• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Battle Royale Poster Drawn by Bryan Lee O'Malley, Kevin Tong

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rigamortis-chan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:34 pm Reply with quote
WANT~!
the skinny

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:45 pm Reply with quote
This poster is a work of art!

-Can you imagine all the coins one could collect from all these deaths/defeats?-
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Oh gracious, LOL! It's kind of neat to see them collaborating with Bryan Lee O'Malley on this though. And, as morbid as it is, it's still better than the painting at the end of the movie.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:01 pm Reply with quote
All I have to say is....

NICE! Cool
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Oh god. I can imagine Shuya dressed as Scott Pilgrim and Kiriyama as Gideon.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Battle Royale has more impact in Japan partly because kids don't have access to guns, so it's disconcerting seeing them use 'em to kill for the first time. In American high schools though, we've seen kids with guns and know how to use 'em, so emotionally it's not that shocking from reality.
grooven

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:16 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Battle Royale has more impact in Japan partly because kids don't have access to guns, so it's disconcerting seeing them use 'em to kill for the first time. In American high schools though, we've seen kids with guns and know how to use 'em, so emotionally it's not that shocking from reality.
Um it is more than just guns and kids. It is classmates and friends that are forced to kill each other to survive. It is shocking and very different from our reality.

I am a huge fan of this franchise, but I can't help but want an HBO series that is more like the book.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:27 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

It's kind of pointless to argue such an opinion, but I'm going to say I think you have it backwards. I think this sort of thing has a bigger impact with us here in America because gun violence is so relevant in our country, especially with our schools. With Japan however it's something that has to be imagined. Which country do you really think relates to gun violence more? Anything you can relate to will affect you on a more emotional level.

Because of this I think some American viewers may find an unintentional streak dark humor to Battle Royale a lot of the Japanese viewers probably don't see because to us Americans because it's closer to reality. You're either entertained by this movie, or deeply disturbed, and somehow I don't think the Japanese find this movie as disturbing as most Americans would find it, especially if you're a student now, or were one around the time of Columbine.
Alunimus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
here in America because gun violence is so relevant in our country, especially with our schools.
And yet somebody within the government tries to prevent these new restrictions for purchasing the guns.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:25 am Reply with quote
As much as I like Bryan Lee O'Malley, this type of advertising is just a tad too hipster for my tastes.
Kami-samaAraragi131

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:36 am Reply with quote
Yes, I totally WANT it.
It's a pretty cool poster.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:16 am Reply with quote
chrisb wrote:
As much as I like Bryan Lee O'Malley, this type of advertising is just a tad too hipster for my tastes.

Scott Pilgrim is too 'mainstream geek' to be hipster anymore since it got a movie.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:00 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Japanese find this movie as disturbing as most Americans would find it, especially if you're a student now, or were one around the time of Columbine.
Oh wouldn't VP. Biden have a field day with this? Laughing
Yeah, who needs a fictional movie when you have the real thing nearly every month it seems. Maybe when someone finally massacres a few members in one of congress chambers will the US finally do something about it. Rolling Eyes
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:44 pm Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Um it is more than just guns and kids. It is classmates and friends that are forced to kill each other to survive. It is shocking and very different from our reality.

They shoot their classmates, friends, and families here too unfortunately. Sometimes by orders of the gangs they're involved with.

littlegreenwolf wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

It's kind of pointless to argue such an opinion, but I'm going to say I think you have it backwards. I think this sort of thing has a bigger impact with us here in America because gun violence is so relevant in our country, especially with our schools. With Japan however it's something that has to be imagined. Which country do you really think relates to gun violence more? Anything you can relate to will affect you on a more emotional level.

Unfortunately, many American teens are desensitized to such violence.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:55 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Unfortunately, many American teens are desensitized to such violence.

So you're going by the argument that children are desensitized to violence because of media, or because we as Americans are legally allowed to have guns? Because if it's the first, then Japan has the same issue and your argument is void. Japan's the one who created Battle Royale, something that would never happen in America because we're a bit TOO sensitive over the subject matter. If it's the later, the fact we're legally allowed to have guns has nothing to do with being desensitized to violence. Your example of gang violence is not the norm, and cannot be be used to stereotype American children.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2