same here. A company like Dark Horse or Yen Press would do it justice in my humble opinion. They've both done well with some similar or equally dark-themed series before (Blade of The Immortal, Hellsing, Trigun, and Doubt, Judge, Higurashi, and Umineko, respectively).

I wasn't in love with TP's translation of some parts of DW, but I'd thankful they released what they did. Now another publisher needs to license-rescue this crazy, over-the-top, stylized bloodbath in its entirety.

Wish there was a way to pledge our support as fans/readers, like a Kickstarter or some such, to show those in the industry there's an audience that's willing to pay for what they love.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2