• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cowboy Bebop Blu-ray and DVD in Q3 from Anime Limited

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:17 am Reply with quote
The new distro yet to be named by Anime Limited (by Andrew Partridge formerly of Beez), has announced its first license and Cowboy Bebop will be coming to the UK in 2013 Q3 on Blu-ray as well as a DVD re-release. They'll be using the Japanese materials for the Blu-ray.

Facebook
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Just Passing Through wrote:
They'll be using the Japanese materials for the Blu-ray.

Facebook
what's that mean? Sub only for the BD then?
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

Facebook

They'll use the masters created for the BD release in Japan for the video, and probably the Japanese audio, while creating an HD English dub audio and subs from the US Bandai materials.
ninja noir

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:02 pm Reply with quote
This is nice, really wasn't expecting that.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

Facebook

They'll use the masters created for the BD release in Japan for the video, and probably the Japanese audio, while creating an HD English dub audio and subs from the US Bandai materials.
Well unless those masters were on film, which I highly doubt they will have been just upconverted SD masters, good but not true HD. I already have CB on DVD, and the movie as well, so will wait for something else I don't have, or something I have a few volumes unfinished of before they got dropped, like Hell Girl, and Kurau, Phantom Memory.
Norbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:50 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Facebook

Well unless those masters were on film, which I highly doubt they will have been just upconverted SD masters, good but not true HD. I already have CB on DVD, and the movie as well, so will wait for something else I don't have, or something I have a few volumes unfinished of before they got dropped, like Hell Girl, and Kurau, Phantom Memory.

Cowboy Bebop was shot on film so they will be proper HD masters and not just upconversions, More detailed info can be found on their Facebook page.

Btw, why would you doubt they would be "not" on film?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Norbie wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Facebook

Cowboy Bebop was shot on film so they will be proper HD masters and not just upconversions, More detailed info can be found on their Facebook page.

Well for one it was a TV series made in 1998, and for two, most if not all studios in 1998 used ENG cameras to NTSC tape for their rostrums in Japan during that time. So why are you so sure it was done on film?
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Meanwhile the US is screwed because Bandai still owns it and the sets are going OOP. UGH. Someone license it in R1 for the love of god.
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:04 am Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Meanwhile the US is screwed because Bandai still owns it and the sets are going OOP. UGH. Someone license it in R1 for the love of god.

On Anime Limited's Facebook Page, Andrew Partridge confirms that Cowboy Bebop has a film source, with some comparison pics from the Japanese Blu-ray.

He also says that the reason it's coming in Q3 and not sooner, is due to holdbacks.

Not always, but often when UK distros talk about contractual holdbacks, that means that someone in the US wants to release their version first. He also says somewhere that the new company will be using the same company that NISA use to author discs... Make of that what you will.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:15 am Reply with quote
It does has digital elements which have not been recreated (as was done for Lain) so they do not hold up as well.

I hope the NISA team have fully learned the lessons from the problems with their first few releases ^^;
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:15 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:

On Anime Limited's Facebook Page, Andrew Partridge confirms that Cowboy Bebop has a film source, with some comparison pics from the Japanese Blu-ray.

He also says that the reason it's coming in Q3 and not sooner, is due to holdbacks.

Not always, but often when UK distros talk about contractual holdbacks, that means that someone in the US wants to release their version first. He also says somewhere that the new company will be using the same company that NISA use to author discs... Make of that what you will.
With all due respect for our Mr. Partridge, but he'll have to do better than a vague mention on Facebook to convinve me it was done on 16, or even 35mm film. I'm not saying it couldn't be done as its still done for film, but a film is [not] a 28 episode half hour TV series. That would be an expensive way to produce and edit.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I've never heard of cell animated anime being recorded on anything other than film and everything I've heard from knowledgeable people is that Cowboy Bebop had a telecine (hence film) remaster in HD. Here are some screenshots of the Japanese BDs, grain and all:
http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showpost.php?p=2010089&postcount=45
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:56 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:

Well, if it was NISA then at least it wouldn't be sub only...I DO remember hearing somewhere though that Funi wanted Bebop. Don't remember where though.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I've never heard of cell animated anime being recorded on anything other than film and everything I've heard from knowledgeable people is that Cowboy Bebop had a telecine (hence film) remaster in HD. Here are some screenshots of the Japanese BDs, grain and all:
http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showpost.php?p=2010089&postcount=45
Never heard of a digital still store then? Those aren't grains, they're pixels. Cells are just the original way to create the scene, back lite. It was the perfered way since the beginning 100 years ago and yes done to frames of film, but when "Electronic News Gathering" broadcast cameras and record equipment became the new way cheaply, and then the invention of the digital still store in the early 90's, many studios dropped the use of film for video and near instant transfer to master tape. also SDi video, in use in 1998 as well, was the nearest thing to HD before HD came out so I'm not surprised at the sharpness of those. So until someone can show me a 16, or 35mm reel of film with "Cowboy Bebop Episode "N" on it I'll not be convinced.
Norbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:42 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Norbie wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Facebook

Well for one it was a TV series made in 1998, and for two, most if not all studios in 1998 used ENG cameras to NTSC tape for their rostrums in Japan during that time. So why are you so sure it was done on film?

I always thought anime was shot on film during the 90's, barring a few exceptions when some parts were done on computer, ie Lain, Kenshin OVA's.

But now their Facebook mentions that it will be a proper HD transfer and not just an upscale.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1